2014 exams

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Halil Akaydin

Re: 2014 exams

Post by Halil Akaydin » Fri May 16, 2014 1:49 pm

I missed the window to post d01 :shock: oh well, :lol:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Theresa S. Sedlock wrote:Thanks GeoffB...your instructions are very straight forward and that is exactly what I did numerous times. It's too late now. It was not too late when I was trying to post it, by my time, ET. Maybe they are going by GMT? If that was the case , I may have been too late. Not sure what happen to all my post but I enter a good 8 or 10 of them and only one got through ? It's what I get for waiting till the last minute. Maybe I'll take D01 over again, don't know at this point.

Theresa
Sorry you missed out, Theresa. I expect they will have been going by GMT, and I see there is now a reply from a moderator to your post there saying that the exam period is now closed. I expect any posts that did not appear will probably have been deleted.

Looking on the bright side, you may not have your diploma but I'm sure you've learned a lot over the course, which is the important thing. If you decide to repeat it next time, it will be even easier, or you may decide to move on to D02 and build on your experience. (If you have time, you could even do D02 and repeat D01, as long as you fulfill the requirements for both). Better luck next time!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue May 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Hmmm ... for some reason I had recorded on my calendar that today, May 20, was the first day of the exam period for D02. Was there a change, or did I mark it down incorrectly?

Regardless, I have a question about recording the declaration:
Hello everyone,
my name is ............... ............,
I have followed Jean-François Delcamp's online lessons on the English-language forum.
I declare that I have posted on the English-language forum the recordings required for 7 of the lessons at the level for which I am submitting my entry today.
Here is my recording, made without any artificial effects or editing, of the required piece for the year-end exam.
In light of the fact that there appears to be no prohibition against recording multiple takes and uploading the best example, is it necessary that the declaration be recorded contiguously with the recording that is ultimately used, or may we record the declaration just once, and insert it into the video for whichever take we ultimately use (so long as the take itself is unedited)? Otherwise, it will get tedious to say that declaration each time we start over (if we do at all), and the exasperation may show in our voice!

Also, just to be sure, I trust that the requirement that it be "unedited" does not prohibit us from overdubbing the audio from our camera with that of a higher quality audio-only recorder, so long as that audio-only recording was made simultaneously with the video. This is how I have done my required lesson postings, but since they are apparently not graded, I want to double-check. Please let me know if this is prohibited for the final.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue May 20, 2014 2:33 pm

My understanding is that a written declaration is enough, i.e. that text doesn't need to be a part of the video, but copied in your posting. It's enough to state your name in the recording before you start to play. That's at least what I've been doing in my two previous exams. Although some people choose to edit their name into the video afterwards, in my opinion that goes against the spirit of the exam. I don't think combining audio and video from different sources counts as editing. The purpose of the rule (I think) is to prevent combining the whole piece from different takes, so that what the judges see and hear is a complete performance of the piece. The declaration in other languages refers to a montage, which is where I base my conclusion.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue May 20, 2014 5:45 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Hmmm ... for some reason I had recorded on my calendar that today, May 20, was the first day of the exam period for D02. Was there a change, or did I mark it down incorrectly?
The exam dates for D02 (and D05) start tomorrow (May 21) and go on until May 23 (bear in mind the timezone difference for the closing date and don't leave it too late!) The relevant topic in which to post your D02 exam piece is here.

If anyone is entering the exam and hasn't yet registered on the Spanish forum, make sure you do that without delay, as the process can take a couple of days. There is guidance here on how to do that.

As for the other questions, Marko is right in both cases, firstly that the declaration goes in the written part of the post, so you only need to speak to give your name in the recording itself, and secondly that there wouldn't be a problem in combining separate audio and video tracks as long as the recording itself is from one single take with no cutting.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu May 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Hope this is not too late for a question, but what time does the exam close on May 23? Not 12:01am GMT I hope. I recognize that Brest or GMT is a few hours ahead of me here in the eastern US, but I hope we have most of the day on the 23rd to upload. I have my submission ready but cannot combine the a/v and upload until after 10pm US Eastern tonight, 5/22, due to a conference call starting in 5 minutes (!) Thanks,

Carl

Update 10:45pm Eastern Time USA: OK, I've posted.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 23, 2014 7:00 am

I'm glad to see you made it with your recording, Carl!

