Bruce G Rubin Guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
pavarotti

Bruce G Rubin Guitars

Postby pavarotti » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi there everyone,

This is my first post and I am hoping to get some information from people that are much more knowledgeable than I am. Has anyone heard of Rubinsguitars? They are supposedly handcrafted, all solid wood guitars. Here is a picture of a tag:

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Bruce G Rubin Guitars

Postby Erik Zurcher » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

As a new member, will introduce yourself here?: viewforum.php?f=28
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

pavarotti

Postby pavarotti » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Thank you for the link. Sorry about that, I did not see that before. Now I have posted on that forum.

vic-victor

Postby vic-victor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:12 am

I haven't have a chance to play one of these, but I had an intention to get one a couple of years ago. As far as I know Bruce is not a luthier, but a US based trader. He had some nice looking guitars advertised on e - b a y at a very low price at that time. In his listing he mentioned that the guitars were Asian-made. They looked good and a solid Brazilian rosewood guitar was selling at around $600. I did some negotiations, agreed on price inclusive of postage to Oz, sent the money through, but got it back in 3 days. Bruce refused to send a guitar saying he has been advised that Australian customs may not allow BRW into Australia, plus the postage quote he got was a lot higher than he expected. So I ended up buying Spanish guitar elsewhere.

pavarotti

Postby pavarotti » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm really thinking about picking one of these guitars up. I'm also thinking about picking up a MumboJumbo guitar if anyone's heard of them. I believe that they're in the same type of import business as Rubinsguitars is.

vic-victor

Postby vic-victor » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:53 am

It all comes down to the cost in the end of the day. $500 can buy you a very nice guitar these days if you're lucky and not in a hurry. It is worth paying for a well known brand. A good Yamaha for example. And it will be very easy to sell it should you wish to do so. Resale value of factory made Asian guitars is not great and should you decide to sell it, you may only get half of what you've paid. I'd probably buy one if I try it first and like it. Getting one online is too much of a gamble these days.

alaninatree

Postby alaninatree » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 am

I have bought over 80 guitars online and only been disappointed a couple of times. Actually I bought one of these Rubin Guitars off e - b a y, and it is a really great guitar! To buy online you need to know what you are looking for and ask a lot of questions.

alaninatree

Postby alaninatree » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 am

vic-victor wrote:I haven't have a chance to play one of these, but I had an intention to get one a couple of years ago. As far as I know Bruce is not a luthier, but a US based trader. He had some nice looking guitars advertised on e - b a y at a very low price at that time. In his listing he mentioned that the guitars were Asian-made. They looked good and a solid Brazilian rosewood guitar was selling at around $600. I did some negotiations, agreed on price inclusive of postage to Oz, sent the money through, but got it back in 3 days. Bruce refused to send a guitar saying he has been advised that Australian customs may not allow BRW into Australia, plus the postage quote he got was a lot higher than he expected. So I ended up buying Spanish guitar elsewhere.

Sounds like the $600 you negotiated was too low for him to follow through on. :D Good job!

mandrey85

Postby mandrey85 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:03 am

I have one of his guitars. It's really an amazing instrument. Very good sounding. Worth so much more than what I payed for it. I picked up one classical name brand guitar at pawn shop other day, which was priced five times what I payed for mine and was not impressed at all. If I was to write a review on my guitar I would have to write few negative things about it too, but it is really nothing big. Overall sound you get from it is not what you expect from a cheaper guitar and fit and finish (attention to detail) is little less then I wanted. But then... I am a pretty picky guy.
If time rolled around for me to buy another guitar I would definitely go with Rubin guitar, unless I was shopping for some exceptionally nice instrument. Mine is not asian though. It is made in Romania.
Over all: very satisfied with purchase and highly recommend it.

KeMe

Postby KeMe » Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 am

Welcome to the Delcamp forum, Mandrey85. I would like to invite you to introduce yourself to the other members of the forum in the Introduce Yourself subforum here.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:35 am

It seems that these guitars are the great undiscovered treasures of the guitar world.

The feedback has been almost totally good.

The models are limited: Fleta style, Ramirez style, all solid etc.

I was really tempted to try one out but unfortunately his prices seem to have gone up somewhat. They go for $400 to $600 - previously it was $300 to $400 :)

johnnytwopick

Postby johnnytwopick » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:16 pm

I purchased one of Bruce G Rubins guitars. I was impressed how they looked so took a chance and ordered one. I was happily surprised when I saw the quality of the instrument. Top notch craftsmanship at a reasonable price. Worth every cent. Bruce G Rubin gets two thumbs up from me.

ssamac

Postby ssamac » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 am

Rubin has a buyer's guide. According to Rubin the rib and back of the guitar are meaningless and using laminates makes no difference. Only soundwood is the top. I can agree to an extent but not totally with this. I think he uses laminates but the laminates are "all rosewood" or all whatever wood. So solid in that sense.
He also advises against buying an older instrument. He says that the guitar starts to lose tone, shape etc after 30 years unlike violins, cellos, etc. Not sure I agree with this part. I guess his new guitars at $500 are competing against a good used older guitar like a Yamaha or Yairi or Hirade, etc.
I was interested until I could not nail him down on the size of the guitar although he finally alluded to mostly 650mm. But I could not get a specific answer on the width of the fingerboard at the 0 fret nor the actual wood the $500 guitar is made of.
His $250 guitar is "mixed" so I guess it comes from different shops and with what woods are available.
They are made in China, btw, and the $500 model is made by the master luthier and the $250 guitar is made by apprentices.

This is as much info as I have and I did not feel comfortable taking the plunge for a student of mine given that I could not get specific info.
He does offer a 3 day trial and will pay the freight back. He did not answer (twice) whether or not it came with a case and what kind of case. Minor consideration at the price except I don't like the guitar shipped without a case.

sam

Model_33

Postby Model_33 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:02 am

I've read Bruce's buyer's guide as well. I also disagree that older guitars necessarily lose their tone and or shape. That is largely a matter of how well cared for the instrument was over long periods. I do agree though, that outside the play in period for spruce tops, guitars don't just get better and better sounding with age. Laminates have been a factor in guitar construction for a very long time and correct me if I am mistaken but I believe even Torres used laminates at times for the back and sides. Is a Ramirez 1a with the sides lined with cypress not a laminate? Laminate does not mean cheap plywood. I've never owned a solid Dalbergia Negra -- Brazilian rosewood guitar and I'm not sure that I would want to as it is a finicky wood when it comes to cracking.

I've thought several times about purchasing one of Bruce's guitars and at the very least it would make a great beach guitar-- so to speak and after reading these positive reviews I think it would be a worthwile purchase, but I have this thing about buying anything from China and avoid it whenver possible.

Return to “Luthiers”