Students' Corner

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:21 am

Thank you for posting this Goran! I very much enjoyed it :bravo:

You created a harpsichord like sound that was very fitting to this baroque suite.

The entree already sounds very good, and perhaps only lacks some ornamentation. The menuet sounded perhaps a bit heavy at places. Find a way to add some dance-like lightness into it by varying the articulation between staccato, portato and legato, and it will sound very good. I think those minor second intervals/chords in the menuet call for cross-string trills. Just something to keep in mind as your technique develops further.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Wow, Goran, that's wonderful, when will I play like that!
Do you need to speed more on the second piece?
Also, do you memorize the piece especially the second one because you get lost pressing the notes if you are looking at the score and not your left hand? I am asking because that's what's happening to me. I have started to learn to play beyond the 5th fret and i definitely need to look at my left hand all the time or I get lost. This really bothers me, because I don't want to feel pressed to memorize, I want to be able to read the score while playing without getting lost.

Goran Penic
Student of the online lessons

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:54 pm

:merci: Marko for your advice and comments.
I agree that it needs some more work on it. I'll try to add ornaments to a further performance
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:04 am

:merci: Bea.
Beatriz Martin wrote:Also, do you memorize the piece especially the second one because you get lost pressing the notes if you are looking at the score and not your left hand? I am asking because that's what's happening to me. I have started to learn to play beyond the 5th fret and i definitely need to look at my left hand all the time or I get lost. This really bothers me, because I don't want to feel pressed to memorize, I want to be able to read the score while playing without getting lost.

I've never tried to memorize the piece. Simply after a certain number of repetitions he stays in my head. :)
It's the same with playing in the higher positions. After a certain number of repetitions is only necessary to have enough confidence in your fingers. I can equally watch my fingers or read from notes.
Basically I look at my fingers because I look stupid in the video when I look at the floor or ceiling :lol:

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:58 am

Goran Penic wrote:I can equally watch my fingers or read from notes.
:bravo:
Goran Penic wrote: Basically I look at my fingers because I look stupid in the video when I look at the floor or ceiling :lol: :bye:
I know what you mean :D

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:Goran Penic wrote:
I can equally watch my fingers or read from notes.
It's not something particularly complicated.
It comes by itself after several years of daily exercise and play. If you keep the instructions previously given by Marko and let your fingers enough freedom there will be no problems. :)

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:10 am

Goran Penic wrote: Basically I look at my fingers because I look stupid in the video when I look at the floor or ceiling :lol:
I too can relate :D Solution - blindfold yourself!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 pm

The other day I saw a video of someone playing blindfolded, amazing! I guess you can practice that regularly and you will get good at it, I am not starting it yet though. Sometimes when I play I close my eyes for some moments but I think it would be weird to play a whole song with your eyes closed.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 am

I have a question on how to play Gaillarde of Morlaye, D03 lesson 1. Delcamp says to play a capo at 5th fret to imitate the renaissance guitar. Then, how do I read the notes? do you have to retune? I am afraid I wasnt doing it right with the Le Roy's Bransle de Poictou.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:23 am

Hi Bea, you just play the piece like you would play it without a capo. Only every note is played 5 frets higher than normally. No changes to tuning, so the piece will sound 5 semitones higher in pitch, which is the desired effect. Using the capo has the effect of shortening the scale of the guitar, so it will also make the higher frets easier to reach, for example the 'a' on the 2nd full bar (which with capo on the 5th fret becomes a 'd' on the 10th fret).
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:35 am

Thank you very much Marko. It makes sense to imitate the renaissance guitar. But cant the notes be written as they actually are? This misrepresentation of notes is a bit weird for me because I am still learning to sight read notes in higher frets without the capo. So hope I will not think that that D is an A when I play without a capo if you know what I mean.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 am

Yes, I know what you mean, Bea. But you should keep in mind that the use of capo in 5th fret is only a suggestion. More commonly renaissance pieces are played with capo on 3rd fret, or no capo at all, so in which key the piece should be written? The original source is most often lute tablature, where only fret and string is indicated, so note names are irrelevant.

IMO the best way to think about it is to just ignore all the frets to left of capo, and think that the fretboard starts from the capo position.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Thank you Marko, good to know, interesting.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

:bravo: Goran, Beatriz and Marko. :merci: for sharing! :casque:
And congrats to the owners of new guitars :D

Here is my summer recital. This is a one-take session of work in progress and revisited pieces (ok I removed a couple of bad starts/retuning :wink: ), so there are mistakes that might cause "pain"... Hopefully some parts are enjoyable :)

Youtube

(00:00)
Julio Sagreras (1879-1942)
Lecciones III n°11
D05 Lesson 5

(02:10)
Julio Salvador Sagreras
(1879-1942)
Leccion 5 n°21
D06 Lesson 4

(02:23)
Agustín Barrios Mangoré
(1885-1944)
El sueño de la muñequita
D05 Lesson 5

(05:58)
Erik Satie (1866-1925)
Gnossienne n°1
D06 Lesson 4

(09:58)
Erik Satie (1866-1925)
Gymnopedie n°1
D06 (not in lessons)

(13:20)
Anonyme
Scarborough Fair
D04 Lesson 4

(15:18)
Frédéric Chopin
(1810-1849)
Prélude n°7
D06 Lesson 3
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 pm

:bravo: Håvard! Aside from Gymnopedie there weren't too many mistakes, and Scarborough Fair was especially beautifully played!
In Gnossienne I would try to play the grace notes shorter. :merci: for posting! :casque:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”