Tabo Derecho Guitar plays like a dream

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Tabo Derecho Guitar plays like a dream

Postby jungjaesung » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 am

I was doing research on Philippine Luthiers and found that Tabo Derecho is the best here in Manila. I visited his home/workshop and he let me try his guitars, (3 available at that time). I was blown away. The guitar sounded gorgeously! It projects really well with really loud volume but it still has it's Spanish sound. It was like the guitar was singing. I ended up staying there for 2 hours just playing his cedar top guitar with Indian rosewood for back and sides. It was amazing. I've tried a 1981 Jose Ramirez 1a and this guitar is far better in my opinion. He told me he used to make guitars with Brazilian Rosewood for back and sides but stopped because people here in the Philippines who would invest in a $3000 dollar guitar is scarce. Imagine what amazing instrument that would have been! Sir Tabo Derecho was nice man, very passionate about the classical guitar. He makes guitars not for profit but because he loves the instrument. I definitely recommend getting one from him if you guys happen to visit the Philippines. He also had one guitar he built with bone frets but he did not offer it sale. So far, his guitar is the best I've played (considering i've only tried out a handful of guitars, Ramirez 1a, Asturias S-3, Loriente Clarita, Ramirez Serie Del Vino, Bernabe Concert, etc.)

I would like to promote his guitars worldwide because I believe that his guitars deserve to be played by the finest classical guitarists. If any of you are interested, please send me a private message and I shall arrange things with Sir Tabo.
jungjaesung

Re: Tabo Derecho Guitar plays like a dream

Postby el baroda » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 am

I met Tabo Derecho for the first time in 2007 and ordered a Cedar/Indian Rosewood model the following year. You are right about his guitars. "Excellent" would be an understatement. I met him again in 2009 and tried his raised fretboard and spruce models, but I was not in the position to buy another guitar at the time. I'm visiting Manila next week and, hopefully, I can meet up with him again. Regards from Down Under.
El Baroda, Sydney
I shall pass this way but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to another person, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Anon.
el baroda

Return to Luthiers