Alvarez Yairi CY140 vs. Yamaha GC41C

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Re: Alvarez Yairi CY140 vs. Yamaha GC41C

Postby Nacio de Falla » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Dave1947 wrote:Yes I'm a little late posting this but wanted to add that I purchased a GC-41c form an online dealer for $1360 new.

You got a GC-41 for $1360 new.......?!?!?!!! :shock: Where was this???
That's a SMOKIN' DEAL!!!!! for a new one.

i just did a search and can't find one lower than $1599. USD ??
"I've literally owned and played so many guitars, i've lost count and no longer care to think about them."
:~))
Nacio de Falla

Postby Bill Doyle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 pm

This seems to have become a Yamaha Hug Fest, so I better throw one in for Yairi. If you haven't played them, you will be very surprised (I used to own a CG-41). I have a 72' CY-140 (Kazuo Yairi, top of the line) and also a '68 Y850 (Sadao Yairi, top of the line). They are both instruments that any classical guitarist would be pleased to play to a room of 100 people... very balanced and dark, beautiful trebles with the right strings, not loud but excellent projection.

Before you turn noses up at laminated back and sides, do a lookup here on the luthiers forum. You may be surprised to learn back and sides contribute little to the overall sound, and there are significant advantages to laminates in terms of stability of the instrument. Laminated was good enough for Ramirez, eh? Many of todays top luthiers build with laminated back and sides. As always, it is the quality of the builder and the material that makes the difference (GOOD quality laminates should not be confused with plywood). Yairi makes BEAUTIFUL soundboards (responsible for 90% of the sound), and clearly understood the secrets of the wood. The fact that the B/S are Brazilian is of consequence only in regard to aesthetics... gorgeous, rich, beautful woods.
BD
Building beautiful custom homes in Baja, Mexico...
www.TCCLoreto.com
Bill Doyle

Postby Nacio de Falla » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:18 am

Bill Doyle wrote:This seems to have become a Yamaha Hug Fest, so I better throw one in for Yairi. If you haven't played them, you will be very surprised (I used to own a CG-41). I have a 72' CY-140 (Kazuo Yairi, top of the line) and also a '68 Y850 (Sadao Yairi, top of the line). They are both instruments that any classical guitarist would be pleased to play to a room of 100 people....

LOLLOL!! Hug Fest!!???? :lol: awww man...........LOL!

i have owned an old Kazou Yairi peg-head flamenco. Very nice guitar.<period.) and have played innumerable amounts of other Yairi's owned by good friends. ALL of them fantastic guitars.<period.)

i don't think anyone here is denying the fact Yairi's are Fantastic guitars. There's just many Yamaha aficionado's here.
Your sarcasm, <if that is, what it is?), is absolutely hilarious though! :lol: :applauso:

Yes, They are both very nice guitars. :fume:
"I've literally owned and played so many guitars, i've lost count and no longer care to think about them."
Nacio de Falla

Postby Dave1947 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:46 am

Hi Nacio
Sorry for the late reply! I bought mine from MusiciansBuy.com The list is $1599 but you'll see a link next to the price that says something like "give me the best price" You can get either the spruce or the cedar top without any of the accessories except the case. The $1599 price includes a tuner and a few other things. They have the same kind of deal for the GC-31 $1299 list but I think they knock off a couple of hundred! A place to check out at least! Dave1947
Dave1947

Postby Dave1947 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:50 am

I forgot to add that the "best price" that I mentioned in the previous post is $1360 for the GC-41....check it out! Dave1947
Dave1947

Postby Nacio de Falla » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:14 am

Thanks Dave. Appreciate that! :D

That's still a steal of a deal!
i went there. You can see that the actual retail price is $2599 USD and the normal going price is what i said before $1599. USD

So...........,You got one heck of a deal! :wink: 8)

Very Cool indeed.

Cheers! :merci:
Nacio de Falla

Postby Dave1947 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:28 am

You're right, Nacio the list is 2599 the sale price is 1599 w/acc and there best price is 1360 w/o acc........I almost felt like getting one of each, spruce and cedar which would have been only a little more than the Yamaha's regular list price for one! Dave1947
Dave1947

Postby mikfik » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:43 am

True the Yairi has laminated Brazilian rosewood sides and back of the highest quality but don't confuse this rosewood with "plywood". It is NOT. Yairi uses very beautiful wood for their top of the line instrument.
It's funny that laminated tops are the rage these days as long as they have a special piece of synthetic weirdness (nomex) in the middle but lumber core laminated wood is frowned apon for backs and sides.
Laminated sides are a plus for the stiffness they impart and this is a plus. The back of my CY 140 is very resonant and I can feel each note ringing against my chest if I lean into it. Yes it's laminated but considering this Brazilian is absolutely beautiful, sounds great and hasn't developed a crack I'm very happy.
mikfik

