Planetary Pegs For Lacote Style Guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Planetary Pegs For Lacote Style Guitars

Postby Chuck Marfione » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I have been working on a a number of Lacote style guitars and have reached a point where I need to start thinking about tuning pegs for them. I've decided to opt out of the notion of installing traditional pegs and will go with planetary pegs. My dilemma is which size to use. Violin pegs would most likely be the correct choice, but there are several different sizes. Can anyone suggest the most appropriate size?

Thanks,
Chuck Marfione
Marfione Guitars
Chuck Marfione
Luthier

Re: Planetary Pegs For Lacote Style Guitars

Postby Marcus Dominelli » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 pm

I used the medium sized pegs on the Lacote copy I made. They were probably the viola sized pegheds, but I cannot remember off hand.
Maybe Scot Tremblay will chime in; he's most likely used the planetary pegheds before.
Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 pm

I've used the 9mm "Viola" a couple times. That seems to be the closest in size to the originals on the instruments I was replicating. The violin were too small for my liking but they would work fine I'm sure.

For period instruments I'm not particularly fond of them as I think a properly fit tradition peg is actually better for a number of reasons but I fully understand why both luthiers and players would want to use them.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

“If you can kiss a girl and play a guitar at the same time, you’re not giving the kiss the attention it deserves” Albert Einstein (slightly altered for relevancy)
Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby DennisK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:For period instruments I'm not particularly fond of them as I think a properly fit tradition peg is actually better for a number of reasons but I fully understand why both luthiers and players would want to use them.

Agree. Friction pegs work very well on classical guitars... much better than they do on violins/cellos, IME. But I can understand wanting a little finer control too, in which case planetary gear pegs should be perfect. I rather dislike standard machines with rollers. Pain to get the strings into the slots, and the gear ratios are too high... takes forever to wind up a new string.

I have some of the 9mm pegheds which I'll be using on a harp guitar. They're pretty large, but still fairly light weight. They have a tighter mechanism than the smaller types, so I'd probably go with them on classical guitars as well.

I used some of the Knilling violin pegs (not sure if they're identical to 7mm pegheds or not) on a steel string harp ukulele. They work well, but do have a slightly loose feel to them. Not sure if it would be very noticeable on nylon strings though. Steels on 4:1 feel about like nylon on 1:1... or maybe even more sensitive. But even so, I can tune easily and accurately with them, so you should be fine with any size. 9mm might just feel a little better.
DennisK

Postby Chuck Marfione » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks to all for the input. I too would much prefer the traditional friction pegs but I find myself swamped with so many in-house projects that gearing up to make pegs is probably more than I want to take on. I'm going to go with the 9mm Viola pegs and see how they work.

Cheers,
Chuck Marfione
Marfione Guitars
Chuck Marfione
Luthier

Postby craigleaclocks » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Hello,
I have made several “Baroque Style” guitars and always used full size 4/4 violin pegs.
I think the size looks just about right.
Someone on a well known action site sells rosewood violin pegs which are cheap, look and “sound” (yes I think it does make a difference) great! :D
Why not give them a try.
Regards,
Ronnie.
craigleaclocks

Postby mikfik » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Mine has the 9mm viola pegs. These would be my choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
mikfik

Postby John Underhill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Chuck, take a look at pegheds.net and see if you like the 'Period' style pegs type 945C.
John Underhill

Postby Chuck Marfione » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Mine has the 9mm viola pegs. These would be my choice.

Thanks for positing the shot. They look proportional. I have ordered a set of 9mm heads to try.

Cheers,
Chuck
Marfione Guitars
Chuck Marfione
Luthier

Postby Chuck Marfione » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm

I have made several “Baroque Style” guitars and always used full size 4/4 violin pegs.
I think the size looks just about right.
Someone on a well known action site sells rosewood violin pegs which are cheap, look and “sound” (yes I think it does make a difference) great!
Why not give them a try.

Hi Ronnie,

I've ordered a couple of different size ebony violin/viola pegs to see how they might look, just in case someone insists on a traditional friction peg. At least I'll be prepared instead of having to run around at the last minute researching what works and what doesn't work.

Cheers,
Chuck
Marfione Guitars
Chuck Marfione
Luthier

Postby Chuck Marfione » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Chuck, take a look at pegheds.net and see if you like the 'Period' style pegs type 945C.

John, thanks for the lead. I searched for Pegheads.net and it doesn't exist. I did find Pegheads.com which is the site of the patent holder for the design of these type of pegs. Could find any reference to the 945 C but there's a lot of info on the pegs. Apparently, there is more than one product I have seen another brand (Knilling) as well.

Cheers,
Chuck
Chuck Marfione
Luthier

Postby John Underhill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Chuck: Leave the 'a' out, it's pegheds.net http://www.pegheds.net/for-guitar.html

John
John Underhill

Postby Dyingsea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm a fan of planetary pegs after fighting a couple guitars with friction pegs in the past. The gear ratio is about perfect for me and changing strings is a snap. Never had an issue with them.
Dyingsea

Postby DennisK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Chuck Marfione wrote:Thanks to all for the input. I too would much prefer the traditional friction pegs but I find myself swamped with so many in-house projects that gearing up to make pegs is probably more than I want to take on. I'm going to go with the 9mm Viola pegs and see how they work.

Cheers,
Chuck Marfione
Marfione Guitars

LMI sells properly tapered violin pegs, which are perfect size for guitars as well. Just drill a hole for the string to go in and they're ready to go. I've never had to shave them. Get the rosewood. I don't know why anyone ever makes pegs out of ebony... the main problem with wood pegs is that they go out of round when the humidity changes, and ebony is just about the movingest wood there is :?
DennisK

Postby snowbozo13 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Chuck If on a budget , google oud pegs on amazon there is a seller there that sells ebony and olivewood lute pegs. The thickness was abt 8.5mm their not cosistently sized but the price is vy low $$ Bought olivewood , they are handmade.I use viola pegs for gtr from goetz in germany high$$ but top quality.
snowbozo13

Next

Return to Luthiers