[PDF] Kerckhoven, Abraham van den - C351Fantasia - Quartetto

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
MartinY

[PDF] Kerckhoven, Abraham van den - C351Fantasia - Quartetto

Post by MartinY » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am

I see there is none of the fantastic music of Abraham van den Kerckhoven (1618-1701) on this forum yet, (complete music in Volume II of Monuments of Belgian Music, Antwerp 1933, if your town has a good library) or the Cocquiel Manuscript Project on the Werner Icking web site).

The longest piece is this Fantasia in F Major Cocquiel 351. I wondered whether it would make a good duet but there is a lot of counterpoint and it needs a lot of resonance in the long notes so I decided a single line quartet would sound the best. In the long running passages thumb and first finger would be good rather than two fingers. I think it is also less tiring if you are not using the thumb and the thumb is just hanging there while you play with the fingers as well as being an authentic baroque technique.

I will examine the Cocquiel pieces to see if anything will make a solo guitar piece but in the meantime thanks to the Cocquiel Manuscript Project team, (including Patrick Roose, Godelieve Spiessens and Michel Rondeau), for bringing this music to our attention. Some of the other fantasies sound like Purcell fantasies on 4 viols.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MartinY on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avoz

Re: [PDF] kerckhoven, Abraham van den - Fantasia 351 Ensemble

Post by avoz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:03 pm

:merci: Martin, It 'reads' like very fine music and, though I will have to make a reduction for three guitars, look forward to playing it. I hope other forum members are aware of the riches to be found at WIMA (Werner Icking Music Archive) - a treasure trove available for free download.

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks Martin!

MartinY

Post by MartinY » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:01 pm

On closer inspection I see the Kerckhoven C351 Fantasia will make a rather good guitar duet so I am working on that. It needs a few notes swopping between 1st and 2nd guitars and a bit of fingering working out but I am sure it will be playable and maintain all the sustained notes and the fluid running passages.

j02p22

Re: [PDF] Kerckhoven, Abraham van den - C351Fantasia - Quart

Post by j02p22 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:46 pm

For guitar quartet... Perfect! Thank you :D

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”