[PDF] Gaultier, Ennemond - Tombeau de Mezangeau

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
pogmoor

[PDF] Gaultier, Ennemond - Tombeau de Mezangeau

Post by pogmoor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Here's a piece that's had a couple of mentions recently, by kefka as the first lute tombeau, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73952 and by Praeludium as a great example of the French baroque, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75212&p=818964.

It's not too difficult to make a passable guitar arrangement. I've had to change the key, thin out and/or revoice a few chords and I've put short phrases in bars 9 and 17 up an octave in order to aid playability, but otherwise it is as it appears in the tablature. The fingering needs a bit of care, especially in the second half.

Edit: I've found a better tablature source and uploaded an 'improved' version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

AO

Re: [PDF] Gaultier, Ennemond - Tombeau de Mezangeau

Post by AO » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks Eric,

This is a tough one to sight read but looking forward to working it out.

I thought I recognized the name from Davison Apel Anthology but not the same Gaultier. I wonder if there is some relation.

Thanks again, Arthur.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:25 am

AO wrote: I thought I recognized the name from Davison Apel Anthology but not the same Gaultier.
Ah the Historical Anthology of Music - that brings back memories! I remember looking through that in my school library and copying out the lute pieces to try on my guitar. I managed to find a second-hand copy of both volumes about 15 years ago; it's certainly a source worth having.

The Gaultier piece there (Mode sous-ionien) is from La Rhetorique des Dieux by Denis Gaultier who was Ennemond's younger cousin. Ennemond is sometimes referred to as Gaultier le vieux to distinguish him from his cousin and I think it has sometimes been difficult for scholars to untangle who wrote what because of the way in which names were rather incompletely cited in manuscripts and some printed sources.

There was another lutenist with a similar name - Jacques Gautier who worked at the English court in the early 17th century. Seemingly he left France for England in 1617, having been accused of murder! His music is sometimes confused with the other Gaultiers'.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Praeludium

Post by Praeludium » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for your work !
What a great piece.
Cette dernière trahison m'a été également reprochée. Ce que je trouve à répondre, c'est:"merde aux conventions!"

- Ligeti

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:57 am

Nice work,

Can't wait to give it a try...

Thanks!

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

jomet

Post by jomet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 am

great piece! nice arrangement too.
Thanks for sharing this. :merci:
"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
--Paulo Coelho

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:21 am

Excellent! I just heard this on a Marten Falk album and searching for a guitar transcription brought me here. Thank you for this :)
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”