D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Chu Bun » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "MI mineur" video link. :)
Clear even notes. Good transition from thumb to i/m and vice versa. You make good progress.

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:58 pm

Great work Chu! I would recommend exaggerating the tone changes in VALSE by moving further towards the fretboard or the bridge but you did great with dynamics in that piece.

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Nice job Zafar. Notes sound very clear and technique is great. You do a great job with positioning your fingers on your plucking hand!

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello,
Here are my submissions this month:
Scale 10

Youtube

3 note arpeggios

Youtube

Valse

Youtube

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:48 am

Nathanael,

Over all clear notes and good tempo. Need to be more observant of damping.
I think you are not used to play rest strokes. In the arpeggio piece, there is a sudden change in your plucking hand position at measure 16 when you did the eighth note runs with i/m rest strokes. And in the valse piece, your whole hand moved when you played rest stroke with the thumb. It seems you then needed to reposition your hand to play the treble notes, and as a result the base note went a little bit longer than the other two.
Lastly, when you play free stroke with the thumb, there is a lot of movement from the tip joint which looks strange. Below is a clip from a random search on youtube which I think is a typical thumb free stroke.
https://youtu.be/p4H0FZwza8E?t=62

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi, Nathanael Benassi,
Well done,
I watched and liked your all study assignments.
Good tempo,Rhythm,melody.Good right hand movements at different positions.
Good video,audio,lighting,posture.
Chu Bun analyzed it in great detail.Keep it up.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:28 pm

By the way, Chu, is it required to do rest strokes in any of the two pieces? The only suitable case is thumb muting (for example, stroke E to A), right?
Cordoba C9

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello

To get a better overview of the course I have collected all videos on one page.

http://delcampshortcut.github.io/d02
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:The only suitable case is thumb muting (for example, stroke E to A), right?
That seems to be the only place. I also played rest strokes in measure 16 in the arpeggio piece, but I believe prof. Delcamp used free strokes in his clip.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi, Bert Stendahl,
Thanks for creating a library of study assignment videos at one location.Smart idea and it is helpful.
I listen to your study assignment " ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE" mp3 audio.
Good effort to maintain tempo.Keep it up.

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 am

Help...!
I just realized that Im muting the strings differently than Prof. Delcamp. In Arpeggi Di Tre Note, measure 6, he plays D base note and right after he mutes the A base note from the preceding measure...ive been muting first the preceding note. Does it matter which order is done? ...or is it just whatever feel comfortable/easier to play?

In the scales...Mi minor has 1 sharp: F .. Why are C and D sharp on the way up?
Edna Lopez

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:12 am

Edna Lopez wrote:Help...!
I just realized that Im muting the strings differently than Prof. Delcamp. In Arpeggi Di Tre Note, measure 6, he plays D base note and right after he mutes the A base note from the preceding measure...ive been muting first the preceding note. Does it matter which order is done? ...or is it just whatever feel comfortable/easier to play?

In the scales...Mi minor has 1 sharp: F .. Why are C and D sharp on the way up?
Hi Edna,

The damping symbols can be a little misleading in that Carulli exercise/study compared to how its seen in other exercises with a tie/line back to a preceding note.

In the Carulli on p.22 treat the symbols as a reminder to dampen a preceding bass line note that may still be ringing before playing the bass note above the damping symbol. In that exercise the damping symbols are mainly reminding to dampen any stray/resonating open string bass notes (A, E, D) that can linger.

Regarding the minor scale question, keep in mind that the melodic minor scale borrows from the natural minor scale, but the 6th and 7th scale degrees are raised a semi-tone ascending, but natural when descending.

Natural Minor formula: 1 2 ♭3 4 5 6 7 8 (same ascending and descending)
Melodic Minor formula: 1 2 ♭3 4 5 #6 #7 8 (ascending), 8 ♮7 ♮6 5 4 ♭3 2 1 (descending)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:56 am

Edna Lopez wrote:... Does it matter which order is done? ...or is it just whatever feel comfortable/easier to play?
If I remember correctly in all the exercises with similar patterns, damping is done "after". Don't rely too much on the comfortable/easy feeling. It would often be easier and more comfortable to repeat a bad habit than to learn the correct way. Personally, when I am not sure what to do, I blindly follow the instructions from the teacher.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:57 am

Hi, Nathanael Benassi,
Regarding study assignment "VALSE at page 50",after playing from measure 1 to last measure 24, text form "D.C. al Final"meaning you repeat the measures once again from "measure 1 to measure 16" also in text written "Fine".To begin the repeat you just need to play "measure 1 to 8" once,not twice.I pointed this out to show you the music sheet requirements for this study assignment.No harm done.Regarding guitar string sound, which I pointed you out last month,it still exists.You may check the reason for metallic sound.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 am

Hi, Edna Lopez,
John explain it very well in detail.My explanation will be of similar nature as John did regarding E-Minor Scale.If you still need help,just shout.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”