D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi, Chu Bun,
In study assignment "SAUTEUSE Opus 59",Second section,measure 4 and 5.
Yes, Ring finger can damp "A" note,thumb can damp low strings "D" and "E" in measure 4. In measure 5,you choose fingers "ring" "middle"
"index","middle".
In music sheet, the sequence considering the first section is "middle index","middle index".In that case ring finger can damp "D" note on string 2 and thumb can damp low strings.Just my opinion,my own progress for this study assignment is not yet to the level to express myself confidently. :)

Edit:
I practice the entire "SAUTEUSE" piece and block notes following the music sheet.
First section, Right hand fingers marked on music sheet are "middle Index" for full section 1.
Second section, Right hand fingers marked "ring","middle" Index" for measure 1 and half of measure 2. No other finger markings for entire section 2 and section 3.
I,try to watch different students fingering, but fail to conclude the pattern.Angela Zhao played it very fast tempo.
I feel more comfortable to keep the standard arpeggio pattern by using "ring finger" on string 1,"middle finger"on string 2,"index finger" on string 3.Thumb on strings 4,5,6. :)

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:11 am

Chu Bun wrote:Adrei,

Thank you for the comments and for noticing my new "do".
I'm just curious how you guys/gals handle the dampings in the 5th and 6th measures of the second section? Below is how I do it and the combi of (p) and (a) in the second measure caused me 10s of retakes. (plucking damping fingers are between parentheses).
excerpt.jpg
I started learning this piece and I think the ideal scenario is like this (I'll follow it):
Measure 5
D (p) + A (i) and damp _two_ strings right after: 5th with thumb and 2nd with (m). Somehow the score does not say about thumb damp but I think it should be there
B (m)
C (i)
C# (m)

Measure 6
G (p) + E and damp 4th string with thumb
D (m) and damp 1st string with (a)
B (i)
G (m)

Note: this fingering is different from what Chu suggested.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:23 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Chu Bun wrote:Adrei,

Thank you for the comments and for noticing my new "do".
I'm just curious how you guys/gals handle the dampings in the 5th and 6th measures of the second section? Below is how I do it and the combi of (p) and (a) in the second measure caused me 10s of retakes. (plucking damping fingers are between parentheses).
excerpt.jpg
I started learning this piece and I think the ideal scenario is like this (I'll follow it):
Measure 5
D (p) + A (i) and damp _two_ strings right after: 5th with thumb and 2nd with (m). Somehow the score does not say about thumb damp but I think it should be there
B (m)
C (i)
C# (m)

Measure 6
G (p) + E and damp 4th string with thumb
D (m) and damp 1st string with (a)
B (i)
G (m)

Note: this fingering is different from what Chu suggested.
Well, I just realized that first and last note fingers are the same as in adjacent measures.... Need to revisit it.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:33 pm

I watched the prof's clip, and apparently his damping was much simpler (probably he used both fretting and plucking hand damping). Maybe we make it more difficult that it should be.
Andrei Puhach wrote: Well, I just realized that first and last note fingers are the same as in adjacent measures.... Need to revisit it.
Same on my excerpt. The last "m" should be changed to "a" (I believe I played with "a" but wrote down "m").

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Hello All 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:Hello All 8)
Hi Bert, I think you did a great job! Your Sauteuse sounds cleaner than previous submissions. That's nice progress!
But it looks like there is some problem with your bass strings A and E, the sound is a bit muted and it looks like you have to apply extra plucking force.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Here is my 2/3 of the month submission:
Ferdinando CARULLI ANDANTINO

Youtube

(sorry for the background noise, not sure where it came from....)

Matteo CARCASSI SAUTEUSE opus 59

Youtube

This one was really difficult to play with all necessary mutes. And still there are mistakes.

I spent ~6 hours working on these pieces.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:17 am

Here is the 3rd part of the submission.
Delcamp SLURS (page 78 number 19)

Youtube

It was very difficult for me to control an even tempo: sometimes the finger did not want to pull off because of the callus catching the string.
It was also necessary to do RH mutes with the 'a' finger when moving to a new string.
What I learned today is that after hammering on and before pulling off it is better to reduce the pressure on the string as much as possible. That makes it easier to produce better sound.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:39 am

Your submissions sound very good to me. I could not find anything wrong. It's amazing that you can memorize the music and play up to speed in that short amount of time.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Your submissions sound very good to me. I could not find anything wrong. It's amazing that you can memorize the music and play up to speed in that short amount of time.
Thank you, Chu!
There were soooo many repetitions! It gets memorized naturally. But in fact that's just muscle or mechanical memory, I don't remember any notes.

I just checked out my time tracking report, it says ~7 hours, not 6. I practiced 10 days.
Here is the report:
The program I use is a free (and ads-free!) Android app called Gleeo Time Tracker
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:25 pm

That's a cool app. I'll need to try it. If you take out the time for the "slurs", it would be 6 hours at your first post.
I think playing music is muscle memory for most beginners, but mine needs clues from the music sheet. It's a big problem when I try to play more difficult pieces and have to take my eyes of the sheet to look at my fretting hand.

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:58 am

Thanks for watching/input :wink:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Edna Lopez

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 am

Edna,

Well done. I think you've improved a lot since the first lesson. You may want to pay attention to your plucking hand when playing double notes with i+m or m+a (eg. third measure in SAUTEUSE. Btw, there seems to be a couple of wrong notes in the same piece). Try to avoid pulling from the wrist. Watch the prof's clips. His plucking hand "hovered" around to position the fingers at the right place, but the plucking was exclusively from the knuckles and finger joints.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:43 am

Hi Edna,

I also noticed great improvement!
Cordoba C9

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Edna,

Well done. I think you've improved a lot since the first lesson. You may want to pay attention to your plucking hand when playing double notes with i+m or m+a (eg. third measure in SAUTEUSE. Btw, there seems to be a couple of wrong notes in the same piece). Try to avoid pulling from the wrist. Watch the prof's clips. His plucking hand "hovered" around to position the fingers at the right place, but the plucking was exclusively from the knuckles and finger joints.

Thx Chu. To much detail in Classical guitar pieces...more variables than I can handle... exercises should improve the wrist moving...I havent done it enough.
and yes, i played a few wrong notes on both pieces...I was tired of recording them; The video recording part of the lesson is the most time consuming task for me, sometimes it seems as if i spend more time recording than learning the songs :chaud:
Chu, the sound of your videos is sharp...what equipment you use to record them? ( I use an ipad, but the sound is not as clear).

Your pieces are always well played...!
Edna Lopez

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”