Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
David

Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Post by David » Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 am

When I began learning the guitar - sometime last century - my teacher introduced me to Segovia's scales for Guitar (Diatonic Major and Minor Scales by Andres Segovia, © Columbia Music Company). Basically we started at the first scale, C Major and worked our way through the book to the 24th, D minor.

Along the way, he taught me that there were various patterns to the LH fingering. So for instance, if you knew the fingering to C Major, this could be applied to D Major, D♭ Major & E♭ Major. To help my practise, I generated a Scale Practise Sheet (attached). This is a single page that includes all 24 scales in order, the relative LH fingering patterns and the sharps and flats in each scale. NB I've also attached a colour version, to help highlight the different patterns.

It dawned on me last year that learning the scales could be made easier by focusing on the patterns themselves. 19 of the scales in the Segovia book can be played with just four patterns! So I've written a guide to learning the scales by using these patterns (also attached).

Let me know what you think.

Some closing remarks:

* Thank you to Thea A Smith, President of Columbia Music Company for allowing me to republish some of the Segovia Scales here at Delcamp.
* Thank you also to the Mods who checked the copyright issues and allowed publication here.
* Please do not republish these guides on other sites or places without contacting me first (this is related to the first two points).
* If you spot any mistakes, please let me know so that I can correct them.
* Finally, this thread is not meant for discussing the value of Segovia's Scales. This has been done in other threads, so please just search for them.
Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach.pdf
Segovia scale fret maps.pdf
Segovia Scales Practise Sheet - colour.pdf
Segovia Scales Practise Sheet.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrupted files replaced
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

gemelo

Re: Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Post by gemelo » Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Kampret,

Thank you very much for posting this. This is a great way to see and learn the scales. It will save lots of time to students and will help players, at any level, to understand the scales better.

Great work! :merci:

gemelo

wianno

Post by wianno » Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Kampret,

I have these patterns and others (across the fretboard) solidly committed to memory after having learned the Segovia scales some time ago and practiced them daily. Segovia gave us the fingering, the patterns materialize in time. You present a short cut. I hesitate at the thought of giving a student (I'm not a teacher) patterns as a scale learning device because it actually may inhibit learning of the note positions. How do or would you deal with this?

Now I'll contradict what I just said by preaching the need for classical guitarists to begin to memorize chord patterns at an early stage of development. The idea of movable chord patterns, say as presented by Bill Edwards in his Fretboard Logic publication, is in my opinion very important to the student guitarist, not only for execution but also for learning harmony. What are your thoughts about this?

Jack

Tiago

Post by Tiago » Mon May 23, 2011 7:59 pm

wianno wrote:Now I'll contradict what I just said by preaching the need for classical guitarists to begin to memorize chord patterns at an early stage of development. The idea of movable chord patterns, say as presented by Bill Edwards in his Fretboard Logic publication, is in my opinion very important to the student guitarist, not only for execution but also for learning harmony. What are your thoughts about this?
Memorizing chord patterns doesn't seem the best approach to me. I think it won't hurt to teach guitar students at least the most fundamentals of harmony on the guitar. It's not rocket science, their brains won't blow up.

By fundamentals I mean scales without open notes so that we can transpose them very easily. Basically 2 or 3 fingering patterns allow us to play a scale in any key in any position of the fretboard with any number of octaves. (Including obviously the Segovia scales)

Intervals. Thirds, Sixths and fifths. Then scales in those intervals.

Finally, how to build triads and then the "Gran Chord" as Sor calls it, which are the chord shapes that we recognize. This immediately render useless every single chord chart.

This is the very least.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks Kampret

I have "fretboard roadmaps" which uses a similar patterns technique to introduce scales it's not really aimed at "Classical" players but I have found it very useful.
I would like to see the Segovia scale patterns on a fretboard graphice similar to those used in the book.

Ted O'Farrell

Post by Ted O'Farrell » Sun May 29, 2011 2:29 am

Thanks for sharing these scales!
Hector Marrero 2001
"A Good Cup of Coffee"

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Andres Segovia

David

Post by David » Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 am

RichardJ wrote:Thanks Kampret

I have "fretboard roadmaps" which uses a similar patterns technique to introduce scales it's not really aimed at "Classical" players but I have found it very useful.
I would like to see the Segovia scale patterns on a fretboard graphice similar to those used in the book.
Richard

Thank you. I'll look at this & see what I can do.

Kampret
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

galabar

Post by galabar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks, I'll try these out tonight! :)

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 pm

These PDFs seem to need the WPIconicSymbolsA font to be installed. When I first tried to open them, Adobe Reader gave me an error message saying that the font was not available and that some parts of the files would not display correctly.

I was able to download and install the font without any problem, after which the error message no longer appeared.

Brad Little

Post by Brad Little » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:23 pm

In the 70s, one of my teachers gave me a rotation that used every pattern daily and by the end of a week had played every scale at least once. I may still have this pattern table hanging on the wall in my practice area somewhere. He also had a pattern that got me through all of the Giuliani RH studies in a weekly schedule.
Brad

David

Post by David » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 am

Nick Payne wrote:These PDFs seem to need the WPIconicSymbolsA font to be installed. When I first tried to open them, Adobe Reader gave me an error message saying that the font was not available and that some parts of the files would not display correctly.

I was able to download and install the font without any problem, after which the error message no longer appeared.
Thanks Nick. The font was supposed to be embedded as this is related to Finale/WordPerfect that I used to write them. I'll check it again & modify them, if needed. I'll then have to ask one of our brilliant Mods to replace the above files.

husker1

Post by husker1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Thank you for these. I've just returned to classical guitar playing and will find these very useful study and practice aids.

David

Post by David » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 am

husker1 wrote:Thank you for these. I've just returned to classical guitar playing and will find these very useful study and practice aids.

Husker

Thanks, let me know your thoughts after trying them.

Kampret

David

Post by David » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:06 am

Nick Payne wrote:These PDFs seem to need the WPIconicSymbolsA font to be installed. When I first tried to open them, Adobe Reader gave me an error message saying that the font was not available and that some parts of the files would not display correctly.

Nick

This has been fixed. It turned out to be the font that generted the copyright symbol. This is now embedded and appears to work ok.

Thank you Geoff for uploading the repaired files.

:merci:

Kampret

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Kampret,

Segovia Scales - Pattern Approach.pdf page numbering is broken. It has two pages #5.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”