Hanika Guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Re: Hanika Guitars

Postby rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:57 pm

I do not know very well Höfner guitars; but when I bought my Hanika 58PC I was in a very well assorted shop in Freiburg, Germany, and they had all the Hanikas from bottom to top line, and also all the Höfner from bottom to top line, and after sitting there for hours and trying many guitars I went home with the Hanika 58PC having three days for evaluation and making my decision.

This guitar stayed at my home. She was so much better than any Höfner I played that day that I didn't consider even for a second to by a Höfner in the same price tag or even higher.

I also went with this guitar to luthier friend and heard him saying that this guitar has amazing good sound for its price. He said Hanika keeps the highest quality standards as far as small manufacture guitars go in Germany.

The longer I have this guitar the more I appreciate it's quality. Nowadays I use it only for scordatura playing (as deep as C below the standard E bass). It handles the deep tuning better than any guitar I else have.
Certainly it isn't as refined in tone and playability as my Stenzel or Baarslag, but hey, its 1/4 of the price.

But yes, certainly I'd try to compare them all before I'd commit myself to buying one of them.

Best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Postby Donald77 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm

thanks for the reply!
Donald77

Postby peluche » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:03 pm

I completely concur with rojarosguitar.

I have just bought a Hanika guitar and I'm quite impressed.

My original plan was to spend about € 580 at most, so I tested some models in the price range, among them a Höfner HM 65 (I think), all of which left me rather unimpressed. In one of the shops I visited they recommended Hanika to me, and I tested one even though I considered it above my current, very limited budget. It blew me away, even though I played it only for 3 minutes, and even though it was almost from the very bottom of Hanika's line. For just another € 100 on top of my original budget, volume, clarity, and balance were waaay above all the others I had tested, that much was clear from the first moment.

So after some more testing, I purchased an 50MF, and I still can't believe how good it sounds for the price. From what I have seen so far, workmanship is more than decent, and I rather like the simple design of tuners and rosette. Maybe it lacks a bit of subtlety wrt sound/timbre, but my hope is that the spruce top will open up over the years.

I also tested the 50MC (cedar top), which sounded a bit more refined maybe, but I didn't like the irregularities in the grain of the top.

Today I contacted Hanika via email for a small issue I had with the label in the guitar, and I got a very detailed, very friendly and personal reply from master Armin Hanika himself, within a few hours. That must have been the best customer service I have received in at least a decade -- and I have only bought one of the cheapest models the have on offer.

So to sum it up, maybe the higher priced instruments from Hanika can't really compete with all the others out there -- but the cheaper ones, they definitely can, IMHO.

Cheers,

-- peluche
Pour soulever un poids si lourd,
Sisyphe, il faudrait ton courage!
Bien q'on ait du cœur à l'ouvrage,
L'Art est long et le Temps est court.

Ch. Baudelaire
peluche

Postby rojarosguitar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:44 am

I agree, I had exchanged e-mails with Hanika few times and got answers almost faster than light - impeccable service.

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Postby Alexia Rivera » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 am

hello !
im new but i thought to also comment as I just upgraded my guitar to a Hanika 56 Spruce top..

Im not expert but I had a Valderas guitar model 3 (around 500 euros) and was buzzing lots and it was driving me a bit mad..
I was not happy with my playing but since I am a beginner, i thought it was a matter of time and practice..
well , i decided to try some other guitars at a local store for the first time, I spent about one hour there and went for a Hanika 56 Pf..
To me the fact that many of the problems I had with my former guitar went away when I played the Hanika , meaning how easy and smooth it was to play and the sound was so beautiful made me buy this guitar.

The sound is slightly mellow and sweet but i was told that Spruce needs some time to settle in ,anyways im happy with the way it sounds now already..sweet and very even.
I tried several guitars between 1000 and 2000 euros and the Hanika was like a glove for my hands..
I cant believe i spent more than a year with the Valderas .. :shock:
I also like the design , very pure and minimalistic and the tuners are wonderful..
Alexia Rivera

Postby stefan73 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Alexia Rivera wrote:hello !
im new but i thought to also comment as I just upgraded my guitar to a Hanika 56 Spruce top..

