Need L.A. Luthier For Repairs

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
JRomeo

Need L.A. Luthier For Repairs

Postby JRomeo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 am

Hi:

I have a vintage CG that needs a bit of work. Can anyone recommend a luthier that does excellent repair and maintenance in the Los Angeles area? Thanks.

GuitarVlog

Re: Need L.A. Luthier For Repairs

Postby GuitarVlog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

JRomeo wrote:I have a vintage CG that needs a bit of work.

If it's valuable and requires restorative work, I think Yuris Zeltins down in San Diego (The Blue Guitar") would be a good choice. Yes, it's a long drive.

The Romeros apparently take their instruments to him for repair (not to Pepe Jr).
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi

segoviajr07

Postby segoviajr07 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Ask the guys at Trilogy Guitars who they use. I know they bring really valuable guitars and/or complex repairs to Yuris who has to be the ultimate repair guy on the West coast. However, they may know someone in the local LA area who can handle yours.

JQ.

Postby JQ. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm

German Vasquez Rubio is in L.A.

guitarsbygvr.com

6000miles

Postby 6000miles » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:41 pm

german vazquez rubio does excellent work, had him refinish a guitar and am very happy with the result.
1964 edgar mönch
1998 sebastian stenzel
2007 daryl perry
2013 hermann hauser

segoviajr07

Postby segoviajr07 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:29 pm

6000miles wrote:german vazquez rubio does excellent work, had him refinish a guitar and am very happy with the result.

Another vote for GVR, he refinished my old Humphrey and it looked like new, great work...didn't realize he was in LA area, I am an East coast guy.

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:10 pm

segoviajr07 wrote:
6000miles wrote: I am an East coast guy.

That's okay, we forgive you. Some things can't be helped.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

riffmeister

Postby riffmeister » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Possibly Steve Brandt.

The state of California is just littered with luthiers! :P

GuitarVlog

Postby GuitarVlog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 pm

riffmeister wrote:The state of California is just littered with luthiers! :P

I know that you're being facetious with your alliteration, but couldn't you choose a more flattering word than "littered"? :lol:

One thing I was told by two luthiers however is that not all of them have the requisite skills to undertake vintage restorations. It's an extended skillset.
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi

jfdana

Postby jfdana » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:17 am

German Vazquez Rubio is remarkable in being both a great maker, but one who also is a great restorer.

His FP is beautiful and durable, and he will repair whatever needs to be repaired.

Really, a master.

I speak from experience.

JD

Pepe Vergara

Postby Pepe Vergara » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:14 pm

German is probably the best luthier alive today!

Allan

Postby Allan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:04 am

It's not as easy getting work done on a guitar here as one might think, even given the high density of pro classical guitarists per square mile. As often as not I've had to ship my guitars out of state to get them tweaked. However, Mike Peters is a talented luthier who has a shop in El Segundo, and he has done some great work for me (he French polished a new Antonio Marin for me just a month after I bought it when the original polish started smearing like molten wax). I know he has also done work on high-end vintage instruments in private collections in LA. He's a sharp guy who knows what he's doing, and I was once told by the owners of Trilogy that they also use him for repair work. You can find him through his website: petersguitars dot com.

German Rubio would be an excellent choice if it were a vintage or expensive instrument. Rubio is second to none in luthiery.

Don't even try McCabe's. It's a great store, but their guitar repair department seems chronically overwhelmed. I've been turned down there for the simplest guitar tweaks for the last 15 years, even for cheap guitars that I purchased there LOL! They'll probably refer you to another repairman in Culver City, some guy named Larry, and his outgoing message for the last decade has been 'Hi, this is Larry and I'm not taking any more guitar repairs right now'.

I just had a re-fret job done on my Hippner Torres and ended up having to send it to St. Louis to get it done.

Good luck!

JRomeo

Postby JRomeo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Thanks everyone. I took it to GVR, and he turned it around in 24hrs. Damn fine work.

CG-phile

Postby CG-phile » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 am

JRomeo wrote:Thanks everyone. I took it to GVR, and he turned it around in 24hrs. Damn fine work.

Beware, that's how it starts. You drop off your guitar at GVR's workshop for repairs, you're impressed with his work, then... you develop a serious case of GAS*! :lol:

*Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"

JQ.

Postby JQ. » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm

JRomeo wrote:Thanks everyone. I took it to GVR, and he turned it around in 24hrs. Damn fine work.

24 hours? That's amazing. Considering his reputation, I figured he'd having a waiting list even for repairs. 8)

Return to “Luthiers”