[PDF] Lawson, Jeremiah - Aria for viola and guitar - Duo

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Jeremiah Lawson

[PDF] Lawson, Jeremiah - Aria for viola and guitar - Duo

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:44 am

This is actually the second movement of a sonata for viola and guitar I started all the way back in 2001. I only finished the first movement back in 2006 and this is the second movement, or at least it is now. It's not much but considering the writer's block I've had in the last year it's still something.

Even though it's in F major the sixth string is tuned to F and not E so the piece is actually not very hard to play on the guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vesuvio

Re: WenatcheeTheHatchet - Sonata for viola and guitar, II. Aria

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:54 am

Hello WTH,
WenatcheeTheHatchet wrote:...It's not much but considering the writer's block I've had in the last year it's still something...
It's much more than something—it's original, it's yours and it's here. I am pleased you are writing again, I can only imagine how difficult it is to create music—thank you for sharing your talent with us,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

avoz

Post by avoz » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:27 am

Wenatchee, Many thanks - sections I have played solo sound lovely and I look forward to hearing the full effect with viola soon - what do you think about transcription of the solo part for others lacking the ideal partnet in guitar duet. Clearly not entirly satisfactory, particularly sustain of the dotted minims (the final 'e' could be played as a natural harmonic)?

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:24 am

I'll have to think about that, avoz. If I were to set up an alternate arrangement for the melodic line I'd give the melody to a clarinet, a saxophone, or possibly even a muted trumpet. I'm pretty committed to the idea that this duet is for the guitar and another instrument that's not a guitar. I feel I can be flexible about which not-a-guitar instrument that second instrument is but I'm pretty committed to the second instrument not being a guitar.

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Thank you, it looks interesting. Not sure if I'll find a clarinet or viola but it could be played by a flute?

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Regular flute doesn't go low enough but alto flute would work well. So now that I'm thinking it through if the viola isn't available any of the following should work:

viola (preferred of course)
alto flute
clarinet
trumpet (will definitely need mute)
alto saxophone

Jeremiah Lawson

Re: [PDF] WenatcheeTheHatchet - Aria for viola and guitar [II]

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 am

If all the above instruments are lacking I would endorse the use of a piano, too. Just get ride of the ties at the end of the viola part in that case.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”