[PDF] Lawes, William - Sunrise Suite (Version 1) - Ensemble

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
MartinY

[PDF] Lawes, William - Sunrise Suite (Version 1) - Ensemble

Post by MartinY » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:44 am

This arrangement may be stretching the limits of sanity, especially when you try and get the last movement together. The guitar parts are essentially work in progress. There are probably no harder than the duet by Lawes that Bream and Williams used to play years ago. (I think the music for that is on this site somewhere. I will look.) Here you have the whole suite, (Set to Will Lawes), transposed up a tone and altered to fit two violins and two guitars, (from 2xTreb, 2xTenor, 2 xBass viols of the original). The 1st Fantazy is called the 'Sunrise'.

I see it is Eric who has edited the duet, with extensive information at: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20990&p=528078.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MartinY

Re: [PDF] Lawes, William - Sunrise Suite (Version 1) - Ensemb

Post by MartinY » Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 am

Is there much interest in Lawes converted to guitar ensemble? I have some more pieces but I am playing them with bowed string instruments, so I have no need for guitar arrangements at the moment. Maybe a guitar solo or two extracted from the smaller ensembles might be interesting. I do not think any lute solos by Lawes survive though people must have made them back in the 1600s.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri May 13, 2011 10:03 am

It doesn't look as if there's a lot of interest. I notice nobody has replied to my posting of a Lawes trio here, viewtopic.php?f=12&t=59012 and only a few people have viewed the post. It's a pity as Lawes's music is enjoyable to play and worth listening to. I suppose ensemble music in general gets less response than solo music.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

kingkong

Post by kingkong » Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Solo arrangements would certainly be interesting, if Lawes' instrumental pieces are as good as his songs in F. Noad's Baroque anthology.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”