What is the standard distance between a string and a fret...

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
nader

What is the standard distance between a string and a fret...

Postby nader » Sat May 06, 2006 8:17 pm

What is the standard distance between a string and a fretboard
" Don't measure the distance you are going to cross."

Pepe Vergara

Postby Pepe Vergara » Sun May 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Let's give a try, since nobody seems to want to respond. The distance between strings and the fretboard varies. The key to a proper set up is that the distance between string and top of the frets is variable to provide for the vibration of the strings. In general, the height of the string at the nut, must be just a little bit over the top of the first fret (maybe one third of a mm or so). The distance between a string and the top of the fret at the 12th fret must be between 3 mm and 4.5 mm for a comfortable playing (classical). It can be from 2.2 mm to 2.8 mm in some flamenco guitars, where some buzzing does not matter. Now, the thickness of the bound strings (E, A, D, and even G) is large compared to the nylons strings, so when they vibrate, they will demand a higher action to avoid buzzing, so some luthiers sand the fretboard at the bound strings a little bit more than at the nylon strings. Others do not do that, instead they provide a slanted saddle. If that is the case, one mm difference between the ends of the saddle should be fine. Does this address you queston?

nader

Postby nader » Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 am

yes this address that I want to know tahnk you and moe if you can

pepe you said

The distance between a string and the top of the fret at the 12th fret must be between 3 mm and 4.5 mm for a comfortable playing (classical). It can be from 2.2 mm to 2.8 mm in some flamenco guitars

dose this at standard tuning( when stringd are tight) ????

Pepe Vergara

Postby Pepe Vergara » Mon May 08, 2006 3:20 pm

Yes. These dimensions are when the strings open tuned.

nader

Postby nader » Tue May 09, 2006 4:19 pm

Oky I'm so sorry ,but do you mean the distance between the
strings and the fret : the piece metal or the wood

and thank you again

Pepe Vergara

Postby Pepe Vergara » Tue May 09, 2006 4:46 pm

pepe wrote: ... The key to a proper set up is that the distance between string and top of the frets is variable to provide for the vibration of the strings. ...

Nicolo

Postby Nicolo » Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 pm

When measuring the distance from the string to the 12th fret, is this with the string open or while holding down the string on the 1st fret? I heard some people say fretted and some say open.

paulleong

Postby paulleong » Sat May 13, 2006 10:52 pm

I hve been asking this question many time inside me. but i have found a better solution i guess.
The height of string from fret depend on your guitar built , tention of string and yourself. If you find it comfortable is all it matter.
You do not know if it is comfortable ? then i guess you can try making a very low saddle ( as low as the strings just vibrate and touches some fret) and play it for a while and compare the feeling of the playing with your original saddle. then make another new saddle of slightly higher of your choice. The best tool for measure is to use micro screw gauge or a good F-caliper.

Jacob

Postby Jacob » Tue May 16, 2006 4:55 pm

I just finished sanding and shaping my first try at a tusq saddle and it made my guitar sound soo much more. Sustain sounds of a string was clocked at about 25-28 seconds, compaired to that of a plastic one which was 15 seconds. Anyways, this was the first time I'ved ever replaced a saddle and it took me about a week to perfect the compensation agles on it.

I lowered the action also, I sanded the bottom of the saddle about 1 1/2 mm. When I installed it, there was exactly 1mm space between the 6th. (E) string and the top of the fret ( this is at the 12th fret ) & about .75mm space between the 1st. (E) string and the top of the fret ( this is also at the 12th fret ). I like very low action, so from my point of view I like about 1mm space on the 6th. string and .75mm space at the 1st string (both measured at the 12th. fret).
I experience no buzzing at all on the strings; I also used a set heavier gauge string to compensate for such low settings.

ysorpheus

Postby ysorpheus » Tue May 16, 2006 5:53 pm

It sounds unrealistic to have 1mm and 0.75mm action on 12th fret without buzzing.
I think 3.0mm (6th) and 2.5mm (1st) are as low as you can go without buzzing on most guitars.

Jacob

Postby Jacob » Tue May 16, 2006 9:48 pm

Well, it surely works for me. Then again, I'm talking about my washburn steel string. I don't really know if there is a difference with nylon guitars and their softer strings; maybe there is ey? I'm still looking for one, for now all I have is steel. Sorry for the confusion, if any.

But then again. I think I miss read my ruler!!!! :D It's actually about 3.5 to 3 mm. :lol: I suck at measuring.... I think I was looking at centimeters. DOINK!! :strizzalocchio:

Pepe Vergara

Postby Pepe Vergara » Tue May 16, 2006 10:28 pm

The action at the 12th fret is measured without pressing any frets, in the open position.

Luthiers do some testing by pressing the third fret, the first, etc, for other purposes, e.g., to determine if the height of the nut is adequate, if there is enough slope of the fretboard towards teh body, to determine offending high frets, etc. etc.

Jubiduuu'

Postby Jubiduuu' » Sun May 28, 2006 1:53 pm

pepe wrote:........The distance between a string and the top of the fret at the 12th fret must be between 3 mm and 4.5 mm for a comfortable playing (classical).
It can be from 2.2 mm to 2.8 mm in some flamenco guitars, where some buzzing does not matter......
:shock: ........... :?: ......... :?: ............. :!: ............. :arrow: ppssssstt!! & even "lower" on "others", eh maestro?! :wink:

......"Low"="blur" 8)

Return to “Luthiers”