Dieter Hopf Artista Membrane Model

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Dieter Hopf Artista Membrane Model

Postby GG Guitar » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Has anyone played this guitar? I played one briefly last week in a noisy shop and thought it sounded great, very loud and clear with a nice cedar tone.

There was a cuban guy playing who was so talented that I just had to stop and listen to him instead. 8)

The guitar looks very unique and I was told it has a lattice type structure under a section of the soundboard. It weighed a ton as well, very heavy construction.
GG Guitar

Re: Dieter Hopf Artista Membrane Model

Postby Vadim Nikitin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Photo of Artista Membrane with flash inside.
Vadim Nikitin

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:34 am

This is 1 of the guitars i tried while i was doing my pre-purchase research........ loud, good sustain & nice clean tone but the weight puts me off.........I don't like the touch (set-up, action & overall feel) as well. Must say the membrane thing is an innovative approach though.........
Grooveman JS

Postby Matthew22 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:35 am

This may be slightly off topic but when I was in the US I played A Dieter Hopf Pregreso SL (or just Progreso, I think it was this one http://www.luthiermusic.com/product_inf ... s_id=11380). and it was one of the most amazing guitars ever! even now I still think of it once in a while... the set up was little high though if I recall correctly. other models by Hopf just wern't the same.
Matthew22

Postby Louni » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 am

I haven't played it, but I would like to test how this unique system works.
Here the link of Dieter Hopf:
http://www.hopfguitars.com/katalog_detail.php?id=25
LG L.
Louni

Postby David McHarg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:37 pm

I've played one of these and i thought it was great. A few months ago i was in the market for a guitar and tried one of these. I tried one at the london guitar studio. At the time i had no idea about the membrane etc i just played it for a while and it sounded very good. In the end however i opted to buy a Rohan Lowe but the hopf was certainly interesting. The one i tried had very nice sound, quite loud and still nice rich trebles.

Cheers
David.
David McHarg

Postby Alexandru Marian » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Seems to function more or less like a normal lattice braced thin top, similar to what Dan Kellaway presented here not long ago, with the addition that the active area of the lower bout is bound and seems to come from another wood species or plank than the rest. It is also probably framed on the underside to isolate it from the rest of the box. The oval binding besides esthetically emphasizing o the "membrane" notion, it might also be intended as a vibrational barrier further isolating the active area from the rest.
Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Postby Vadim Nikitin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Alexandru Marian wrote:<...> with the addition that the active area of the lower bout is bound and seems to come from another wood species or plank than the rest <...>

The oval of membrane is made from the same piece of wood, but very thin. I can't imagine the exact thickness, but it's transparency comparable to 3 sheets of plain paper.
Vadim Nikitin

Postby Ryan Nitz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:42 am

Wow that IS thin! How does that compare to other thin-topped lattice guitars--is that fairly normal?
Ryan Nitz

Postby Damian Lodge » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 am

Ryan Nitz wrote:Wow that IS thin! How does that compare to other thin-topped lattice guitars--is that fairly normal?

My lattice guitars are thinned to just under a 1mm around the edges. Anything under .8mm and you get structural issues.

Cheers

Damian
Damian Lodge

Postby Justfun » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I would like to know?
Since the Top is about 1mm will it develop a crack line in the future... VS the traditional ?

fred
Fred
Justfun

Postby ben etow » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 am

Hi,

I briefly played two of them (not at te same time, without comparing to a reference guitar in good conditions). One was homogeneous and seemed projecting, sustaining quite well, with a nice dynamic range. The other one was much less homogeneous (too obvious differently sounding notes - not only one wolf note...).
The tone colour wasn't what most players could call beautiful, but most player should then agree too that other - traditionnally buit - guitars dont have a beautiful tone colour.
The first comparable traditional guitars which came to my mind were Paco Santiago MarĂ­n's, somehow among the best I know.
Nevertheless, I would need a full comparison session to evaluate them with more accuracy.
ben etow

Postby Justfun » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 am

Great Thanks Ben Etow...

Fred
Fred
Justfun

Return to Luthiers