manuel conde guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

manuel conde guitar

Postby cookie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 am

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the provenance of one of my guitars. (The depth of knowledge of some contributors never ceases to impress me.)

I acquired it second-hand in 1981, and I think it had been a fairly expensive guitar at first purchase.

The label reads as follows:

Constructor de Guitarras

Manuel Conde

Fernandez de los Rios 40

Madrid

It's signed and dated 1977.

The headstock looks similar to those used on some Conde Hermanos guitars, but I can find no reference to Manuel on any of the sites that give the history of the Conde Hermanos. Was he a long-lost cousin, a black sheep of the family, someone trading off the name, or is it just coincidental?

Thanks in advance

Cookie
cookie

Re: manuel conde guitar

Postby Ewan_barr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:02 pm

I have a very similar guitar, with the exception of the date. Mine is dated 1982. I actually found your post whilst looking for information about my guitar. If you have found any information about your guitar I would be very interested if you could pass it on, Thank you.
Ewan_barr

Postby GeoffB » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Ewan_barr, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby ColinRowcroft » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 pm

I bought a Manuel Conde guitar privately second-hand in the early 1970's. It was originally bought from the Spanish Guitar centre in Gateshead near to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. I took BMG magazine and have year 1968 copies which have advertisements for Manuel Conde guitars from this shop and also from Rudall, Carte in London. Prices £65 to £128. In today's money I guess you could factor by perhaps up to 20 times based on my wages then and typical wages now. A Conde Hermanos Flamenco is advertised at £93. My guitar label states it was constructed for Manuel Conde Fernandez de los Rois, Madrid by Atonio Hermandez. The Gateshead shop does not exist now - at least it does not come up on a website.
I am new to this forum and tried to add a pdf with the above adverts on it without success. If anyone wants a copy you can contact me by PM.
ColinRowcroft

Postby Brynmor » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:01 pm

I bought a new Manuel Conde classical guitar from The Spanish Guitar Centre, London in the early 1970s. I do not think that there was a maker named Manuel Conde but rather that the name was used for a factory-made instrument. I recall that it was a good quality student instrument.
Brynmor

Postby John Underhill » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I too have a Manuel Conde guitar but I can't add any information about the maker unfortunately. Mine has a cedar top and the label is as described in the first post in this thread, signed and dated 1968. I bought it in Newcastle-upon-Tyne when I was a student there.
John Underhill

Return to Luthiers