D05 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:51 pm

:bravo: to all those who have posted above. Personally I've found this lesson really tough going, particularly the Outrid. I'm not sure if I've found it hard because I don't like it, or whether I don't like it because it's so hard!

John – now you’ve got the rhythm sorted in the second part, the whole piece sounds great. Your polyphony is nicely done too, although I think Tim manages to bring the ‘m’ and ‘i’ out even more. (I just about manage accenting ‘p’ and ‘a’)

Tim, as mentioned, your polyphony is really well done. Your Wascha is at a great tempo, you could perhaps try to bring out the higher notes (The ‘A’s on the top string for example)

Chris, your rhythm is a little out in m7 of Wascha. It might help just playing the single line melody along to M. Delcamp. In the second section I found the only way I could get the rhythm was to listen to M. Delcamp’s version repeatedly, although I suspect you may be wanting to move on. I know I do!

Guiseppe – very well played, one slight thing I may have heard; in m6 of the Outrid piece you seem to come in a little early with the fifth and sixth set of notes? The Wascha sounds great.

My final submissions....

The polyphony

Youtube

I note with dismay that my Outrid is even longer than last year's attempt. My advice is not to waste almost 4 minutes of your time and simply listen to the final 5 seconds when I triumphantly finish on the wrong chord!

El Postillon

Youtube

Bring on lesson 4.... please!

:bye:

PS Hi Loiseng, the guitar is an Alhambra 11P (spruce)
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Stewart,the piece is difficult, you should study the pieces very slowly and with metronomo :bravo: .grazie for your comment :merci:

P.S. however forward with the 4, which is complicated :chaud: :bye:

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:36 am

Havard - Thanks for the feedback and tips, I went back and re-worked several of those items this past week when I was able to practice. On your Polyphony, it was difficult to make out which voice was being emphasized in some of the passes, but you mentioned that the exercise was under-worked :-)
The Wascha Mesa was very well played at a quick pace, I still have some polishing to do on that one and Postillion. The Postillion was pretty good, only a couple of little minor bumps I recall hearing. :bravo: :applauso:

Tim - Nice job with Wascha Mesa , you look pretty comfortable playing at the lively tempo. The Postillon de la rioja can be a tough one, but you got through it with only a few small bumps here and there. The Polyphony was well executed and it was easy to detect which voices were being emphasized with greater volume. :bravo: :applauso:

jean-michel bongiraud wrote:hello friends guitarists !
jean-michel
Jean-Michel - Welcome to the Delcamp english forum, I recently joined the French forum two months ago, I'll try and post in the online lessons when possible.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:38 am

Chris - It may be helpful to have the base of the music stand positioned somewhere between your left knee/foot and the headstock of your guitar to where the the sheet music and guitar neck are in the same field of view. It can make sight-reading a little smoother with fewer neck turns away from music pages while playing that can inadvertently disrupt flow during passages that require looking at hand/positions shifts and music changes
:-)

On the Washa Mesa, there's a few places where the bass line appears to be getting muted or played very softly in the A and B sections.
:okok:

Giuseppe - Well Done overall :bravo: :applauso:
On Washa Mesa, watch for the break/rest in the melody line in measure 3 and m19 between the bass line notes

Stewart - You have the sections of the pieces learned, just needs a few more repetitions :okok: :mouton:
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

jean-michel bongiraud

Post by jean-michel bongiraud » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Merci John ,
also je posterai si mes Enregistrements Sont bien sur le forum anglais !
on verra !
Etes vous en plus ici qu'ailleurs Nombreux et très Performants Dans l' ensemble ! Bravo !
mes amitiés et bon courage a tous versez le Cours 4 !!!
Jean Michel

Merci John,
également je posterai si mes enregistrements sont bien sur le forum anglais !
on verra !
vous êtes plus nombreux ici qu'ailleurs et très performants dans l'ensemble ! bravo !
mes amitiés et bon courage à tous pour le cours 4 !!!
jean-michel

Tim Wang

Post by Tim Wang » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Here are my comments. A bit late, but here they are :)
Good job everybody for getting through this lesson. Lesson 4 seems a bit intimidating :shock:

John - Great job on your new recordings, nothing much I can add other than what is already mentioned and good accenting on the polyphonie! Great job overall! And thank you for your comments!

