vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
oc chuck

vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Post by oc chuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:22 am

From Sharon Isbin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsefPawinA

I've been playing this piece for about two years but
never really got it down.

Excellent explanation on bringing out the lines
and melody.

Maria Anisimova
Student of the online lessons

Re: vals 3 analysis-Isbin

Post by Maria Anisimova » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 am

I absolutely adore this waltz and hope I'll be able to play it some day. Incidentally, whose interpretation of it appeals more to you? I've heard a nice one by Anna Vidovic.
Yamaha SLG N100

JohnB

Re: vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Post by JohnB » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:57 am

Confession: I'm not particularly enamoured of either Sharon Isbin's or Anna Vidovic's performances on YTube.

There is a recording on YouTube of Lauro's Venezuelan Waltz No 3 (together with lots of other Lauro pieces) by Jesús Castro Balbi, someone who I have never heard of before. But... But... But, he is very, very good indeed in this music and brings real character to it - not just flurries of notes.

This is the link. Venezuelan Waltz No 3 is at 24:58 (click on "Show More" and you will be able to go direct to the track. Do please have a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXBV6FG3rkM

It turns out that Jesús Castro Balbi is professor of guitar at the Conservatoire de Lyon. Confusingly he has a cellist son called Jesús Castro-Balbi.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Maria Anisimova
Student of the online lessons

Re: vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Post by Maria Anisimova » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Oh, yes. Jesus Castro Balbi's playing is great. There is just one detail which puzzled me. Should those descending chords really be played so sharply and abruptly? Somehow to me they sounded a bit alien in the context of his interpretation as a whole.
Yamaha SLG N100

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”