Hello Alexia and welcome in the "Happy Hanika Owners Club" :)
(De) (En) (Fr) Hanika 58 PF, Savarez Corum Alliance 500 ARJ
stefan73

Postby Donald77 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:25 pm

haha :)
Donald77

Postby alexphyd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm

I kind of overlooked this thread somehow…

I have played several Hanika guitars (even in the very top range) and currently own a 60 pc cedar top.

I would like to say that unless you go directly to a luthier and bargain the price for your guitar, the Hanikas are definitely a good alternative to other manufacturers, by which I mean factories + luthiers who outsource the construction of their guitars to somebody else (a VERY common practice actually:( ).

Of course one should always first consider one's level as a musician, the money side and the quality one expects from the guitar.

Money wise, the 60 pc for instance is not too cheap (but much cheaper than the Hanika 1 series), but it will probably not suffer from wolf tones, imperfections, sound ok over the whole fretboard, and actually sound quite nice overall. The spruce version is also nice, but less projecting…(and cheaper).

When I compared it to Ramirez/Bernabe/... equivalents (in price) the Hanika was a clear winner…

I have noticed that it can be challenging to play depending on the piece. Also, it is very responsive, and so squeaking or any other (unwanted) sound gets projected a lot.

So to recap: they rarely suffer form structural imperfections, the quality of the wood etc is good, the overall sound is nice (it gets A LOT better going above the 50 series).
As for the customer support, I didn't get a reply when I tried to become a member of the Hanika club, but I will try again (maybe I did something wrong).
However, in the web site they provide exhaustive information about their guitars, their quality, who and how makes them etc, and they even have a price list (this is already MORE than the vast majority of manufacturers, and again some luthier guitars are actually made by somebody else in an industrial fashion in fact).

Cheers,

Ale
alexphyd

Postby haunting_nylon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:02 pm

I own a hanika 56 pf spruce top classical guitar. It's fantastic. :) My teacher says that it's a semi-concert guitar. I think it's tough to find something better at this price ( around 1300 Euros )
haunting_nylon

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:00 pm

My Hanika 58 PC ist stille to be had (within Europe shipping fee might be realistic).
I'm not selling it because of any fault with it - I'm just having too many guitar and it's a pitty to have a guitar not bring played. It's a very nice, well made and well sounding guitar and I used it fpr very deep scordatura with which it coped well - better than all other guitars I have - but I'm not pursuing the Bach Cello Suites project anymore ... so I think at least at the moment ...

best wishes
Robert
rojarosguitar

Postby DLC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 am

I have played several Hanika guitars from his bottom series to the top level and now owned two of his guitar--60 pf and 39 zf. The 60 pf is a typical model of his concert guitar which has clear tremble and deep base, very good projection. Compared with world top classical guitar, it is not so sensitive. Additionally, the neck is a litter thick to me and impact the playability. I have some deep discussion with Amin and he made the second one for me. This is a guitar with small body which is also suitable for children, of course also good to adult who like Torres model style. It reflects so quickly and also very clear like clean creek. Her rejection is clean and directive, meanwhile, easy playability. Though there is a little gap between Hanika guitar and top luthier's guitar which is over 6000 euro, it is quite good value for its price.
2006 Armin Hanika 60
2008 Frederich Holtier
DLC

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 am

This is a video of the Hanika basic model 50 cedar rosewood I think . I have posted it on other subjects allready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pby50gNR ... re=related
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby chelson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:My Hanika 58 PC ist stille to be had (within Europe shipping fee might be realistic).
I'm not selling it because of any fault with it - I'm just having too many guitar and it's a pitty to have a guitar not bring played. It's a very nice, well made and well sounding guitar and I used it fpr very deep scordatura with which it coped well - better than all other guitars I have - but I'm not pursuing the Bach Cello Suites project anymore ... so I think at least at the moment ...

best wishes
Robert

Hahaha, no fate, unless we stay nearer to each other.

Cheers!
chelson
chelson

Postby try » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Very good guitar!
try

Postby ziggypete » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:01 pm

I bought a Hanika 54 PF and I love this guitar. Does have bear claw on the face. Great sounding classic guitar. I ordered from a shop in England. Good looking guitar. You can custom make the guitar on Hanika site. Since a play a Cordaba, ceder guitar I choose the spruce for my Hanika.
ziggypete

PreviousNext

Return to Luthiers