Info about Dauphin Guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Info about Dauphin Guitars

Postby flat3rd » Sat May 17, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello all,
In searching through the posts I've come across a couple of you who have Dauphin Guitars. I got my Dauphin from my teacher about ten years ago and it has been my only classical ever since. Its a model DS45 with a beautiful cedar top and a great sound, but in looking here and elsewhere on the internet I haven't been able to find any information regarding them. If those of you with Dauphin's have any clue as to their history or any info really, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
-Brad
flat3rd

Re: Info about Dauphin Guitars

Postby mrfloyd » Sat May 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Hey Brad,

I had a Dauphin guitar when I was doing my undergrad at Southern Illinois. I no longer have it but I can tell you that I liked the sound and wish I kept it. Here is some history.

These guitars were imported by George Dauphanis (sp?) and he was located in Springfield Illinois. I met him when I purchased my guitar back in 1992. What I found out was that he, at the time, was having these guitars built in Spain and he would slap his lables on them. Of course I did not find this out untill many years later. He began doing this in the 70's Not quite sure they are made in Spain anymore, they may be made in Japan at this point. I know his son took over at some point.

I played some at USC around 2000 and they were resonant easy to play guitars. I suspect that the quality , as with all guitars built under these conditions, vary greatly.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
Vince Varriale
mrfloyd

Postby flat3rd » Sat May 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info, thats more than I've been able to find out in years, thanks! Mine is still of the vintage that it was made in Spain, at least according to the label. I assume you've upgraded from the dauphin since your ownership, and I'm looking to do the same soon. What are you playing now?
flat3rd

Postby mrfloyd » Sat May 17, 2008 7:39 pm

I have a 2000 ceder/br Bernabe concierto guitar. I'm probably going to sell in the very near future. Great guitar, looking for something else however. Excellent condition.

A word about Dauphin guitars, you don't, or I have not seen very many, on the secondary market. IMO they were great guitars for the money. I would love to get one again as a beater guitar. With the above guitar it has a french polish that if you look at it gets screwed up. Not good for an A-frame.
Vince
mrfloyd

Postby flat3rd » Sat May 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Yeah, mine spent a couple years in a dorm room, and survived a heater incident where a radiator heater was left on high in the room for a week with it just sitting on the stand while I was on vacation. One session with a neck press and a splint for the crack where the neck meets the aforementioned beautiful cedar top later, it still going strong. I'm thinking it may be a work guitar when another comes along. It pays to have a friend who is an ex luthier for Gibson and a father who's a cabinetmaker... :). I think i'd feel too guilty selling it.
flat3rd

Postby wianno » Sun May 18, 2008 11:17 am

mrfloyd,

You don't indicate your location in your profile, so I don't know if this will help you. I played a beautiful sounding Dauphin along with an very old Takamine 132 a couple of months ago at Amherst Music House & Guitar in Amherst, MA, which has a large inventory of collectibles. The price of the Dauphin was about a $100 higher than the Tak, around $900.

Jack
nulla nisi ardua virtus ... Ovid
wianno

Postby nycandre » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:18 am

Great to hear some information on these guitars. I bought mine from my teacher in the late 80's, and in comparison with others over the years, it is certainly in the $1000+ class. Not too surprising as it was at some point Barbosa Lima's studio recording guitar. The label says Dauphin 60, made in Japan. I recently compared it with one of the best guitars ever made (and still made, here in the USA), a custom made Byers - the difference is, the Byers produces notes with an even cleaner separation and depth (it is also costs about 7 X more ;- )
Since I took photos of my friends' Byers, I posted it online: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/3027923141/ (notice the special way the springs are attached. )
nycandre

Postby flat3rd » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:57 am

That is too cool...LOVE that bridge! Mine was the midrange Dauphin at the time, the $800 model, bought in 1997 and I haven't had it appraised since. I'd love to see a couple pictures of your Dauphin if you could post them. My teacher seems to remember getting these for his students a while back and liking them a great deal. Are you playing any other gutiars at the moment?
flat3rd

Postby nycandre » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:39 am

Interesting and quite logical, this bridge, eh ! Will shoot and post some pics of my Dauphin one of these days .. I do have a backlog of todos, tho. I'm not practicing much these days so if anything I'd be looking at a keyboard to be more into music these days - I also have an inexpensive but well intuned Takamine nylon acoustic amplified HG5202SC reserved for banging around *and* guest players whom I don't know too well ;-)
nycandre

Postby nycandre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 am

Ah - I had forgotten about these notes. Since I did have a picture of my friend Silas* playing it recently, here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/8 ... 879524179/. Whenever I visit him, if I can I'll bring it along. He has this uncanny ability to really make it sing. Actually I see him in the same series playing his beloved Ramirez too.

(*) He's the one who literally forced me to buy it many years ago, telling me I just *had* to buy it - I thought the price far too much at the time, and whatever its quality, far exceeding what I needed - but he was right and I'm glad I bought it. My old beginner'sTakamine sounds very tin like comparatively.
Last edited by nycandre on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nycandre

Postby GeoffB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi nycandre, welcome back. The forum may have changed since you were last here, so you may find this page useful for links to current helpfiles, etc.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby Joe de V » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I bought my Dauphin Model 23 CG Used from Guitar Center "Used Classical Guitars" web site a couple of years ago and it is the best Used guitar I have ever purchase. This model was made in Japan -circa 1985- with a solid top and a beautiful sound regardless of what make of strings I use. (I never pay more than $9.00 for a set) .This guitar has been my "work-horse" practicing guitar ever since. They are very hard to find in the used market but if you discover one while looking for a used CG consider it as a possible good quality -value buy.
Joe de V

Postby homeyg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:00 pm

I have a 1982 Dauphin "Concert Special" and from what "Chris" at Dauphin said about this instrument back in the 90's is that it was made by the Sakuria-Khono Company. Does anyone know about this model or how to contact the company? I had a few instructors at Cincinnati's Conservatory play it and were impressed and agreed it was a Khono.
homeyg

Postby GeoffB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi homeyg, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Floyd--good to see a fellow Saluki. As you wrote, Dauphin guitars were marketed by Dauphin Company, owned by George Dauphinais, of Springfield Illinois--hence the name of the guitar. I spoke with one of the Dauphinais's folks a few years back and found him to be friendly and the general consensus is, from what I have read, the Dauphinais clan are very friendly, honest and know their stuff. I believe the guitars were made in Japan and it seems the line disappeared last century--used one float about every so often. From what I have heard and read they were a pretty good factory line--probably on par with Yamaha classical guitars.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars
Keith

Next

Return to Luthiers