D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
David Florea
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by David Florea » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Angela, your playing is very good. You seem to be improving very quickly from last lesson.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 am

David Florea wrote:Angela, your playing is very good. You seem to be improving very quickly from last lesson.
Hi David
Thank you very much !
I still need more practice, there are some noises during my finger touch the string, it's not easy to avoid.

:merci:

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Im not noticing it. Keep it up, your doing great!

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Dear Clasmates, I am posting my D01 Lesson 06 submissions. They are rough, but i do not wish to "get bogged down". I will continue to practice.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:13 am

Hello classmates. Here are my study assignments for Lesson 6. I am really enjoying these pieces, and although my recordings are choppy, there is a great sense of accomplishment in learning to read music. I was making recordings for lesson 5 and lesson 6 in an effort to catch up and I wanted to complete all of the recordings before posting them.

Thank you all.
-Juan
Scales in third, numéro 6.

Youtube

Ricercar

Youtube

Sor-Lecon 1- Opus 60

Youtube

:casque:

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:40 am

[quote="David Florea"]Dear Clasmates, I am posting my D01 Lesson 06 submissions. They are rough, but i do not wish to "get bogged down". I will continue to practice.
David, these were though pieces. Keep up the good work though. I believe the point of posting after one week of practice (choppy and rough) is to be able to receive pointers. I may be wrong, but I think that Professor DelCamp asking for the assignments after one week of practice, is so that we show the overall picture, which is what you have done well. We will have the rest of the month to continue working on the pieces. It is easier said than done with busy schedules, but posting the videos ASAP pushes us to have a true music conservatory experience - "Homework is due in a week!"
"WHAT?!" - says I. :chaud:
:bravo:

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Observation and question....

I've just become aware of my string plucking hand position. After looking closely at the maestro's hand position as well as Cao's I see that the hand is not held flatly with the wrist unbent. It seems to be extended with a bent wrist. Is this to bring the nails more into play and/or be able to play with a jacket and cufflinks? It seems to be a standard position with the professionals and more advanced players. If so this another bad habit I need to break. In order to keep excessive posts to minimum I will thank all who respond in advance.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Sal,

IMO, technique is a very personal thing. There's no such thing as absolutely truth. Segovia played with a bent wrist, John Williams did not. I play with a bent wrist, but I must admit I don't really want to play this way. Naturally a straight wrist doesn't hinder the movements of the fingers as an extremely bent one, but you can still bend it to some extent. The consensus is a straighter wrist is healthier for your hand.

Why I play with a bent wrist:

1. I play finger alternation with a more bent wrist, because my i finger is much shorter than my m finger. It needs some help from the wrist to reach the same string as the m finger in a way that I can produce a consistent tone. I play arpeggios with a straighter wrist.

2. I play free stroke with a straighter wrist, because my fingers can flex to reach the same string. If I play rest stroke with straight (extended) i and m fingers, I will have to bend my wrist all the way to the right, which is uncomfortable. I compensate it a bit to play with a straighter wrist by letting the tip joint of my m finger loose and backward. Some dogmatic teachers will oppose that but many fine players do it, including Pepe Romero. I do retain the firmness of the tip joint at the moment of release.

3. My nails force me to shape them in a way that favors the bent wrist position. William Kanengiser said a nail shape with ramp highly angled to the right is easier to play with a straighter wrist, while a nail shape that is more rounded and perpendicular to the finger tip is more toward the bent wrist position. I agree with him on that.

4. I can get a straighter wrist by raising the guitar neck higher, but it makes my entire body uncomfortable. Need to get a compromise position.

5. It's only the sound that matters. Standard, conventionality, whether "right" or "wrong", do not.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:Observation and question....

I've just become aware of my string plucking hand position. After looking closely at the maestro's hand position as well as Cao's I see that the hand is not held flatly with the wrist unbent. It seems to be extended with a bent wrist. Is this to bring the nails more into play and/or be able to play with a jacket and cufflinks? It seems to be a standard position with the professionals and more advanced players. If so this another bad habit I need to break. In order to keep excessive posts to minimum I will thank all who respond in advance.

After re-reading this I think you might have been talking about something else...

Looking from above the right hand can be:

1. bent upward or downward from the wrist (flat/curve)
2. bent sideways to the thumb (not likely) or to the pinky from the wrist (straight/bent)
3. tilted toward to pinky or to the thumb

I was referring to 2. in my last post. For 1. and 3., generally the hand surface is held more or less parallel to the soundboard with a curve wrist. For me a flat wrist is more comfortable but it's harder for the thumb to pluck. I find the simultaneous rest stroke exercises give a balanced hand position regarding to both the thumb and the fingers. About 3., RobMacKillop, a member of our forum, who plays without nails and can produce amazing sound, tilts his right hand to and extreme to the pinky. It's all personal and depends on your unique hand anatomy.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 am

Not so even, but here is my free stroke exercise. I hope to have the additional videos posted in a few days.

Youtube
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Here's Ricercar

Youtube

And Sor. This one has a couple of fumbles. :oops: And I inadvertently cut out my right hand in video. But here they are! I will continue to work on them, but I am glad I am all caught up. I will be able to join the rest of you for Lesson 7!

Youtube
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Esteemed colleagues,
Here are my submissions parts 1 & 2 of 3 for the current lesson.
(1)Gam_en_Tiers.mp3
Anon - RICERCAR.mp3
Best wishes to all, and thanks for listening :casque:
Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:46 pm

...and here is my best shot, at playing the Sor, Leçon 1 op. 60 in its entirety.
Leçon_I.mp3
I cried over this, :cry: wow I can't believe how complicated it gets once you throw in a couple of repeats.

HAPPY NOW! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Jonathan Lamb wrote:...and here is my best shot, at playing the Sor, Leçon 1 op. 60 in its entirety.
I cried over this, :cry: wow I can't believe how complicated it gets once you throw in a couple of repeats.
HAPPY NOW! 8)
You did fine.
It can seem daunting at first, but keep nibbling away measure by measure at slow speeds striving for perfect execution, then gradually increase tempo.

Everyone's putting in some quality time and improving their skill and technique week by week.
Kudos to all :bravo:
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the headz-up!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”