D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:14 am

Bert Stendahl wrote:This damping thing, have classical guitar players always done that or is it a new thing?
I know someone who was taught damping in the 50s and his teacher had been taught it. I think it goes way back, but for some reason few teaching books include it. Do they think it too hard for beginners?

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:16 am

I remember seeing in one of these master class videos on Youtube Julian Bream telling a student that he needed to damp an open string. The video is in black and white, so as Colin said, damping is nothing new. JB seemed to be really bothered that the student left the string ringing. My guess is that to trained ears, the undamped sound is totally out of place. As said earlier, that's my problem with damping, I cant hear anything wrong with let the string ringing. Regarding why most teaching books don't mention damping, I have no idea.

Laertes

Post by Laertes » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:39 pm

I think that most books don't mention it because the score already shows the duration of the notes, so you have to let the notes ring just for that duration, damping open strings or releasing the fretting finger otherwise. It is implicit in it.

Open strings ringing when they shouldn't sometimes is just anoying and sometimes it can sound pretty awful but always is not what the score is telling you to play.

One particular case, even if it does not apply to this forum, is an electric guitar with high gain setting on the amp. If not properly damped (or muted as it is called in the electric guitar world) you have a lot of unwanted, loud, horrible noises.

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:10 pm

Here are my submissions:
Improvisation

Youtube

No 10 opus 33 GIULIANI

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Nathanael Benassi wrote:Here are my submissions:
Improvisation

Youtube

No 10 opus 33 GIULIANI

Youtube
Hi Nathan,
Improvisation: rich and elaborate. Nice tune!
No 10 opus 33 GIULIANI: sounds great, but I'm a bit concerned by the way you mute bass strings with you wrist... I think that may limit the RH capabilities.
Cordoba C9

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks Andrei, I think the wrist muting may be a sorry if palm muting carryover from electric guitar and I'll need to work on that.

Speaking of damping strings is it 'ok' to use the side of the thumb for damping or only the pad?

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:22 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:lesson 7 :D
If you can play the Ecossaise at that speed with only a few hesitations it should sound really solid just a notch slower. Well done.

Do you know a way to play mp3 on iPad??
Im having same issue....cant hear the mp3s of the games ! ...if you find out how to do it, pls shoot me an email.
Edna Lopez

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:22 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my Improvisation study assignment video link. :)

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:37 am

Hi,Edna Lopez,
Problem listening mp3 audio.
1.Right click the mp3 file you want to listen at forum site.Drop down will appear allowing you for few options.Choose "save as" and save it on your desktop with name which you can identify after saving.
2.I use "Audacity" free program for mp3 audio file for listening and editing.
Hope you will be able to succeed.Let me know after these steps.

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Nice work Zafar. Very beautiful melody!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi, Nathanael Benassi,
Thanks,
you, liked Improvisation pattern.
I watched your assignments the day you posted.
Good improvement.
Guitar sound quality also improved.Keep it up.Just get ready for exam.I may not meet my D02, 7 mandatory exam qualification lessons submission this year.Although I did practice each of those assignments but fail to record it in time.

In archive for lesson 8,2015,Marko provided a link for exam preparation.I just copied and pasting it here for all classmates for their viewing. :)
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=94736

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:09 am

Nathanael Benassi wrote:Thanks Andrei, I think the wrist muting may be a sorry if palm muting carryover from electric guitar and I'll need to work on that.

Speaking of damping strings is it 'ok' to use the side of the thumb for damping or only the pad?
Cool, so you have electric guitar background?
Personally I think it is ok to use the side or even the upper side of the thumb for damping. Just make sure it is independent and does not affect the freedom of other fingers.
Here is a beautiful piece (Por Una Cabeza from Scent of a Woman arranged by Maksim Chigintsev), watch closely how damping is done (by the upper side):
Search youtube for: Por Una Cabeza Maxim Chigintsev

[BTW, can I provide links to Youtube videos like that one?]
Cordoba C9

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:28 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:[BTW, can I provide links to Youtube videos like that one?]
I'm afraid not, Andrei. See "What recordings can I post in lesson topics?" entry under FAQs topic. What you can do is to provide a search phrase, similarly as I have modified your post above.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Classmates,
Here is my Improvisation study assignment video link. :)

Youtube
Hi Zafar, that's a very nice improvisation! The only minor thing: it's hard to follow the rhythmic pattern towards the end.
Thanks for great audio and video quality!
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Thanks,
I added pull off and slide effects in Improvisation assignment. The part, sliding from high "g" note 3rd fret string 1 to "a" note 5th fret string 1 is not strong enough for listening purpose.After "a" it ends on"b" note, 7 fret,string 1.I suppose to continue another two more measures to conclude the piece.
I want to write and inform all classmates, what difficulty I have with the recordings.
I use window 10 for audio video recordings.The user friendly encoder 9 provided by microsoft is good for window 7.When I record any assignment it is mostly corrupted. It discourages me.This is one of the reason, I fail to submit my monthly assignments.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”