D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
CarlWestman

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:29 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:I couldn't find it, even in my 1863 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary.
:shock:
There are those who fancy themselves old school, and then there's Rick.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Eric de Vries wrote:Rick, if you can't play it faster at the moment, of course that's OK. Better slow than sloppy!
Sorry about the word intavolation. I was mixing English and Italian. What I meant was: "Intabulation, from the Italian word intavolatura, refers to an arrangement of a vocal or ensemble piece for keyboard, lute, or other plucked string instrument, written in tablature."
Preview of my background information for lesson 10 (D05): "Se io m'accorgo ben mio d'un altro amante" was a popular song that was sung by a vocalist and accompanied by one or more instruments. This version is an orchestration for the lute. It's from a manuscript from the 16th century with a collection of lute pieces, acquired and transcribed by Oscar Chilesotti.
The title means something like: "If I find out that my sweetheart has another lover..."
Intabulation was the word that kept popping up in google translate. Thanks. By the way I find your little background on each piece very helpful and a nice complement to JFD's performance notes. NOTE TO MODS: would there be a way to compile these and make them easier to view in the future?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:33 pm

CarlWestman wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:I couldn't find it, even in my 1863 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary.
:shock:
There are those who fancy themselves old school, and then there's Rick.
:D
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:37 am

Here's Lockvogel. I'm not a fan of the piece - or Strauss or most valses on guitar - so unless it is assigned as our exam piece, I think I will retire it for now.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Hey rick, good job esp on that second part of Strauss. You found some rhythm which was working. I'm still searching for a way to get my fingers in a rhythm on that piece. It's very strange. The first part, I'm doing better on ... my main issue with the first part is muting the bass when needed.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Hey rick, good job esp on that second part of Strauss. You found some rhythm which was working. I'm still searching for a way to get my fingers in a rhythm on that piece. It's very strange. The first part, I'm doing better on ... my main issue with the first part is muting the bass when needed.
:merci:
I had to listen to the demo numerous times to get the melody and rhythm in my brain, then get my fingers to follow suit. Take it a measure or two at a time.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 am

Hello out there! :cornet:

I worked hard on this one, though it wasn't assigned. I've always wanted to play Bach. I found that when I work on this piece, the time just passes. Anyway, here it is. I need a lot more practice to make it presentable.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 am

Hi Rick,
Your hard work has payed out!
You make your Solidarity really sing. Your phrasing shows that you heard the piece many, many times before (on cello?).
Of course it's also a matter of bringing in more speed (which time will do), but be carefull to play it as a minuet i.e. light, a bit cheerfull.

BTW In D05 there will be more Bach, mandatory.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:15 am

nicely done Rick! That's a record-breaking long piece for you, isn't it? Wow.

I should post this lesson later today & get ready to move on. I think after today I need to do one more lesson to qualify. Have you heard anything about registering over at the spanish forum (for D04), or have you been there all along? My registration is expired, so I'll have to renew.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 8. I welcome your feedback. In particular, I had some trouble with the strings sticking to my fingers (which were clean!). I usually experience this when the strings are old and ready to be changed, but I had just changed these. Perhaps there's some moisturizer in our soaps, lotions, hand sanitizer, etc. Not sure what it was, but I could not lift my fingers off the strings cleanly at times. Isn't there a product (for electric/steel string) that cleans the strings and makes them more slick? I wonder if that world work for nylon strings. Any advice in this regard is welcomed.

Youtube

Youtube

I got a modestly cleaner take for Mi Favorita without the video running. I've appended it to my video one with a still screenshot running through it. By this time I was a bit annoyed with my thumbnail catching on the bass string regularly, and I had gone and trimmed all of them. So it has a somewhat different tone, but I think I had fewer flubs, so I include it too.

Strauss - well, as I said, I really could never get the entire second half rhythm down. Just a couple small sections of it, but that was it.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Eric de Vries wrote:Hi Rick,
Your hard work has payed out!
You make your Solidarity really sing. Your phrasing shows that you heard the piece many, many times before (on cello?).
Of course it's also a matter of bringing in more speed (which time will do), but be carefull to play it as a minuet i.e. light, a bit cheerfull.

