New Koa and Spruce

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Peter Oberg
Luthier

Re: New Koa and Spruce

Post by Peter Oberg » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 pm

iim7V7IM7 wrote:Beautiful Peter...

Once you get some french polish on it, the flamed curl of the koa and the hazelfichte in the engelmann will begin to visually blossom.

Kudos
Thank you. I've been anxious to get some polish on it for exactly that reason. Thanks for your comments.

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:24 pm

martinardo wrote:Great thread and photos, Peter. Thanks for taking the time to document some of the steps

in your marvellous work.

One question I have: Is the inclined angle of the peghead quite shallow (relative to the fretboard) or perhaps

it's the camera positions ? Most tasteful carving on the face btw.
Thanks for the kind words. The head angle is 12 degrees. I think the picture makes it look less than it is, but I do think 12 degrees is a bit less than most use. I think the average might be closer to 14-15 degrees, but I'm not sure about that.

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:25 pm

I like 12 degrees too, and use it myself. Lots of builders use the "normal" 15 degrees, particularly for a scarf.

Your work is beautiful, Peter! Is the neck just glued on with the clamping system and spline? No bolts.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:03 am

Waddy Thomson wrote:I like 12 degrees too, and use it myself. Lots of builders use the "normal" 15 degrees, particularly for a scarf.

Your work is beautiful, Peter! Is the neck just glued on with the clamping system and spline? No bolts.
Thanks for taking the time to comment Waddy, really appreciate that.
That's correct, no bolts. I spend some time making sure the neck/heel end mates perfectly to the body, then size the joint before gluing. Between that, the spline, and
the fingerboard adding to the structure there's no doubt in my mind it's a solid setup.
p

Brian Brogan

Post by Brian Brogan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Wow Peter,

What an awesome looking guitar. I'm sure it sounds fantastic. I really enjoyed following the process and love the detailed pictures. I've always liked recessed and stippled (?) headstocks and hope to try that on my next guitar. Thanks for taking the time to detail this build. :D

Johan Espina

Post by Johan Espina » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Really neat. I love your work Peter ! I think I will adopt your neck joint for my next build. Do you glue it with epoxy, titebond, hide glue ? I know how to size with hide glue but not with the other types (titebond doesn't glue well on itself).

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm

riffmeister wrote:Taking shape nicely.......and looking gorgeous!
Thank you mr. riffmeister! Once again, you are too kind.

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Brian Brogan wrote:Wow Peter,

What an awesome looking guitar. I'm sure it sounds fantastic. I really enjoyed following the process and love the detailed pictures. I've always liked recessed and stippled (?) headstocks and hope to try that on my next guitar. Thanks for taking the time to detail this build. :D
Thanks Brian. Just go for it on the headstock of your next guitar-find a design for the recessed area that you like and have at it. Bit of a challenge that, but good for refining the hand tool skills.
p

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Johan Espina wrote:Really neat. I love your work Peter ! I think I will adopt your neck joint for my next build. Do you glue it with epoxy, titebond, hide glue ? I know how to size with hide glue but not with the other types (titebond doesn't glue well on itself).
Thanks Johan. I size the end grain with diluted Titebond, let it dry well, lightly sand and then glue on the neck. It's not really gluing to itself-most of the diluted glue is absorbed into and seals the end grain. I think it's probably not even necessary, and I have to admit I think I forget to do it sometimes!
p

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 am

First coats of shellac.

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Yow! That koa sure pops under the shellac! Beautiful!

iim7V7IM7

Post by iim7V7IM7 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:17 pm

Ah, some San Diego curl...:)
2015 - John Buscarino, 650 mm, Carpathian Spruce/Honduran Rosewood
2014 - Peter Oberg, 640 mm, Western Red Cedar/Black Cherry

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Post by Peter Oberg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Hello all,
I have been busy with orders, but lately I have had a chance to almost catch up on the polishing of this guitar. I'm in the final stage, and will start the bridge soon, which I plan to photo document and post here. The bear claw on the top seems to be incredibly hard to photograph in my shop for some reason, hence the multiple shots of the top. I really have this thing about while maple, meaning I can't stand the look of it, so I've been trying to get the look of old ivory and I think I'm almost there (the bindings). The shellac is a 'beige'.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:54 am

Sofa King Gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Ceder151

Post by Ceder151 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 am

Wow. It looks great. I really love the rosette.

Return to “Luthiers”