Neck Angle Validation.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Neck Angle Validation.

Postby christopher beebe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:47 am

Hello, I have drawn a new set of plans for my current build and I just want some of your opinions/recomendations before continuing. My solera is dished to a radius of approximatly 15' between the tail edge of the sound hole and the tail end of the guitar (not a true 15' radius, more like a tear drop shape), this gives me 3mm at the saddle. My plan will give me 10mm string height right in front of the bridge, 3.5mm top E and 2.5mm bottom E at the 12th fret, 3mm top E and 2mm bottom E at the 1st fret. Given these specs and a 1/4" thick fret board my neck angle is 0 degrees. On my last classical I used a negative neck angle of 1degree which ended up being positive 3mm at the nut. Does anyone see any flaws in my current dimentions? Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher
christopher beebe

Re: Neck Angle Validation.

Postby Jeff Highland » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 am

well for starters
- you appear to be using top and bottom e string opposite to common usage
-your figures for 1st fret clearance are excessive, for the purpose of this calculation I just assume that the strings leave the nut at fret height.
if your rims are flat and your dome is 3mm high at the bridge and neck angle is zero i calculate string height at the bridge as below.
-3mm for dome
+6.5mm for fretboard
+1mm for frets
+6mm for 2x average string height at 12th
-1mm for neck relief

so that would give you 9.5mm above the soundboard
Guitar building and repair at Caves Beach, Australia
Jeff Highland

Return to Luthiers