The Humming Song - Robert Schumann

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
Tubbers

The Humming Song - Robert Schumann

Post by Tubbers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:25 pm

This is one of my faves to play by Schumann. My nephew added a slight reverb I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Help!

philharmonicat

Re: The Humming Song - Robert Schumann

Post by philharmonicat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 am

Individual creative preference no doubt varies, but for me I find this degree of reverb, plus the chorus effect, detracts a little from the immediacy of the piece. It's an interesting sound, but I'd love to hear the timbre of your instrument more. (and it's a great piece!) :D
Erik

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 am

philharmonicat wrote:Individual creative preference no doubt varies, but for me I find this degree of reverb, plus the chorus effect, detracts a little from the immediacy of the piece. It's an interesting sound, but I'd love to hear the timbre of your instrument more...
I agree 100% with this. The effects detract from what seems like a very effective performance!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Thelonious

Post by Thelonious » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:44 am

Yup, reverb in small doses is fine but this throws in many remnants and echoes covering what is being played presently.
Reverb should last long enough not to cover up what is coming afterwards. Try asking your nephew to dial it back a little or experiment with different reverb types like small room and definitely no echo/delay.

quavers

Re: The Humming Song - Robert SchIumann

Post by quavers » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:35 am

I agree. The reverb is a little distracting. I like to play this tune by using all free strokes and as far away from the bridge as possible. Maybe add a little vibrato in places. It's a fairly a simple piece and offers many opportunities for the player to produce beautiful tones without getting to caught up with technical demands.

JonD

Post by JonD » Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 am

The sound reminds me of Phil Keaggy's style actually. Whatever level of reverb is used in the final piece I'm sure it will make a gret chillout piece.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”