Castilla guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Castilla guitar

Postby Ramon Amira » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08 am

A student of mine is looking at a "Castilla" guitar, and asked me about it. I never heard the name. Does anyone know anything about Castilla guitars?

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Castilla guitar

Postby NylonBlue » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:58 am

Ramon,

Castilla seems to have been a popular inexpensive classical guitar in the 80's. I bought one for my 7 year old 15 years ago when she wanted to start playing... The one I bought her is still around, though it has taken some work to keep it playable. The model is a CN-40 made in China. It cost me around $80 back then as I recall. The neck has torqued over the years and I've done some filing to keep it playable, but overall it wasn't a bad investment for the money. It was our "camping" guitar after she graduated to her Taylor. I've seen people posting about Castilla's that were made in Korea also... these seem to be full size classicals as opposed to the student size we have. I saw online some mention of a Japanese made electric Castilla also but I think the fella may just have his spelling wrong as it's the only mention of it. I can post pics for you if it helps you....
NylonBlue

Postby OldPotter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Hello Ramon
I have seen some "Castillo" guitars at the kentguitarclassics website, otherwise no.

Regards Tim
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain
OldPotter

Postby bobtone » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:32 am

I remember those. We used to stock them by the dozens when I worked at a music store. The thing to look out for is that each one is slightly different- some are more playable than others. They are put together cheaply and fast. So in a shipment of a few dozen, each one was slightly different in playability.

But what do you expect for the price? Play a few of them and pick one.
bobtone

Return to Luthiers