Eric - Great job on the Wascha Mesa, although I was wondering if you purposely played m. 25 as single notes instead of playing them with pull-offs and hammer-ons?
Oudrid was also good, a few bumps here and there, but great overall.

Havard - Good job on all your pieces, a few bum notes here and there, but great overall. I especially enjoyed how you paid attention to the rests and stopped the notes where they were suppose to. I’m sure if you practiced a bit more you’d be able to not only get rid of the small mistakes, but even take out some of the buzzes! Keep up the good work!

Chris - Keep up the good work, you’re getting there! I might suggest that you box up the measures that you’re having more trouble with and practicing on those measures more. I noticed how both of these two pieces in this lesson didn’t highlight difficult passages (except for m. 25 in Wascha Mesa), but we can always highlight our own difficult passages as we play through the piece a couple of times 

Loiseng - Good job catching up! I really like your recording and the microphone that you’re using! I’ve been looking into the Blue Yeti also, but haven’t decided to buy it yet. You’re recordings and the slight echo that resounds in your room brings out a great effect.

Stewart - Good recording you got there, nice and steady, I’m sure if you keep practicing you’ll be able to bring up the tempo a little bit more. I particularly like your bass notes in m. 17 and 21 on the Wascha Messa! Thanks for the comments! I’ll definitely work on bringing out those higher notes! (I’m sure that’s why Mr. Delcamp wanted us to practice the polyphonie )

Giuseppe – Nothing much I can add, great recordings!

Jean-Michel
Hello! Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your compliments!

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:12 pm

And here's my Oudrid

Youtube

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Here are my very late recordings for this lesson. I'm not too happy about my progress with this lesson, haven't had as much practice as I would have liked, and feel that I have taken a step back with my technique. The strings are well past their prime as well, but I decided against changing them before recording because of the stretching period.

Sorry about the mistakes and general sloppiness, but I'm anxious to move into the next lesson, and I wanted to get these out of the way first.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi Marko,
If you hadn't mentioned it, I certainly wouldn't have thought that you still need some practice or new strings! It was a pleasure to listen to your recordings. You have made some great steps ahead in interpretation. Funny enough, I don't mind little mistakes when it sounds like music!

The guitar may sound a bit like it's filled with cotton wool, but I prefer that to using reverb.
See you in lesson 4!

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Thank you Eric! I guess they would have been fine for the first or second takes, but I think I must have made perhaps 10 takes for each piece, and still had too many mistakes :oops: For me that's a sure sign of not doing my homework. Regarding the strings, it is perhaps more apparent to the player. When the treble strings stop stretching to a degree that I don't have to tune them up after not playing for a day or more, they develop a tinny sound. I can't get the warm tone I want, and my playing feels forced. I don't have as much problem with the basses.

I'm glad to hear though that it would have gone unnoticed :D

I have noticed before that staying away from the guitar gives me ideas for interpretation. Sadly it also means that there is less chance for the technical implementation of them to succeed :wink:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:16 am

Thanks Eric, Giuseppe and Marko for posting the Bach minuet. The side-ways camera angle helps me as I'm practicing this one too, not without issues.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:36 am

NIcely done Marko, nice work :bravo:

I always enjoy hearing your recordings and interpretations :casque:

Kudos to you and Eric for posting some of the additional lesson 3 pieces.

Looking forward to the L4 submissions
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 am

:merci: John! I'll try to be more punctual with the next lesson submissions. :D
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Polyphony

Youtube

Wascha mesa

Youtube

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi Satyajit,good :bravo: you've done a good job, with the right hand (in phrases) is better to alternate index-middle or M/A or I/A :chaud: otherwise will not get to speed up :wink: :bye:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”