D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue May 24, 2016 9:37 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
page 123 Delcamp, Jean-François Mordants et Trilles, numéros 38 et 39

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 5 pieces.
- page 18, 19 Adrian Le Roy Premier branle de Bourgongne
Each phrase is followed by its division. The first phrase and its division each consist of 4 bars. After that, the structure of phrases and their divisions is of 6 bars, to the end of the piece.

Youtube

- pages 80, 81 Losy, Jan Antonín – Ciacona sobre las Folias
Page 80 - I have adapted for the guitar the original tablature of this chaconne for mandore. Page 81 - I suggest an ornamentation the elements of which came from a recording made last month with a baroque guitar.

Youtube

Melodic ornaments are the addition of neighbouring notes, before or after the original notes. These additions are formed at an interval of a major or minor second (depending on the key of the piece) above or below the original note. Note that these same neighbouring notes are used in mordents, turns, appoggiaturas, acciaccaturas and trills. Neighbouring or conjunct notes are the basis of ornamentation, to be fitted in between the original notes while taking great care not to distort the tempo. As there are limits to the maximum playing speed that we can achieve, we would put more ornamentation in a slow passage than in a fast one. For the same reason we would ornament long notes more than short ones in the same piece.
As far as rhythm is concerned, the crucial thing is to maintain the tempo and accentuation throughout. When we first start to improvise ornaments, we often tend to distort the tempo unintentionally. But don't worry, if you persist and, above all, if you improvise an ornamentation while counting the beat out loud (1 and 2 and 3 and), you will be pleasantly surprised to find you make fewer and fewer mistakes. There are also metronomes which you can set so that one in every 3 beats or in every 4 beats has a distinctive sound, as a marker of the first beat of the bar in 3 or 4 time.
At the start of the chaconne, the first two 8-bar phrases are made up principally of chords, and lend themselves well to strumming. I also introduce a few percussive effects, to add zest to the rhythm. This sort of rhythmic improvisation can be a very pleasant way to practise improvising while concentrating particularly on keeping to the beat.

Youtube

:idea: :casque: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=68922

- page 77 Paganini, Niccolò Ghiribizzo n°37
This piece has great simplicity, and the bass notes (tonic, subdominant and dominant) are unobtrusive. Paganini indicates: "Adagetto con espressione". It is through phrasing, articulation and accentuation that we can be expressive.

Youtube

- page 84,85 Johann Kaspar Mertz Valse en sol majeur,
here the rhythm is the main element, and it is by reproducing the accents and articulation indicated (legato, staccato) that the valse will become lively and light.

Youtube

- page 48 Štepán Rak - Nostalgický valcik
This waltz was generously made available, on FaceBook, by Štepán Rak, on March 8th 2012.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- pages 80, 81 Losy, Jan Antonín – Ciacona sobre las Folias
- page 48 Štepán Rak - Nostalgický valcik

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Carl Westman, John Montes, Rich (oski79), Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François

Exam qualifying submissions:

Rick Beauregard
Losy, Jan Antonín – Ciacona sobre las Folias
Štepán Rak - Nostalgický valcik
:( + ♫ = :)

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 am

Hi. If anyone is out there, can you give some more guidance on how to interpret the ornaments and symbols in the Losy chaconne? Does the little half parenthesis mean a little trill? Is it played left handed only or with right hand two string?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:36 am

This lovely piece is not hard to learn, though my rendition is not quite as nice as Marko's from last year. I think I'll keep working on it and add it to my rep. THANK YOU STEPAN!

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:22 am

Good job, Rick :bravo: When you manage to increase the overall tempo, that will enable more expression via the use or more dramatic decelerando & accelerando, and more flowing melodic line.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Question on the Losy Chaconne: I've listened to another Losy Chaconne on lute, and there is no attempt to dampen the basses on the lute, especially on those 11 course instruments. My question is, is it considered acceptable or even correct in these baroque lute pieces to let basses ring?
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

abel

Post by abel » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi Rick;
congratulations.
bye

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Here is an attempt at the Losy Ciacona. That finishes the required pieces for lesson 10 and the entire course. I managed this year to submit all the required pieces and a few additional ones. I am working on the Le Roy Premier Branle and a little on the Mertz. I may record these later as well. Of this lesson pieces I like the Nostalgicky and the Branle best and may add both to my repertoire.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Hi. If anyone is out there, can you give some more guidance on how to interpret the ornaments and symbols in the Losy chaconne? Does the little half parenthesis mean a little trill? Is it played left handed only or with right hand two string?
Rick
did you find an answer to this?

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:45 pm

No one responded, but I think I figured them out from listening to JFD's example.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:No one responded, but I think I figured them out from listening to JFD's example.
I've managed to find a reference to the sign which says it is a baroque symbol for a mordent.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Aha! I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the lesson or by any of last years students, or I just missed it. Thanks for clearing it up.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Oh and thanks for taking on the mod role!
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 am

Good detective work, Colin! I skipped that piece last year when I was doing D04. However 3 years ago when I first studied D04, I did study that piece, and also wondered about the meaning of those parenthesis, but in the end I just played them as regular notes. I guess I should have listened to M. Delcamp's recording more closely :)
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”