V-joint Neck Construction

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Re: V-joint Neck Construction

Postby Michael.N. » Sat May 23, 2009 7:26 am

After registering on that forum I've just seen Waddy's tutorial. That's virtually identical to the method I use, even his method of clamping the head. Some makers will use a jig that ensures that the head piece remains at the correct angle when it comes to the glue-up. I've never found it necessary and just use the same set up as Waddy's.
Historicalguitars.
Michael.N.

Postby David LaPlante » Sun May 24, 2009 4:46 pm

There is an excellent article by Geza Burghardt in the fall 2000 (#63) issue of American Luthierie (GAL) on making the "V" joint.
This article shows how to make the through "V" joint a' la' Romanillos.
The blind "V" as used by Hauser is well illustrated in Richard Brune's plan of the 1937 guitar but I'm not aware of any instructions out there on making it.
The main difference in the final form of these is that the the peghead veneer joining surface stands proud of the fretboard joining surface in the Hauser where in the through joint they intersect at the nut area.

The modified bridle joint was used by Martin and others for 3 piece necks all during the 19th century and is actually a bit more complex than the other two. All are quite elegant though.

V-joint.jpg

Martin&CoupaRestoration-010.jpg

MartinRen1850-006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
David LaPlante
Luthier

Postby Doug Ingram » Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm

OK, so I really appreciate the craftsmanship that it takes to execute a fine V joint.

Still, I see no demerits in a fine scarph joint, either. I like a fine scarph joint.

In all the discussion of the V joint, I think that we should not infer that a scarph joint is a "poor" joint. I'm not saying that this is what is happening, but it could easily go that way.
My living room is littered with a dozen Ingram guitars.
Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Postby Gerald Mercer » Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm

gitaahs wrote: With this joint, I feel like I'm sixteen and having to ask which pedal is the clutch, etc.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, now you know how I feel when I come to you for help. As you already know, it is much appreciated! I like this discussion. You learn something new every time you sign onto this Forum!

Jerry
Never, never quit!
Gerald Mercer
Luthier

Previous

Return to Luthiers