Who is the composer? Spanish is a Loving Tongue

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
lucy

Who is the composer? Spanish is a Loving Tongue

Post by lucy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Does anyone know who wrote this little piece?

I first heard it on a cassette I was bought many years ago. Fernando Jonas is the guitarist and it sounds as though he is playing a duet with himself.

Unfortunately, the cassette said Jonas wrote everything on it, which he clearly didn't. Poor packaging! However, it's possible he wrote this one, but I can't find out anything about him online. Does anyone know anything about him?

I've always liked this very pretty little piece. Perhaps, it's a well known song? I don't know!

The sheet music would be nice to have too, if it exists.
Spanish is a Loving Tongue.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

guitarrista

Re: Who is the composer? Spanish is a Loving Tongue

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:25 pm

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_i ... ing_Tongue:
"Spanish is the Loving Tongue" is a song based on the poem "A Border Affair" written by Charles Badger Clark in 1907. Clark was a cowboy poet who lived throughout the American West, and was named the Poet Laureate of South Dakota in 1937. The poem was set to music in 1925 by Billy Simon.
The melody has a bit of a cowboy/western feel to it, so this sounds plausible.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks guitarrista. That is it! :)

I'm not sure why my own research didn't bring up that. :oops:

It is probably Jonas' own arrangement, (or a colleague of his), like most of the other tracks on the recording.

I've listened to a few versions of the song on YouTube, including by Bob Dylan, but I'm not sure like them too much. They seem a little dour, whereas Jonas' version is very upbeat! I think it sounds quite nice that way.

I suppose if I want to play it, in Jonas' style, I'll have to arrange it myself. There are chords and the notes of the tune readily available.

:merci:

andywiz

Post by andywiz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:25 am

I have a CD by Jonas which is probably contains the same material as the cassette you mentioned. It has 26 tracks and although mine is called Classical Guitar Masterpieces I have seen the same collection under multiple covers and names in various countries. The same collection is on Spotify under two different names and covers, one of which is misleading and totally inappropriate. There are no writing credits on my CD, which I think I bought in a local Woolworth's in 1987, and I have never seen any on the other versions I have looked at over the years. The track listing is as follows, it is certainly guitar, but I am not sure how many tracks would count as classical or masterpieces.

01 William Tell Overture
02 Tamarindas Indiga
03 Opu s One
04 Etude D'Eby
05 Spring Dance
06 The Entertainer
07 Andante Cantablil
08 Melodie D'Amour
09 Mon Amour
10 Chariots Of Fire
11 The Thorn Birds
12 La Catalina
13 The Flame Trees Of Thika
14 Spanish Melody
15 Bouree
16 Spanish Is A Loving Tongue
17 Scherzo
18 Cavatina
19 Minuet
20 Air On The G-String
21 Dawn Chorus
22 Allegretto
23 Morceaux Faciles No.5
24 Caprice No.5
25 Morceaux Faciles No.4
26 Andante

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

andywiz wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:25 am
The track listing is as follows, it is certainly guitar, but I am not sure how many tracks would count as classical or masterpieces.

01 William Tell Overture
02 Tamarindas Indiga
03 Opu s One
04 Etude D'Eby
05 Spring Dance
06 The Entertainer
07 Andante Cantablil
08 Melodie D'Amour
09 Mon Amour
10 Chariots Of Fire
11 The Thorn Birds
12 La Catalina
13 The Flame Trees Of Thika
14 Spanish Melody
15 Bouree
16 Spanish Is A Loving Tongue
17 Scherzo
18 Cavatina
19 Minuet
20 Air On The G-String
21 Dawn Chorus
22 Allegretto
23 Morceaux Faciles No.5
24 Caprice No.5
25 Morceaux Faciles No.4
26 Andante
Yes, that's it. Actually, I'm not sure any of the pieces would count as "classical guitar masterpieces"!!! :lol: Perhaps, Cavatina, if I'm honest! Most are transcriptions, with a little Carulli (?) thrown in. Well, that's marketing! :D

I never thought the playing was that good either, but I always liked the particular track in question and a few of the more upbeat ones. :)

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”