I'm hoping you'll find things a bit easier with the shorter scale guitar, even though the difference is just 10mm.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 am

Carl, the exam closes at the end of the day on May 23 (today), and I would guess that is based on GMT. I see your entry got in with plenty of time, but I notice you have not registered this year. Last year's registration will have lapsed, so you need to go to this thread as soon as possible and ask to re-register for this year.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri May 23, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks Marko.

The Cordoba Dolce they sell in the US is 630mm, so a 20mm difference. Nut is 50mm.

My biggest reservations about it thus far are the fretwork (no binding, some sharp frets - should be better), and the difficulty in controlling the volume. It's extremely sensitive compared to my Yamaha laminate - some notes come out unintentionally loud. The latter is probably good for those with excellent dynamic control. The former isn't good at all.

Geoff - oh goodness, I didn't know I needed to re-register! My posting seemed to go up ... will check that out.

Edit: I have made the request. I am quite puzzled though. I thought registration on the Spanish forum meant having a working username and password - that's the common meaning where I live. I'm going to go back and re-read the instructions. I did not realize that it meant something else.
Last edited by CarlWestman on Fri May 23, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 23, 2014 10:46 am

Yes, your post appeared because you are already a member of the Spanish forum and have had messages approved there in the past, but you need to be in the students (Alumnos) group there too, in order to take part in the exam, and that's where the exam registration process comes in.

Geoff

p.s. You won't need to repost your exam entry, just get registered.
Classical Guitar Forum.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri May 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for giving me that heads-up, and I sure hope I'm not too late. I still can't quite figure out where I missed that information - that one's registration at the spanish forum needed to be renewed each year for each final exam, or that you have to re-apply annually to be part of the student group in the Spanish forum to have your final judged. Where did I miss that?

I am sorry that I am finding the process somewhat complicated and the information needed to successfully navigate it seems to not be located all in one spot (for instance, under "2014 Exams" or the "D02 Examen de fin de curso" announcement post. Even under "FAQ for lessons", it does not say that one's registration (or one's membership in the student group) expires annually. But I see on my user control panel that while I'm in the 002 group I'm not (yet) in the Alumnos group.

If I am tripped up by this process, would I have to re-do 7 of 10 lessons next year to qualify for the D02 exam, or could I point to my 8 posted lessons from this year, while perhaps instead working my way through D03 lessons and do both the D02 and D03 final exams at the end?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Carl,

The answer to your last question is probably that you'd have to repeat the course if you wanted to resit the exam, but I'm sure it won't come to that. I can see that both your exam entry and your application for registration into the Alumnos group were posted well before the deadline, and it's not your fault if there hasn't been a moderator on hand to add you to the group yet. If necessary I can make that point to M. Delcamp.

The FAQ entry does say that you should register for the exam, but to be absolutely clear I've just added a warning that you need to repeat this every year. It's like our Students group here - you need to register for the group here in order to take part in the lessons, then in September the group is dissolved and you need to register again if you want to continue with the next session.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat May 24, 2014 2:36 am

Thank you, Geoff!

Perhaps it would be fruitful to ask players on the English forum to go ahead and register on the Spanish forum as well at the beginning of each year of lessons, if they expect to do the final? Do them together so no one forgets. This is assuming, of course, that there continues to be a different forum prescribed for the lesson postings vs. the final exam. I'm not sure of the reason for that - I find it puzzling - but perhaps it relates to getting independent judges?

kind regards,
Carl

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat May 24, 2014 11:51 am

I suppose that the reason for hosting the exams on the Spanish forum is that you need to have a relatively small and well-integrated judging panel to ensure a consistent judging standard, and it happens that the panel is made up of members of the Spanish forum. I think there was an effort initially to recruit judges more widely, but as you said it isn't easy to get volunteers for a responsible task like that.

And the problem with getting students to register on the Spanish forum at the start of the year is that they would risk losing their accounts if they don't fulfil the requirement of posting at least one message there per month after that. The rule isn't strictly enforced, but it theory it could happen. So it's easier to register a few days before he exam, but I agree that next year we could make it clearer upfront that they need to do this. I've made a couple of changes to the FAQ and inserted a note at the beginning of this thread to make this year's students aware of it.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 am

A reminder that the exams for levels D03 and D04 start on May 29 and go on until May 31, but don't leave it until too late if your timezone is behind GMT. Also, make sure you register on the Spanish forum in plenty of time, and in the Students group there, as described in the FAQ, because this can take a day or two.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”