[PDF] Scarlatti, Domenico - L.033 Sonata

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
PhilTheEngineer

[PDF] Scarlatti, Domenico - L.033 Sonata

Post by PhilTheEngineer » Wed May 13, 2009 1:19 pm

Hello,

This is my transcription of Scarlatti's Sonata L.33 for guitar solo. It includes plenty of fingerings.

I'll upload a recording to the mp3 section.

Regards,

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuitaristOrdinate

Re: [PDF] Scarlatti, Domenico - Sonata L.33

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Thank you Philip for this score , it is most appreciated .

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed May 13, 2009 1:54 pm

:merci: Phil,

V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

norban

Post by norban » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Big effort Philipp,
but just looking at the score says it's above my skill. :( Anyway, i'm looking forward to your mp3 :P

Thankk you.
norban
A life without music is possible but very poor.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm

WOW, Phil! What a job!
:bravo:

This has always been my all time favorite Scarlatti Sonata, ever since I first heard it on a Presti and Lagoya album.

I have tw transcriptions of it for solo guitar. One of which is by Sergio Abreu. He used two staves to write it! That was the first time I'd ever seen that since the Britten Nocturnal! Sergio played the piece, but he said he felt it was too much for one guitar and not enough for two.

You've solved some of the problems of the other arrangements in yours. It's still quite a workout for that poor 4th finger, though.

Nice fingerings, as well. Thank you! They're very much needed!

I don't know if you've noticed by now that I seem to be the "resident editor" here :lol: (That's my day job and I just can't help myself...)

I'm happy to report that I found only one thing that might be a typo.In measure 21, should the low C be played with 2 and the subsequent F# with 3?

Again, AMAZING job, Phil!

Thank you!

Alan

PhilTheEngineer

Post by PhilTheEngineer » Wed May 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Many thanks everyone for the comments :D

Alan, I was very interested to hear of the other solo guitar arrangements of this sonata. It does have dense and intricate textures that are difficult to transcribe to solo guitar but I like this sonata so much that I thought I'd have a go at doing some justice to the original.

BTW in measure 21 I should have included more detail: the low A should be played on the 6th string with 3rd finger, the low C with the 1st finger (5th string) and the top C on the 3rd string with 4th finger. This leaves the 2nd finger free for the f#. Sorry if this isn't clear!

Again, thanks for the encouragement, it makes the work worthwhile!

Phil

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed May 13, 2009 7:43 pm

PhilTheEngineer wrote:
BTW in measure 21 I should have included more detail: the low A should be played on the 6th string with 3rd finger, the low C with the 1st finger (5th string) and the top C on the 3rd string with 4th finger. This leaves the 2nd finger free for the f#. Sorry if this isn't clear!
Phil
Oops! :oops: You're right. I must have misread it.

That's why there are so many mistakes in published music. The editors read though the stuff too quickly... :chaud:

Alan

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed May 13, 2009 8:11 pm

:bravo:

Aryeh

Post by Aryeh » Wed May 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Phil,

AMAZING arr., I've just just reviewed your great performance over on the mp3 member's section.

The score looks nice, you could definitely have filled up two pages with this as the score looks a bit crowded because the staves are too close together. Absolutely incredible fingering job, fingerings are so incredibly tedious to put in! :mrgreen:

Which notation program are you using? It looks like Sibelius, there are many options to make the layout of a score look nice and even with that program.

I've just read/played through the score and the only error I can find is in mm.22, the D in the first chord should be a D# as the original B min has an A# there.

Thanks so much for sharing such a quality transcription for free with us, if it was my own I don't think I would be so generous! :mrgreen:

Regards,

Aryeh
:merci: :bravo: :bravo:

PhilTheEngineer

Post by PhilTheEngineer » Wed May 13, 2009 9:07 pm

Aryeh wrote: I've just read/played through the score and the only error I can find is in mm.22, the D in the first chord should be a D# as the original B min has an A# there.
Hi Aryeh,

I've taken a look at measure 22 in the piano score and can't see an A# in the 1st chord - it's there as A natural :? - am I looking at the right bar?

Thanks,

Phil

Aryeh

Post by Aryeh » Wed May 13, 2009 11:40 pm

PhilTheEngineer wrote:
Aryeh wrote: I've just read/played through the score and the only error I can find is in mm.22, the D in the first chord should be a D# as the original B min has an A# there.
Hi Aryeh,

I've taken a look at measure 22 in the piano score and can't see an A# in the 1st chord - it's there as A natural :? - am I looking at the right bar?

Thanks,

Phil
I think you are, apparently my version is different than yours. I'm guessing the one you have is the Ricordi edition which I just checked on Wikipedia's IMSLP is an A natural. I have another edition I got from the Werner-Icking site

http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/ ... i/k087.pdf

and it has an A#. I'm guessing yours is probably the correct one because I've just listened to Ivo Pogorelich the pianist play it on CD and he plays just a plain A natural. The A# has a bit more of a pull as a leading tone and also sounds good but probably wasn't what Scarlatti wanted. Sorry for the correction, it wasn't needed! :desole:

Regards,

Aryeh

PhilTheEngineer

Post by PhilTheEngineer » Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 am

Aryeh wrote: I think you are, apparently my version is different than yours. I'm guessing the one you have is the Ricordi edition
Yes, that explains it - I did use the Ricordi edition which has A natural. But as you point out, the sharpened leading note does work and has a little more 'pull'.

At the end of the Ricordi edition Longo gives a note: 'The errors of the C.V. in this piece are very numerous and often inexplicable'. So it looks like the original MS has a number of ambiguous places.

Again, many thanks for your valuable input :D

Phil

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”