Alhambra 7P

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Alhambra 7P

Postby rdc1991 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:16 am

I am concidering getting an Alhambra 7P which is there cheapest all solid wood model and I was wandering if any of you have any experience with this model?

Rowdy
rdc1991

Postby Skai » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:02 am

I've tried many Alhambra guitars and I must say that I'm not that keen on their entry-level full-solid classicals. They aren't really worth the money where I stay, and Alhambras are really cheap where I am. How much is the 7p where you stay?

Just for the comparison, I have an Alhambra 7Fc (entry-level full-solid flamenco blanca) and it costs only SGD$1200 (Singapore dollars). That's only about USD$740 or GBP400.
Skai

Postby goldberg » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:45 pm

I have an alhambra 7p, it has a good volume for its price, but the sound is not full,a little cold, however it's a good guitar for its price and an optimum study guitar,I payed it 400 euro in italy
goldberg

Postby goldberg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:23 pm

sorry , i was wrong, :shock: my alhambra is a 7 c
goldberg

Postby cantemaza » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:32 am

I have an Alhambra 8p and am very happy with the sound and playability. I'd say go for it but try out more than one to test the sound and feel. You can have the same two models but a different sound.

-Cantemaza de miye do
cantemaza

Re: Alhambra 7P

Postby ScottW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 am

I bought a 7P this week and though I am new to classic guitar, I am a very experienced guitarist and own a very high end acoustic and electrics.
One way I measure tonal qualities of a guitar is to place my ear on the upper bout side and just listen while I play. I have done this on every guitar I auditioned to buy. I can hear subltlies that aren't always heard when just projected from the guitar top several feet away. This is the most articulate, bright and LOUD guitar I have ever owned. It was TOO loud to do my tone test without approaching hurting my ears due to volume. It is amazingly loud, expressive, articulate and as I said, on the bright side (as opposed to many cedar guitars I've played).

I highly recommend the Alhambra 7P for up to intermediate performers and serious hobbyists. If you tour, play regularly professionally or the like, I would imagine you might want a guitar built to your specs. Since I'm not in that category as a CG player, it is more than enough quality guitar for my needs and I enjoy it thoroughly. It is one of those guitars that just make you smile and want practice and play. :D
ScottW

Postby Ramon Amira » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 pm

The Alhambra 7P is a fine guitar, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. I would also recommend that you take a look at several Jose Ramirez guitars that fall into the same general price range as the Alhambra 7P - Ramirez 1NE - 2NE - R1 - R2.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Bleeth » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I almost made a decision to buy a new 7P spruce top for about 1075$ (and i thought it was a fair price) but when i saw Skai's post which mentions that they are not a good buy even at 740$ i don't know what to think now. And i thought i finally decided after a long time of thinking and now i'm hasitating. I know there probably are guitar that are giving you more for the money but the market in my country is pretty slim. . All i could find till now are these brands : Alhambra, Aria, Hohner, Ibanez, Iberica, Gewa, Yamaha, Admira, Almansa, Cuenca, Valencia, Flight, Rodriguez Caballero, Kantare, Perez, Joan Cashimira, Washburn, Stagg (and most of the guitars are a low end under 300$ models). Any advice what to do (import guitar is not really an option 'cause it would cost me too much in the end) ? Any good models from the above brands if Alhambra is not what i thought it was ? Was thinking of spending up to 900$ but was willing to go up to 1100$ if that ment i was getting something much better (and i thought for some reason Alhambra was it). Now to mention that i'm a pure amateur who is playing only at home for the pleasure of it so i don't really need a top of the class guitar, just want something better than the cheap instrument (Melodija Mengeš C-107 (1993)) i was playing for 19 years (and which recently got damaged).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Bleeth

Postby Macleod410 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Don't buy it, there's better guitars out there . Look at a camps m10 , way better
Macleod410

Postby Bleeth » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Macleod410 wrote:Don't buy it, there's better guitars out there . Look at a camps m10 , way better

Sure there are, tons off them, but since i'm not importing my guitar (mainly because of the 25% VAT) the only options i have are the brands i wrote in the previous post . Was thinking of 7P cause all solid guitar would be nice to have.
Bleeth

Postby Guitar-ded » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 pm

YasmineBleeth wrote:
Macleod410 wrote:Don't buy it, there's better guitars out there . Look at a camps m10 , way better

Sure there are, tons off them, but since i'm not importing my guitar (mainly because of the 25% VAT) the only options i have are the brands i wrote in the previous post . Was thinking of 7P cause all solid guitar would be nice to have.

Hey,
Don't panic because of one bad review, if you look on the internet (if you have the time) you'll find many varying reviews of this instrument.
If you can possibly get to play it then do that and if you're happy with the sound then buy it, play it and enjoy it.
Realistically, you can only buy what is for sale in your area unless you want to go the route of importing something, which you clearly don't, and at 25% tax who can blame you..
Remember, lots of guys fixate over the tiniest detail and when you see their reviewed 'good' and 'bad' instruments you may not find any real difference between them.
Alhambras have generally good reviews as far as I can see, just bear in mind the need to humidify a solid wood guitar.
Yamahas also are pretty consistent in their quality and sound so they might also be worth a look.

Best of luck.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.
Guitar-ded

Postby simonm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 pm

YasmineBleeth wrote:I almost made a decision to buy a new 7P spruce top for about 1075$ (and i thought it was a fair price) but when i saw Skai's post which mentions that they are not a good buy even at 740$ i don't know what to think now.

Skai was not referring to the 7p - he was talking about the 7Fc. Everyone in the thread who has a 7p has recommended them. Ramon lists a number of alternatives but I don't remember if your list included Ramirez or not.

Can you play it before you buy it? Or will you have to get it mail order? If you can play it and you like it that is the most important criteria.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Return to Luthiers