Requinto

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Requinto

Postby hsmeets » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:22 pm

I am looking for advice on requinto guitars. I purchased a cheapie recently which I cleaned up, gave new tuners and strings, mainly to be able to find out in practice whether this is a useful instrument in a classical ensemble. Since the answer is yes but my instrument sounds like a glorified shoebox I am thinking about buying a better one.

Any advice on this type of instrument would be highly appreciated. I expect to use it mainly for 3-4 voice South-American music: tango, milonga etc.

rgds Hans Smeets
---
Esteve GR11 - very nice instrument
hsmeets

Re: Requinto

Postby devp » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi most luthiers will build a requinto if you ask Ive got one by dave Gregory
its on loan from a friend who only plays 8-10 string now
its a bit different so have included a photo

cut away 24 fret extended finger board with a sound post inside

The Granados /esteve range are V good off the shelf
Ive got an Octave and contra bass so the requintos should be too.

Also Burgette do a range that are also good I have the Baritone and terz so again the requintos should be ok

try an ensemble using 3,4,5 different instrunents it if a different world.

cheers paul
dave%20gregory%2024%20fret%20requinto_JPG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
devp

Postby MikFik » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Here is a picture of my requinto sitting with her sister and brother. It's the one on the right. I like to do things differently so I built mine with 9 strings. The bass strings have octave strings running along side them like a 12 string. She sounds real bright and shiny and is tuned to A like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret. She works well at G with regular guitar strings but really shines with Requinto strings on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
MikFik

Postby vic-victor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:25 pm

There are some cheap requintos from Paracho on e - b a y. Are they any good, or more likely the "shoe boxes"?
vic-victor

Return to Luthiers