BTW In D05 there will be more Bach, mandatory.
Thank you Erik. You are very perceptive. I listened to many renditions of the Minuets, especially Yo Yo Ma's version. I love how the guitar can somewhat mimic the sound of the cello, and maybe even works better. Thanks for the reminder that this is a dance and should be played somewhat lively. Especially the A part can sound a bit somber and tend to being played too slowly. But I am still quite uncertain, especialy with the recorder running, so I chose to play it more deliberately.
CarlWestman wrote:nicely done Rick! That's a record-breaking long piece for you, isn't it? Wow.

I should post this lesson later today & get ready to move on. I think after today I need to do one more lesson to qualify. Have you heard anything about registering over at the spanish forum (for D04), or have you been there all along? My registration is expired, so I'll have to renew.
Yes, a personal best for length. I tried a new method for learning this piece and preparing for recording that I heard somewhere: 10 in a row. I play a section or phrase 10 times in a row. If I make a mistake, I stop and start again at 1. When I get to 10 times played perfectly, I pretty well know it and the muscle memory kicks in. Of course I end up playing it mayby 70 times to get 10 in a row. Then on to another section until I can play the whole piece 10 in a row. Reminds me of a quote I heard: Amateurs practice it till they get it right. Pros practice till they can't get it wrong.

Thanks for asking about registration. I was popping in and posting to the Spanish forum for a while this year when things grew quiet here, till the google translation just broke down and got frustrating. So I am registered and cleared for the final.

I'm gonna listen to your pieces now and provide some feedback. Good luck with the final. Hope its one you didn't skip and have to start from scratch!!
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Carl,

Nice job hanging in there on this lesson. Here are a few observations.

Your tempo on Mi Favorita was nice. There were a few spots where you added an extra beat to some notes. For example, in M8, the last 8th note E you play as a quarter note. Similarly in other spots, so I don't think it was a flub but a mis-reading. Also, practice more the beginning of the B section in measure 23 and 27 to get it smoother. It's not that tough but takes a little practice. One last suggestion: try practicing the piece a little more slowly and with more legato less staccato. Once you get that down then increase the tempo.

Now I understand your issues with the rhythm on the B section of the Strauss. You are playing the trills with the base note incorrectly. Look at measure 21. The way it is written is the 16th C-D are played and the C and dotted half bass note are played together. But that's not how it should be played (I know this from piano lessons 50 years ago). You play the bass note D with the FIRST C in the trill. If you listen to JFD play it you will see what I mean. Once you get this down the rhythm should come to you easier. One other observation: in measure 17 and 18 the chords are quarter notes ( 1-2-rest, 1-2-Rest) and I think you play them as 8th notes, a little rushed. Hope this helps. I think it is worth going back and trying to get that rhythm correct for future progress.

Cheers!
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:50 pm

Thank you x1000 Rick! Wow, your feedback is super helpful and really detailed. I swear, many of my mistakes tend to be mistakes in reading the sheet music.

Regarding Mi Favorita, M8, that last 8th note, yes, I hear it now with the JFD example. I wonder if I started playing it slower because of the need to slide the LH back down toward the headstock, and I never sped it up later. Hmm. As for M23, M27, I could never get that up to speed. I'll try slowing down that section again and see if I can follow at 50% tempo. It's just awfully fast for these hands.

So Strauss. You are right! I was playing it as if there was a eighth rest before the bass note, because of the bass note being positioned under the quarter note, after those sixteenth notes. I wonder why it wasn't positioned further to the left, under those sixteenth notes. Anyway yeah, I made it harder than it was, in a sense.

Again, many thanks for the helpful feedback.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat May 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Mi Favorita

Youtube

:roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat May 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Excellent Haris. You had a couple minor rhythm issues in Mi Favorita I think. I need to sit down with the score to confirm and explain. Either that or I've been playing it wrong. But this is worthy of submittal.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”