Help/advice

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Peterstoneleigh

Help/advice

Post by Peterstoneleigh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 am

With very limited experience of building renovation I'm looking for some advice on my new project and any thoughts on this guitars origins etc.
I will try to add photos to this or a link to such on imgur.com
Problem 1. As you see the back is very warped, I assume because the back is a laminate and the grain of the inner layer goes diagonally. Any thoughts on straightening it? Take the struts off or not ? Wet it or not?
Problem 2. Surprised to see there is no tenon on the neck to join to the body. Am thinking of maybe inserting a dowel through from the inner block; good idea or not ?
Any thoughts on why some guitars like this are blacked inside - maybe to conceal the fact that it's a laminate ?
Scalloped fingerboard and V neck/head joint - any thoughts on maker/ country of origin ?
I think the frets may be Ivory (?) any thoughts on replacing the two that are missing.
All help/comments most welcome, Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MessyTendon

Re: Help/advice

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Water damage...or something. yikes...that's a project. I don't think it matters what you do, as long as you turn it into a labor of love. This is microsurgery. Do you think you can really fix that?

A new fingerboard, new frets, new heel block...basically you have to rebuild the entire thing. It's like taking a rusty classic car and re-doing all the sheet metal and preserving only a few bits...

I'm not so sure this one is worth it.

romanticguitars

Post by romanticguitars » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:54 pm

I thinks it's repairable, I had one to restore that was about as rough but the lady loved it and had purchased it for $40.00 at the local Goodwill... I would start by seeing what could actually be saved, as in removing all finish everywhere. You may be able to remove the entire block and glue it back together then use an inside bolt or as you said a dowel but I don't like those as much. Without actually seeing it I can't say for sure but you can send some photos to my email after you get all the finish off... so maybe a closer look? Keep in my the goal (in my opinion) is not to try and make it completely like new, but to preserve all you can of the original and at the same time make it playable, bringing back to life, so to speak.

Good luck with it, looks like fun to me! And an interesting instrument!
"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Segovia

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:19 pm

The neck joint is a mortice joint, usual for romantic guitars. No need for dowels or screws. It seems that yours has a resemblance to the Panormo model.
Pretty much anything can be restored. In strict economic commercial terms this would not be worth it but of course if you view it as a restoration project then those economics may not enter the equation.
Historicalguitars.

Peterstoneleigh

Post by Peterstoneleigh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks for your interest/comments guys.
I took the struts off the back, dampened and pressed it - it came out relatively flat but fairly quickly reverted to its warp.
Next I separated the veneer from the inner layer(which cracked) so I now have the veneer but because it won't now quite fit as the shape of the body has stressed slightly, I am thinking I will have to replace the back altogether.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

printer2

Post by printer2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Try ironing the back. Water alone will not cut it. You will have to clamp it after giving it a going over. Or a period in the oven and tweak the shape. I would want to retain the back. It looks like something that will need some time coaxing into shape but I do not see why it can not. Is it worth it? I could see it as being a challenge more interesting than playing a video game or doing crossword puzzles, but that is me.
Fred

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am

Ironing might make it worse, it just results in drying out one side of the back. I think you may have been able to leave the back as it was. Unless it was especially stiff clamping and gluing the back to the sides would have taken out the twist. A bit late now. The golden rule in restoration is to do as little as possible, removing the minimum of original material.
Historicalguitars.

printer2

Post by printer2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned, spritz on some water first, the steam can help. I figure if the back was going to be abandoned might as well give it a try. Worked for me with a solid piece of wood, might work with a plywood. As always YMMV.
Fred

Peterstoneleigh

Post by Peterstoneleigh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Anyone interested can see my progress at;
https://imgur.com/a/Evyts
via Imgur for iOS
Anyone know where I could get some suitable machine heads? 2 5/8 " between top and bottom rollers.

Return to “Luthiers”