Postby JohnH* » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 pm

aNovitiate,
Actually, the CYM95 is the top of the Yairi classical line-up, and with solid Indian rosewood back and sides and spruce or cedar top, it's probably a better comparison with the Yamaha CG41. The CYM95 and the CY140 use the same Ramirez-style bracing. I've been very happy with my CYM95 cedar. And Mike -- for your inner engineer -- sound spreading, depanding on the application and the model you use, is either spherical or cylindrical. Either one is a volume (n cubed) which is not equal to an area or 1/an area (n squared).
I realize this is an older thread, and hope you've found your guitar. :)
JohnH
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
JohnH*

Postby aNovitiate » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks - for the clarification, John H

For guitar selection, I chose to try to experience the most sound(s) variety for the least money via several entry-level guitars of differing woods, rather than dumping 'all my eggs in one basket' on one expensive guitar. So, I pick up a different one (of 4) for each practice session. Between that an string experiments, I revel in the sound contrasts.

Speaking of cheap solutions, acknowledging that spruce-tops are known for crisp sound albeit with slightly weaker bass, I tried D'Addario composite basses on a Yamaha CG201S spruce-top. The bass is 'thundering' (relatively speaking). Combined with soft/normal tension trebles (J-43's) for maleable vibrato etc., the result is more than pleasing.

`sorry for any confusion, if I mis-typed, regarding sound volume projection. I meant to type that sound volume is proportional to the inverse square of the distance i.e. Volume = 1/distance-squared (not area or volume). The point, I was trying to make, was that for distances much greater than 10 - 20 feet, a mic, amp and speakers (spread around the room - not just one speaker on stage) are far more effective for hearing subtle nuances than an expensive, delicate, thin-top guitar.
Mike
aNovitiate

Postby Bill Doyle » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:39 pm

JohnH,
Not to be argumentative, but the Yairi CY95 was introduced in the 90's (and the CYM95 even more recent)... prior to that, the CY-140 was the top of the K.Yairi line (mine is a 1972, near perfect condition, not even a tiny crack or split or warp... solid B&S for long term stability, that is why they use laminates).
BD
BD
Building beautiful custom homes in Baja, Mexico...
www.TCCLoreto.com
Bill Doyle

Postby John Bower » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Bill Doyle wrote:JohnH,
Not to be argumentative, but the Yairi CY95 was introduced in the 90's (and the CYM95 even more recent)... prior to that, the CY-140 was the top of the K.Yairi line (mine is a 1972, near perfect condition, not even a tiny crack or split or warp... solid B&S for long term stability, that is why they use laminates).
BD

There also exists the yet-higher-end CY200/CYM200. I'm fortunate to have one in my collection. It''s a fine guitar, very bright and 'forward' sound, and quite loud. It has a tonal quality very much like a Gil Carnal lattice-braced guitar I also have in my collection.

If anyone is interested in a CY200, I've been considering letting mine go in order to finance a few more luthier tools/toys.... PM me if interested.
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Postby ChiyoDad » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:47 pm

John Bower wrote:If anyone is interested in a CY200, I've been considering letting mine go in order to finance a few more luthier tools/toys.... PM me if interested.

Squib ... err, John ... you're going to give it up? You've had some good Alvarez Yairis as I recall.
"Take your malodorous metacarpi off me you accursed unhygienic simian!" >:(
ChiyoDad

Postby John Bower » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:21 pm

ChiyoDad wrote:
John Bower wrote:If anyone is interested in a CY200, I've been considering letting mine go in order to finance a few more luthier tools/toys.... PM me if interested.

Squib ... err, John ... you're going to give it up? You've had some good Alvarez Yairis as I recall.

ChiyoDad, I think I might. It will still leave me with two very, very fine Yairis, i.e. my reworked 5037 and my original CY120. Not to mention my Hill (aka The Slut) and the Carnal and the Ramirez.. so, no shortage of very fine guitars. I just played the Hill in a ensemble recital last night, which both Kenny and Gil attended. Kenny didn't take it away from me saying "you are not worthy", so I take that as a win. I live in fear of the day someone of authority and taste says to me "That's it! No more guitar for you! Take up the bagpipes, preferably far away from here".. not that there's anything wrong with bagpipes.

Since I'm beginning building, there are endless tools I'd like to add to my workshop. Kenny and Matt need more things to laugh at me about, after all. So, the sale of this one might finance a few more chuckles..
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Postby Dave1947 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Just wanted to add that both the GC41c and the CY140 are very close to being the same guitar! The wood looks identical....which is to say outstanding!...on both. If I were suspicious I'd think they were both made in the same factory with different labels put on them! I suppose it comes down to price and warranty. I own the GC41c and it's very nice, I'm looking forward to playing the CY140 one of these days.
Dave1947

PreviousNext

Return to Luthiers