Olivier Pozzo Double-Top Spruce/MRW

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Krokmou

Olivier Pozzo Double-Top Spruce/MRW

Post by Krokmou » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:50 am

Hello,

I'm getting a guitar build from Olivier Pozzo a french luthier who live in Nimes (south of france). I thought it would be cool to share with you pictures of the guitar being build.

This is a double top spruce/spruce guitar, with Madagascar rosewood back and sides. Olivier Pozzo is one of the rare luthier to build double top guitar in France, he also build all wood lattice guitar and traditional guitar.

I tried many guitar before choosing Olivier to build my guitar. Among them spanish, australian, canadian, french and american luthier. I tried three guitar from Olivier, one lattice, one double top, and one double-top/lattice. All three of them sounded good, but the double top got my vote. I already had a preference for double top after trying all the guitar.

No more talk, here are the pictures :D
SDC16948.jpg
SDC16949.jpg
SDC16959.jpg
SDC16968.jpg
SDC16971.jpg
SDC16972.jpg
SDC16975.jpg
SDC17011.jpg
SDC17021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivier Pozzo - French luthier - Spruce double-top guitar

ivan

Re: Olivier Pozzo Double-Top Spruce/MRW

Post by ivan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Very nice!
I'm definitely sure this guitar will gives you a lot of happines. :-)

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Thank you Ivan, I'm sure it will !!

Here is a new picture, the spruce/spruce double top, we can se the nomex thanks to transparency !
SDC17004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robb

Post by robb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:48 am

Holy cow that is one nice rosette. When is the guitar due?

Aren't you getting a double top? Whats the fan-braced top doing there? Is that the inner top?

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 am

Yes I love it too my favorite rosette so far !

Yes I'm a getting a double top, but the two top are already glue together on my pictures. So what you can see is the inner top with fan brace on it, but the brace are not glued yet.

jaydenp

Post by jaydenp » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 am

nice rosette even though the design is simple and non traditional

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks for posting. I like what he's doing, both artistically and technically. He does his double top laminations in what appears to be, the same way I do mine - he's leaving a solid area around the bridge.
This is a really good idea, because it allows the maker to re-glue and/or remove the bridge at a some point in the future, if need be. Most DT makers I've seen don't have solid wood around the bridge, and it will pretty much make the guitar unrepairable in the future.

I like his rosette too. Nice work.

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Marcus Dominelli wrote:Thanks for posting. I like what he's doing, both artistically and technically. He does his double top laminations in what appears to be, the same way I do mine - he's leaving a solid area around the bridge.
This is a really good idea, because it allows the maker to re-glue and/or remove the bridge at a some point in the future, if need be. Most DT makers I've seen don't have solid wood around the bridge, and it will pretty much make the guitar unrepairable in the future.

I like his rosette too. Nice work.
Thank you Marcus. He was pleased to hear your kind words. And he said you understood the way he reasoned building the guitar this way.

Building of the back (three pieces lamination : Madagascar rosewood/Maple cross grain/Indian Rosewood. The goal is to enhance stabiliy :
SDC16938.jpg
SDC16940.jpg
SDC16941.jpg
SDC16943.jpg
Last edited by Krokmou on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:24 pm

Building of the sides :
SDC17033.jpg
SDC17034.jpg
SDC17040.jpg
SDC17050.jpg
SDC17054.jpg
SDC17059.jpg
SDC17067.jpg

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 pm

This might be a dumb question, but will this be a rather heavy guitar? All those layers of wood/glue must weigh a fair bit, don't they? It certainly looks like it will be very beautiful -- that spruce top and rosette are exquisite.

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:03 am

Is the back going to have braces, or be an arched laminate? If I'd have to guess I'd say with bracing...

Also, is it going to have an elevated fingerboard? He's obviously building the neck and body separately.

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:This might be a dumb question, but will this be a rather heavy guitar? All those layers of wood/glue must weigh a fair bit, don't they? It certainly looks like it will be very beautiful -- that spruce top and rosette are exquisite.
Actually this guitar will not be heavy according to my luthier. Indeed, the number of layer of wood is irrevelant, the true factor is the thickness of the sides and back, and the wood used (all the wood does not have the same weight and density). For the sides he used cedro for the inside which is a light wood.

According to my luthier the guitar total weight will be around 1600 - 1700 grams like a traditionally built guitar.
Is the back going to have braces, or be an arched laminate? If I'd have to guess I'd say with bracing...

Also, is it going to have an elevated fingerboard? He's obviously building the neck and body separately.
It is going to have braces as you can see on the picture number 9.
It is not planned to have an elevated fingerboard although he has already done it before !

Thank you for your interest :D
Last edited by Krokmou on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric2801

Post by ric2801 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:06 pm

wow, very beautiful woods, great pictures. thank you for share :)

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:55 pm

ric2801 wrote:wow, very beautiful woods, great pictures. thank you for share :)
Thank you Eric :D

It's Christmas ! Here are the new pictures :
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:56 pm

30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg

Return to “Luthiers”