which shellac to use on light spruce

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
shevitz

which shellac to use on light spruce

Postby shevitz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Howdy,

I am about to begin french polishing my first spruce top and it is very white and I would like it to stay that way. All my other guitars have been cedar and darker tonewoods on the back so color wasn't really and issue. I have two different shellacs at my house: LMI very blonde and Stew-Mac Colortone platina. Both are very light and to my eye nearly identical for identical sized flakes. Does anyone know which actually turns out lighter or opinions on which they would use. For all I know they are actually the same flakes rebranded :D.

Danny

Robert Webster
Luthier

Re: which shellac to use on light spruce

Postby Robert Webster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

The lightest shellac I've ever seen is Behlen Superblonde and if you want a "pale face", that's the stuff to use. Bear in mind that over time spent in daylight and our oxygen rich atmosphere, the color of even the very lightest guitar tops will progress to an amber eventually.

Bob

Trevor Gore

Postby Trevor Gore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm

If you really want "white" you'll need to go the nitro route, but as Bob says, the wood goes amber anyway, so white tends not to last very long. Keeping it in a case helps.

shevitz

Postby shevitz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks for the responses. To wrap this up, I called up shellac.net and they told me some interesting facts. First, they are the suppliers to Stew Mac and claim their platina shellac is the clearest in the industry. Second, Behlen no longer sells shellac. Since the Stew-Mac platina is what I have on hand, I'm just going to go with that. I can live with the darkening over time. It adds character.

Danny

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

shevitz wrote:... Second, Behlen no longer sells shellac. ...

Curious. Their UK online store still have three different kinds of shellac for sale.

williso

Postby williso » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 am

I've used both the LMI and the StewMac - couldn't tell any difference. I'm sure you already know this, but as a remider be sure to seal all the non-spruce materials on the top before you begin to avoid any "bleed" of color.

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Williso.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

shevitz

Postby shevitz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 am

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to a simple spit coat of shellac (which I always do), or something else. I am still having trouble sealing and filling the gaps in the top binding without the color bleeding into the spruce.

Danny

Return to “Luthiers”