manuel conde guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
cookie

manuel conde guitar

Postby cookie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 am

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the provenance of one of my guitars. (The depth of knowledge of some contributors never ceases to impress me.)

I acquired it second-hand in 1981, and I think it had been a fairly expensive guitar at first purchase.

The label reads as follows:

Constructor de Guitarras

Manuel Conde

Fernandez de los Rios 40

Madrid

It's signed and dated 1977.

The headstock looks similar to those used on some Conde Hermanos guitars, but I can find no reference to Manuel on any of the sites that give the history of the Conde Hermanos. Was he a long-lost cousin, a black sheep of the family, someone trading off the name, or is it just coincidental?

Thanks in advance

Cookie

Ewan_barr

Re: manuel conde guitar

Postby Ewan_barr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:02 pm

I have a very similar guitar, with the exception of the date. Mine is dated 1982. I actually found your post whilst looking for information about my guitar. If you have found any information about your guitar I would be very interested if you could pass it on, Thank you.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Ewan_barr, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

ColinRowcroft

Postby ColinRowcroft » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 pm

I bought a Manuel Conde guitar privately second-hand in the early 1970's. It was originally bought from the Spanish Guitar centre in Gateshead near to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. I took BMG magazine and have year 1968 copies which have advertisements for Manuel Conde guitars from this shop and also from Rudall, Carte in London. Prices £65 to £128. In today's money I guess you could factor by perhaps up to 20 times based on my wages then and typical wages now. A Conde Hermanos Flamenco is advertised at £93. My guitar label states it was constructed for Manuel Conde Fernandez de los Rois, Madrid by Atonio Hermandez. The Gateshead shop does not exist now - at least it does not come up on a website.
I am new to this forum and tried to add a pdf with the above adverts on it without success. If anyone wants a copy you can contact me by PM.

Brynmor

Postby Brynmor » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:01 pm

I bought a new Manuel Conde classical guitar from The Spanish Guitar Centre, London in the early 1970s. I do not think that there was a maker named Manuel Conde but rather that the name was used for a factory-made instrument. I recall that it was a good quality student instrument.

John Underhill

Postby John Underhill » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I too have a Manuel Conde guitar but I can't add any information about the maker unfortunately. Mine has a cedar top and the label is as described in the first post in this thread, signed and dated 1968. I bought it in Newcastle-upon-Tyne when I was a student there.

Adyonline

Postby Adyonline » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi. I have a 1973 Manuel Conde, it is quite light in construction, slightly rounded back and low action. Given the materials it appears to be a flamenco styled guitar. The machine heads are not particularly high quality but the rest of the guitar looks to have quite some potential.

Adyonline

Postby Adyonline » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:40 am

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:42 pm

There have been ongoing discussions about how the Conde clan can crank out the thousands of guitars sporting the label but with an aroma found in the city of Valencia. The mystery may now be solved? A heretofore unknown member of the Conde clan locked in a basement in Madrid working 24 hours a day 7 days a week making Conde guitars?

I have never heard or read about a mysterious Conde luthier named Manuel. The Conde lineage is Domingo then Julio/Faustino/Mariano Sr. then Felipe/Mariano Jr. No Manuel listed from what I can tell. Without seeing the heastock but taking the poster description that the headstock looks like a Conde media luna I would hazard a guess old Manuel was trying to capitalize on the Conde reputation. It is one thing to have the same last name but another to also have one's headstock look the same.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Adyonline

Postby Adyonline » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Keith,

The headstock on my Manuel Conde is nothing like my Hermanos Conde but is instead a very dull rounded hump. However some of the trim is similar if that means anything. The tuners have that typical Gotoh shape though certainly aren't of the quality of the ones used on my 1990's Hermanos which I think are the 35G1600's. I'll try to get some pics of the Manuel Conde uploaded.

I've not previously considered the luthier to be related to the Conde dynasty, but instead I'll be happy if my e - b a y punt turns out to be a rather nice guitar which is worth a bit more than I paid for it. I have quite a bit of work to do on it before it's ready for stringing

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:28 am

Adyonline--cookie, the o.p., says his headstock looks like a conde--but no pictures. i would imagine manuel conde was a legit luthier who tried his hand at making luthiery a career. i can only imagine what the conde bros would do if someone tried to capitalize on their family name. i can envision them taking the scoundrel out in the back alley and working him over over with chisels and clamps.

labels from unknowns can really get in the way when a guitar is a great specimen.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Adyonline

Postby Adyonline » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi All,

As promised, I have taken some pictures of the Manuel Conde which hopefully will provide some info on the quality and design by the luthier.

roundback_small.jpg
Head_small.jpg
insidebody_small3.jpg
insidebody_small2.jpg
insidebody_small.jpg
Label_small.jpg
decor1_small.jpg
guitar_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Luthiers”