D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:19 am

You're right, Nelson. Mr. Delcamp's version is more emotional and please to listen. I'll remember your recommendations and practice to listen more.

Thank you Salvatore for your advice. It's very helpful.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Binh and Nelson,

Yes, Nelson says it nicely. I would only add this. Imagine you are alone with someone you love very much, but you are afraid to tell them. They ask you to play your guitar for them. Now tell them, with your guitar, how much you love them AND how much pain you feel because you can't bring yourself to say the words I love you.

Google translate: Có, Nelson nói rằng nó độc đáo. Tôi sẽ chỉ thêm này. Hãy tưởng tượng bạn đang ở một mình với người bạn yêu thương rất nhiều, nhưng bạn sợ nói cho họ biết. Họ yêu cầu bạn để chơi guitar của bạn cho họ. Bây giờ nói với họ, với guitar của bạn, bao nhiêu bạn yêu thương họ và bạn cảm thấy bao nhiêu nỗi đau bởi vì bạn không thể mang lại cho mình để nói những lời tôi yêu bạn.

Sal

PS do you guys do anything special when using emoticons other than dragging and dropping?

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:00 am

Awwww so romantic, especially when Valentine day nearby. Well you must be an emotional guy. Do you write poem or story? Love to see your work. Thanks for the tip Salvatore. :D

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Thank you Binh,

Was I little too saccharine (artificially sweet) in my response to you? I think I was.

Here is my Andantino. Yes Jenny, that is my pet bird in the background.

Sal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am

Here is my recording of Sauteuse. My thumb creeps up to the top of the neck at times. I noticed this after watching the video.

Youtube
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:33 am

Jenni Gribble wrote: My thumb creeps up to the top of the neck at times. I noticed this after watching the video.
Jenni
The video shows your guitar at about 45°which means to keep your wrist straight the thumb will naturally creep round the neck. If you can play with the guitar more vertical that should help and put less strain on the wrist.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Dear classmates,

Here are my recordings for Lesson 6. Thanks for listening - I value your feedback.
Best,
Jonathan
ligados_19.mp3
ANDANTINO.mp3
SAUTEUSE_3.mp3
PS Yes, I lost the plot a bit at the endof that Sauteuse, but it was such fun, I enjoyed learning any piece so much! :bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello David, I am listening to you playing, and I have a thought to share with you. Firstly, thank you for taking the trouble to make such clear videos of your work, this in itself is interesting and I am learning from a close scrutiny of other players' movements. I seem to think that you are a learner who has started again from scratch, having already attained some level of proficiency in music. This thought comes from your tendency to improvise instead of stalling, as you play.
I note that you are having trouble using the annular fingering pluck the strings, and fall instead on your familiar "i,m,i..." walking routine. There are a number of exercises we've covered, as well as many of the earlier pieces that can help to stabilize the muscles in your ring finger I think. Also, your plucking hand looks very straight at the wrist; a position which, as I am discovering, may not ultimately aid one's efforts to play with total clarity. One other point about this, is to try and practise with a real feel for the beat.
Such pieces include the "Danse d'Avila" (Lesson 1) and the deceptively easy "VALSE" (from Lesson 4), as well as the Delcamp scales with alternating "a,m,a,m.." and curiously, some but not all of the damping examples.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Sal,
I have a few comments about your ANDANTINO, mostly regarding interpretation but there is a crossover also, between matters technical and matters musical so please forgive me my blunders.
Here we go. I like the way you make the piece your own, and pull the rhythm around much as a baker might knead a ball of dough. But, I think you play it overall too fast. Listening to your rendition it occurred to me that there are a few 'nodal' moments in the piece that define how fast, for a given player it can be played and these more or less correspond to the boxes highlighted in yellow for our learning method, thus: The end of measure 2, the end of measure 6 and in your case also, the end of measure 12. My sense is that in those little leading notes it's OK to slow down, but you have to make up again by starting the next bar bang on time. And after bar 12, the middle C in bar 13 also has to be on the beat. When I was learning this piece I struggled with the end of measure 12, until I came up with a fingering that allows smooth transition to measure 13.
Finally, and this is probably more about personal preference, you change your mode of playing from the 13th measure to the end of the piece; from something smooth and relaxing, to some high-jinx cha-cha-cha or whatever. Basically the ANDANTINO as is, is too short to have that kind of coda; but I think you may be misreading the score? :?:
Oh finally, I really, really like the way that some of those individual notes are 'placed' ... and reverberate, through time and space.... :bye:

