Requinto

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
hsmeets

Requinto

Postby hsmeets » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:22 pm

I am looking for advice on requinto guitars. I purchased a cheapie recently which I cleaned up, gave new tuners and strings, mainly to be able to find out in practice whether this is a useful instrument in a classical ensemble. Since the answer is yes but my instrument sounds like a glorified shoebox I am thinking about buying a better one.

Any advice on this type of instrument would be highly appreciated. I expect to use it mainly for 3-4 voice South-American music: tango, milonga etc.

rgds Hans Smeets
---
Esteve GR11 - very nice instrument

devp

Re: Requinto

Postby devp » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi most luthiers will build a requinto if you ask Ive got one by dave Gregory
its on loan from a friend who only plays 8-10 string now
its a bit different so have included a photo

cut away 24 fret extended finger board with a sound post inside

The Granados /esteve range are V good off the shelf
Ive got an Octave and contra bass so the requintos should be too.

Also Burgette do a range that are also good I have the Baritone and terz so again the requintos should be ok

try an ensemble using 3,4,5 different instrunents it if a different world.

cheers paul
dave%20gregory%2024%20fret%20requinto_JPG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MikFik

Postby MikFik » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Here is a picture of my requinto sitting with her sister and brother. It's the one on the right. I like to do things differently so I built mine with 9 strings. The bass strings have octave strings running along side them like a 12 string. She sounds real bright and shiny and is tuned to A like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret. She works well at G with regular guitar strings but really shines with Requinto strings on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vic-victor

Postby vic-victor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:25 pm

There are some cheap requintos from Paracho on e - b a y. Are they any good, or more likely the "shoe boxes"?

Return to “Luthiers”