Alan H. Chapman Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Alan H. Chapman Guitar

Postby lagartija » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 pm

I posted some pictures of my new Chapman guitar here in the Public space in case anyone is interested....
There was a thread here in the Luthier's section about photographing guitars.... I should read it again. :lol: I found it hard to photograph such a glossy, shiny object.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!
lagartija

Re: Alan H. Chapman Guitar

Postby lagartija » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:17 pm

I've made a short video and I am playing the guitar in the background so you can hear what it sounds like. Go to my youtube channel, astroiguana and it is the only video I've ever uploaded. Shouldn't be hard to find.
__/^^^^^o>
lagartija

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm

lagartija wrote: I found it hard to photograph such a glossy, shiny object.

I was just asked by my friend Sebastian Stenzel to photograph one of his new guitars, and I found it also very difficult, especially the BR back. I was trying different tricks, but without having a professional light system with as much as possible diffuse light it's really hard. I always got some reflections; and also the automatic focussing went berserk because it couldn' understand what is what between the guitar and the reflections ... But it was fun. Finally we got some usable pics.

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Postby Alan Stancliff » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:53 pm

lagartija wrote:I've made a short video and I am playing the guitar in the background so you can hear what it sounds like. Go to my youtube channel, astroiguana and it is the only video I've ever uploaded. Shouldn't be hard to find.

She's a real beauty, Doña Lagartija. You played the "simple" Brouwer (which isn't that easy) beautifully.

Regards y saludos

Alan Stancliff
Languages: Standard American English and Spanish
Alan Stancliff

Postby lagartija » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Thank you, Alan, that is very kind. :) The guitar has a very nice, warm sound, but it is hard for me (a beginner) to produce a sound sample that shows that nicely.
__/^^^^^o>
lagartija

Postby Alan Stancliff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 am

lagartija wrote:Thank you, Alan, that is very kind. :) The guitar has a very nice, warm sound, but it is hard for me (a beginner) to produce a sound sample that shows that nicely.

I realized from some of your other posts that you started playing relatively recently. However, I think you must be getting very good guidance. Your performance of the piece avoided some of the common earmarks of beginners, especially in the phrasing, and it was a pleasure to listen to it. Those pieces are called "simple" in the title, but the piece you played is not real easy to play, especially for a beginner.

I think the term "simple" probably applies much more to Brouwer's aesthetic approach in putting together music with elegance than it is an indication of the level of expertise required to perform it. That's speculation on my part, as I don't know that for a fact. But it is the impression I get in his etudes.

In my opinion, that piece is definitely an intermediate-level in difficulty of execution. Fingering the chords so as you don't muffle the strings requires some effort to master, and transitioning between the chords can be challenging.

Too many people play that piece too fast in my estimation. It is better to play it at the tempo you use, in my opinion. To my ear, it seems more beautiful that way than when rushed through. It's kind of a tranquil, meditative piece.

The recording equipment that you used probably does not do the instrument justice, but I could hear it well enough to understand that it is a very nice instrument indeed. No doubt, your tone will improve, but I think that you have reason to have pride in what you can do right now.

As I said, it's obvious you've been getting some decent coaching.

Regards y saludos

Alan Stancliff
Alan Stancliff

Postby lagartija » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Alan Stancliff wrote:The recording equipment that you used probably does not do the instrument justice, but I could hear it well enough to understand that it is a very nice instrument indeed. No doubt, your tone will improve, but I think that you have reason to have pride in what you can do right now.

As I said, it's obvious you've been getting some decent coaching.

Actually, it is interesting that you brought up tone.... that is what I am finding a bit of a challenge in this "new" playing position. I haven't gotten the guitar propped in exactly the position I want, yet. While I was playing Brouwer VI in this recording, just as I got to one shift, the guitar slipped a bit on the towel, but I kept going anyway. I do have a better recording of VI, but it is not on this guitar, and it was performed in my "pre-injury" playing position. I'm sure I'll adjust to this new position with a bit more practice and regain control over my tone.
Maybe a better example of my tone would be this recording of Españoleta. It was done pre-injury and on my faithful plywood Giannini. :D

Actually, I give full credit for my progress and my tone to my teacher. He has been unstinting of his time and effort in bringing me along the path. He has kept me from getting distracted by pieces that were far above my technical capabilities, but has always given me as much challenge as I was willing to take on.
__/^^^^^o>
lagartija

Postby Alan Stancliff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi Lagartija,

I can sympathize about the injury. I had to have a joint replaced in my right hand because of severe arthritis about 6 months ago. I also have some arthritis in the left-hand thumb, but not bad enough to require surgery. When I started rehab, the therapist suggested playing my guitar, which I had not had much time to do for about 20 years.

Additionally, my wife became disabled, and I pretty much have to take care of her, plus try to run my small business. But it seems that slowly, I am regaining my guitar playing abilities. At one point, I was fairly decent and had some really excellent training in the United States and Mexico. I also taught guitar for many years back in the 1960s and 1970s, and I still have my lovely guitar, an old hand-made Tamura I got back in the 1960s. It has great tone, and I am practicing five or six times a week for several hours at a time.

I'm glad I found this board. It has been a source of encouragement and information for me.

Regards y saludos

Alan Stancliff
Alan Stancliff

Return to Luthiers