2016 Exam Discussion

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Re: 2016 Exam Discussion

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 am

hello !

The results of the D02 group of students arrived here.

And D05 there

Bravo à tous les élèves !

:delcamp_fiesta:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu May 26, 2016 10:41 am

Hi, Isabelle Frizac ,Exam moderator,
Thank you for watching my D01,D02 exam pieces and awarding a diploma.I feel happy and felt sense of achievement after year long study practice,learning etc.
Is it possible to add your comments about exam piece? What were my mistakes and what are the areas, I have to improve myself better?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri May 27, 2016 6:41 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Isabelle Frizac ,Exam moderator,
Thank you for watching my D01,D02 exam pieces and awarding a diploma.I feel happy and felt sense of achievement after year long study practice,learning etc.
Zafar
Since we started D01 together your progress has been considerable. You deserve to feel a real sense of achievement given all the hard work you put in.
Congratulations
Colin

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat May 28, 2016 4:44 am

Is it possible to add your comments about exam piece? What were my mistakes and what are the areas, I have to improve myself better?
Hi Zafar, your basic technique fundamentals are improving, it can take a little patience and persistence to get the fingers and hands trained to move in the various coordinated movements smoothly.

Isabella can be more active on the french forum, but she does occasionally post on the english and spanish forums, she will likely not have seen your question for her. A PM may be helpful.

The Volte piece is a rest-stroke and damping oriented polyphonic piece.

There are some really good exercises/pieces from the first few lessons of D01 and D02 that are great for developing rest-stroke, free-stroke, damping and polyphony skills.

One could take a few of those pieces, but spend extra time with them until developing a snappy/powerful rest stroke, confident free-stroke, and smooth transitions when moving measure to measure.

Re: Rest Stroke
Watch closely to how Prof. Delcamp's rest-stroke snaps through the string it strikes, then comes to rest on the adjacent string in many of those videos. In many cases you will notice the adjacent/rest string move quite a bit as he snaps through with force on the plucked string and and then comes to rest on the adjacent string.

No need to worry about the faster tempo, the mechanics and precision is more important to develop/train the fingers.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat May 28, 2016 7:49 am

Dear mister Zafar Haq,

Work exercises Mr Delcamp, helping you videos and comments from students of your level.
John Montes gives you good advice.

cordially,

I.Frizac
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat May 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello,Isabella,John Montes,
Thanks for your analysis,advice.I will practice to smooth out this hand finger coordination skills for smooth transition over the neck and right hand.I will revisit VOLT exam piece and record it for my own analysis.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun May 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:.I will practice to smooth out this hand finger coordination skills for smooth transition over the neck and right hand.
Zafar
I've listened to your D02 exam piece and noticed that one thing that prevents smooth transitions is when you look towards your right hand. It leads to a hesitation.
Probably worth practicing those points in the piece without looking down, get the hands to feel where the strings are without having to look.
I'll try to be online over the summer if you want to post any practice pieces and chat.
Have a good holiday
Colin

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun May 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi, Colin Bullock,
Thanks for your continuous support and encouragement.I'll be around during 2016 summer and my plan is to revisit D02 study assignments beginning Lesson 1 and re record them one by one.Just to inform you,first study assignment is "OH SUSANNA" in my plan.
Regarding looking at strings causing hesitation instead of looking at music sheet is a task I have to overcome and improve.
Just to share some of my lighter moments when preparing D02 exam piece EJERCICIO.
Chu Bun indicated in his comments that what need to be fixed before submitting it as exam piece.I agree his comments and started recording and caring those comments.During my recording strong winds,rain,hail storm noise stopped me to continue.
After several days of waiting to subside the noise I sat again with determination.As soon I pushed the record button, the civilian passenger jet aircrafts passing over my head for landing one after another gap of minute or few seconds.In between jet noises, the grass cutting machine noises,bird chirpping over near by trees,some one was cutting some metal sheet,some children basket ball and football sounds,roller blades,car horns,my cat pet asking food with loud meawing next to my close door.It may look excuses.If you notice I was able to record my exam piece on the official first day to submit deadline. My hesitation was due to noise which I thought may pollute my recording, but I, continue to record the remaining piece with out hesitation.End of my true story.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun May 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:......I'll be around during 2016 summer and my plan is to revisit D02 study assignments beginning Lesson 1 and re record them one by one.

...............End of my true story.
Full marks for perseverance in recording despite the difficulties!!

I'm also going to revisit D02, but for the exercises and pieces I had to skim over due to lack of time.
If you repost your pieces I'll look at them when I'm around
All the best
Colin

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Mon May 30, 2016 8:26 am

Hi Zafar

It's really difficult for you to make a record, but your perseverance is worthy of our learning.
And I watch your video,it's hesitated for you to pluck the string,I think maybe you must familar with the notes in the score,the location in the guitar, the right hand fingers you used.shorten the thinking time, don't be afarid of pluck wrong strings, or to make mistake, use you ear, if wrong, play it again, and trust youself, I think you can get more progress.
I'm glad to have a calssmate like you, you always explain a lot for the song, give us some useful videos.
Thank you very much! :merci:

Have a good summer!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon May 30, 2016 11:26 am

Hi,Angela Zhao,
Thanks,
Your advice is valuable to me.At the very begining you advice me to keep my right hand away from sound hole.I felt less tension in my right hand following your advice.
I choose few pieces for you and any other student want to try.I will post the link at students corner.Just check it out. :)

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue May 31, 2016 12:40 am

Kudos to the D03 & D04 online students that were able to participate in the final set of exams this week, nice job :bravo:
:guitare: :applauso:
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Hello !

The results of the D03-D04 and D07 group of students arrived !

:bravo:

:delcamp_ cool:
keep hope !

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi,Angela Zhao,
Thanks,
Your advice is valuable to me.At the very begining you advice me to keep my right hand away from sound hole.I felt less tension in my right hand following your advice.
Zafar
One thing I find useful is to think of guide fingers for RH as well as LH.
For Example on D02 exam piece where the first section ends on the chord 4th, 2nd, 1st string, when finishing the notes I damp the 4, 3, 2 ,1 strings with pima this puts my fingers in position to start the second section whithout ever having to look at my RH. As Angela says, the more you you practice not looking at the strings the more the fingers will develop the sense of place.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi,Colin Bullock,
Thanks,
After reading your suggestion,I pulled out D02 exam piece from my folder.I was looking at the music sheet and thinking, is this the piece I submitted for exam.?.All washed away so fast from my mind.Felt like a difficult music piece holding in my hand.Forgot melody etc.I will try your suggestion of damping and re record it to avoid hesitation.
In student corner I posted a Gaspar Sanz music link.If you are interested just visit and tell what you think of Summer practice outside of our assignments.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”