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Jenni Gribble wrote: My thumb creeps up to the top of the neck at times. I noticed this after watching the video.
Jenni
The video shows your guitar at about 45°which means to keep your wrist straight the thumb will naturally creep round the neck. If you can play with the guitar more vertical that should help and put less strain on the wrist.
This whole posture business, can be quite difficult. Jenni, you and me both tend to 'flare' the guitar out; Segovia recommends 'tucking it in' (not his words) so as to say, the plane surfaces of the body of your instrument are nearly perpendicular.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Binh,
When you play and everyone thinks it sound and good; but people frustrate you because they think you are not playing with feeling; Fear Not! There is a set of techniques especially for the guitar, that will amplify the feeling aspect of your playing. Please try damping.
To get the feel for it, may I recommend listening to some of the recordings of early music as published on this forum. In some, you almost hear another piece going on in a strange key, simultaneously with the main tune. At first I didn't like it, but now I just love it. (Or to be more truthful - at first I didn't like it and criticized internally, but now I hardly notice it, and miss the novelty of those strange resonances)

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:Thank you Binh,

Was I little too saccharine (artificially sweet) in my response to you? I think I was.

Here is my Andantino. Yes Jenny, that is my pet bird in the background.

Sal

Good job Sal :D, here's my criticism:
You have problem with rhythm. In music, rhythm is the most important thing. You can play wrong notes but the rhythm is steady, you're good. After we have a good sense of rhythm, then we can learn to play rubato, musically.

I recommend you to practice with a metronome at slow tempo, or count out loud ,tap your foot, move your body or head with beat. Find any method that suits you to keep the beat steady.

P/s : the tempo of the whole song is the tempo of the most difficult measure/ bar. You can't play fast in easy bars and then slow down in difficult bars. By doing that, the rhythm is not steady, thus makes the song sounds bad.

Best regrads, Binh.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Jonathan Lamb wrote:Binh,
When you play and everyone thinks it sound and good; but people frustrate you because they think you are not playing with feeling; Fear Not! There is a set of techniques especially for the guitar, that will amplify the feeling aspect of your playing. Please try damping.
To get the feel for it, may I recommend listening to some of the recordings of early music as published on this forum. In some, you almost hear another piece going on in a strange key, simultaneously with the main tune. At first I didn't like it, but now I just love it. (Or to be more truthful - at first I didn't like it and criticized internally, but now I hardly notice it, and miss the novelty of those strange resonances)
Thanks Jonathan, I always find the positive in your comments. You make everyone happy and that's gift. You give warm energy to others, so everyone feels like sitting near the fire work in the winter.

About your feedback " There is a set of techniques especially for the guitar, that will amplify the feeling aspect of your playing " . What are these techniques? Could you elaborate more?

To get the feel for it, may I recommend listening to some of the recordings of early music as published on this forum.

Could you give me the link to these songs or keywords so I can search for them. Thanks

Oh about your song, my criticism is to practice hard sections / bars and keep the beat steady.

Good job Jonathan :casque:

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:51 pm

You have problem with rhythm. In music, rhythm is the most important thing. You can play wrong notes but the rhythm is steady, you're good. After we have a good sense of rhythm, then we can learn to play rubato, musically.
Thanks for listening Binh. I have to disagree with your assessment on "rhythm". By definition rubato changes the rhythm. Rubato literally means stolen as in stolen time in music. One slows the rhythm and may or may not catch up later. Playing the Andantino with a straight rhythm and beat is not only boring it's not musical. I suggest you set up a metronome or just count in your head to the maestro's sample. Maybe I was a bit too emotional in my playing.
P/s : the tempo of the whole song is the tempo of the most difficult measure/ bar. You can't play fast in easy bars and then slow down in difficult bars. By doing that, the rhythm is not steady, thus makes the song sounds bad.
I have to disagree again. Music is an interpretation. While some rules need to followed others can be "interpreted". This was my interpretation of the Andantino. We obviously have different styles in that you play strictly as written and I take more license when playing.

The musical sketch that is sheet music is just that. It reminds us of what we need play but not how to play it. The how to play it part comes from being human.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 pm

This whole posture business, can be quite difficult. Jenni, you and me both tend to 'flare' the guitar out; Segovia recommends 'tucking it in' (not his words) so as to say, the plane surfaces of the body of your instrument are nearly perpendicular.
Yes, I do flare the guitar out, and I know better. Flaring it out helps steady my right hand, which I have problems with. I will work on it. Does anyone use a support for their guitar, like Maestro does?
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”