I received a Baroque guitar for repairs.
The guitar was damaged in an accident and the back was crushed with some damage to the sides.
The head was snapped from the neck.
So I was asked to examine the guitar and possibly restore the guitar as close to the original as possible.
Upon examination I concluded that the guitar is quite repairable.
The back's damage looks pretty bad but all the pieces should be inside the body itself so think should able to glue back nicely.
The neck was using V-joint and glued with hide glue so the break was virtually clean at the joint.
So no damage to the head/neck joint.
The side's damage is minimal.
Damage to back
Damage to head / neck
Slight damage to sides
Close up of the damage to back
After much consideration and some advice from the owner's luthier friend, we both agreed that removing the back is the way to go.
So I removed the binding first but weren't able to retain the binding during the removal process.
Next I use iron and steam over wet paper towel to heat up the joint
I carefully insert the palette knife to separate the back and sides linings.
The hard part was a the brace joining the sides.
The braces sit in a lining pocket but didn't budge.
In the end I manage to lift up the back slightly and insert a 2 mm chisel to chisel the brace free from the pocket.
Another hard part is at the heel area.
But after much heating and inserting I manage to dislodge the back from the heel.
Luckily the heel area is pretty small.
Damage of the back extend to the upper bout.
Removing the binding
Heating the back and lining.
A wet paper towel underneath
Inserting the palette knife to separate the joint
Finally the back is off!
Luckily all the missing pieces are intact.