Norway Spruce

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Norway Spruce

Postby Rahoul Waghmare » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am

Hello friends
have any of u heard or used about norway spruce?
how does it sounds for classical guitar?
im planning to buy its logs
so need some advice on that
Rahoul Waghmare
Amateur luthier

Re: Norway Spruce

Postby Doug Ingram » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Check with Arnt Rian, he's in Trondheim. He knows and uses local wood quite a bit. Nice guy, excellent work.

http://rianguitars.com/
My living room is littered with a dozen Ingram guitars.
Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Postby Rod » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:32 pm

I believe Norway Spruce is just another name for picea abies, the same as European alpine spruce.
Rod
Rod
Amateur luthier

Postby Frank Nordberg » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 am

Sorry for reopening an old thread but norway spruce is the common English name for picea abies, that is the spruce common over most of Europe. The alpine spruce (picea alpestris) and the siberian spruce (picea obovata) are sometimes regarded as a separate species but it seems more and more biologists agree they should be classified just as variants of norway spruce. The three interbreed quite easily and as tonewoods I believe they are regarded as hundred percent interchangable.

Red spruce or adirondack (picea rubens) is native to much of the USA and closely related to norway spruce. It seems most guitar makers regard it as equal to European spruce while violin makers tend to not like it. My personal experience is that a red spruce top tend to produce a brighter tone than one made from norway spruce. Not better or worse, just different.

Sitka spruce (picea sitchensis) is a distant relative to red spruce, native to Canada and Alaska, that has been commonly used for tonewood the last few decades. The tonal characteristics are very different from the spruce variants traditionally used as tonewood.
If you haven't got an ego that is bigger than the world, forget it and let the music speak! (Pepe Romero)
Frank Nordberg

Return to Luthiers