Classical Guitar Fret Material

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
greensleeves

Classical Guitar Fret Material

Postby greensleeves » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 pm

hi. i am doing some restoration on a vintage classical guitar and i am going to replace the frets.

what kind of metal is right for classical guitar frets? the ones on my guitar look kind of like brass maybe. definetely not nickel or steel.

does anyone know of a place to buy fret wire for a classical guitar?

bacsidoan

Re: Classical Guitar Fret Material

Postby bacsidoan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 pm

IMHO, the best material for fret wires that looks like brass is EVO Gold (manufactured by Jescar). Its hardness is between nickel silver and stainless steel. I have them installed on my three new guitars. Highly recommended. You can buy it directly from Jescar, LMI or even e - b a y.
Last edited by bacsidoan on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greensleeves

Postby greensleeves » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:02 pm

thanks ill look into that

sebastiaan56
Amateur luthier

Postby sebastiaan56 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 am

Brass frets are available on that auction site. They come from China. I guess it depends how authentic you want the restoration to be.

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Postby Waddy Thomson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 pm

If it's an older guitar, the frets are, most likely, Nickel Silver. Fretting supplies are available at all of the guitar material suppliers. Your concern will be size.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

PaulWeaver

Postby PaulWeaver » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi,

Finding replacement frets can be a tiresome task. Proper measurements of the width and depth of the fret slow must be made. Additionally, the fret height will affect the action and new frets are often higher than the old ones being replaces... which may mean the saddle will need to be raised. I recommend taking several precise measurements of all the need specs then try and find replacements. Stewmac.com and LMII.com carry an array of fret wire.

Best,
Paul Weaver
LamareGuitars.com

Return to “Luthiers”