D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:49 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
In these right hand exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes).

- page 102 ex. 51 to 55.
Exercises 51 to 54 are for the fingers of the right hand. The (x) sign indicates that the right hand finger is resting on the string (and damping it). Exercise 55 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger over to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you play the new note.

Youtube

Youtube

- page 87 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

- page 65 Mattéo CARCASSI (1792-1853) VALSE opus 59
The first 8 bar phrase is made up of short elements, it is fragmented. The second 8 bar phrase is all one block, and therefore forms a contrast with the first phrase. The third phrase repeats the first. The fourth phrase is a synthesis of the first two phrases, it is made up of two elements of 4 bars each.

Youtube

- page 50 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) EXERCICE II opus 35
Sing one voice and play the other. Find the best places to breathe while you are singing.

Youtube

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e 5 e 6 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6" in English)

Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- exercises number 9 on page 87 and
- number 54 on page 102, as well as for the
- Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

exercises number 9 on page 87
number 54 on page 102
Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35

Dennis Stewart
number 54 on page 102

jorge nuño guerrero
number 54 on page 102

Mark Farber
number 54 on page 102

Miguel Grajeda
number 54 on page 102

Bill Davis
number 54 on page 102

Eva Pakaki
number 54 on page 102

David Yang
number 54 on page 102

Derek Shi
number 54 on page 102

Angela Zhao
number 54 on page 102

Archit Junnarkar
number 54 on page 102
:( + ♫ = :)

David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by David Yang » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 pm

The exercises on extension are challenging. I can hardly put my fingers in place without moving my palm and even arm!
Music begins where language ends.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:56 am

David Yang wrote:The exercises on extension are challenging. I can hardly put my fingers in place without moving my palm and even arm!
They are hard. :aide: no pain, no gain. Lol. I am pushing through I am sure we will get it with more practice. :cafeine:
Bill

Mark Farber

Post by Mark Farber » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:56 am

I find the finger independence exercises extremely difficult too. Ugh.

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:10 pm

I actually feel physical pain in my wrist wenever i try. Im not sure if i should pass on this exercise...

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:51 pm

Be mindful of a tendency to bend the left-wrist for some of the finger transitions/movements, that can cause lots of extra stress/pain. I have to dip my left shoulder a little while pushing the elbow out and keeping the left arm/wrist straight to get some of the hand and finger shifts to work, but that's related to my physiology and how I hold the guitar, others can be different.

I had to do many of these super slow to get the hang of it and train the fingers accordingly.

The pinky-bass and G-string ring finger extension is the toughest one for me :-)

As Professor Delcamp mentions, if the stretches are uncomfortable--assuming all other factors are performed correctly--, try using a capo and moving the exercise to a higher position on the neck
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:25 pm

John Montes wrote:Be mindful of a tendency to bend the left-wrist for some of the finger transitions/movements, that can cause lots of extra stress/pain. I have to dip my left shoulder a little while pushing the elbow out and keeping the left arm/wrist straight to get some of the hand and finger shifts to work, but that's related to my physiology and how I hold the guitar, others can be different.

I had to do many of these super slow to get the hang of it and train the fingers accordingly.

The pinky-bass and G-string ring finger extension is the toughest one for me :-)

As Professor Delcamp mentions, if the stretches are uncomfortable--assuming all other factors are performed correctly--, try using a capo and moving the exercise to a higher position on the neck
Hi John

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I always feel a stinging pain in my wrist whil doing exercise nr. 9, even when i put the Capo on to the 5th fret. I guess this is a leftover from when i broke my wrist when i was a kid. It never fully recovered. I wont be able to complete this excercise.

Now my question is, will i still be able to complete the exam qualifying for this month? Should I learn another excercise instead?

Regards

Dennis

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:52 am

Dennis Stewart wrote:Now my question is, will i still be able to complete the exam qualifying for this month? Should I learn another excercise instead?
Hi Dennis,

please post videos of exercises 6-8, or as far as you can get with the extensions without pain, and we'll count this lesson towards exam qualification (provided of course that you post the other required submissions). You might get some useful feedback based on the video, that will let you progress further with this exercise.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:15 pm

On playing the extension's. I have read people on here saying they have pain someone even said stinging pain.

Remember to limber up your fingers and hands Prof. Delcamp has shown a few of these. You should never have stinging pain or whatever pain it is.

Make sure you have the correct posture the exercises are to help stretch your fingers not give you a permanent injury.If you have pain stop and rest your hands.

Your fingers, hand should feel stretched w/o pain me I will play until I start having some fatigue in the back of my hand. Which probably isn't good but not until there is pain. GO slowly and allow your tendons to stretch slowly you will find after awhile that you can stretch 5 frets at least from the 1st fret.

Don't play the extensions every day. 2 times a week maybe 3, there is also the chromatic scale EX. where you try to keep your fingers in place once you have all 4 finger from f to g#, pick up your i, and leaving the rest of your fingers down place it on b flat then on an on to the 1st string. This is a good exercise. Vary your playing.

Kirk

Mark Farber

Post by Mark Farber » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:05 pm

I find that working through the extension once at the start of my practice, and once again after 20, 40 and 60 minutes of doing something else has been helpful. The first time through the fourth exercise (and sometimes even the third) is very difficult. But by spending some time working on the other pieces and coming back to the extensions, I find that my fingers are a little more limber. It is still a challenge to get through them, but it gets a bit easier. That sai, if you have sever pain (anything beyond the feeling of a good stretch), I think you should stop.

I have also found that shifting my body (arm position, dropping the shoulder, etc) sometimes helps.

Eva Pakaki

Post by Eva Pakaki » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Hello everyone!

I believe I will have the ready until next week :)

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:24 am

I agree about trying to limber up for this exercise nr. 9. My fingers seem too short to properly reach and it does burn if I practice it too long. I guess in this situation no pain, no gain is probably not a good rule of thumb like lifting weights or exercising :lol: . I have been putting the exercise into my practice on a more casual basis and I hope to be able to do this when I record my lessons. Good luck all! I look forward to your posts. Bill :bye:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi guys, hope everyone is doing fine. Here are my submissions for this month. I was struggeling a lot with the extension exercise due to an old injury to my left wrist and it was just not possible to perform the exercise without pain. So I decided to record extension 6 - 8 instead of nr. 9, I hope this counts. The Fernando Sor still needs lots of work, I will try to post another one in a week or so...

Looking forward to listen to all your submissions, good luck

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

jorge nuño guerrero

Post by jorge nuño guerrero » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Health to all partners , JOHN and MARKO this day am sending my lessons , I must say it has not been easy and more of what I've done I can not.
I'm still very cold perhaps later things have changed and improved performance.
BIG GEORGE .

jorge nuño guerrero

Post by jorge nuño guerrero » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”