a long form survey of early 19th century guitar sonatas by Diabelli, Molitor, Matiegka, Giuliani and Sor

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
Jeremiah Lawson

a long form survey of early 19th century guitar sonatas by Diabelli, Molitor, Matiegka, Giuliani and Sor

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Last year, after immersing myself in Elements of Sonata Theory by Hepokoski & Darcy I finally got around to a writing project I'd meant to get to for years, analyzing the sonata forms of the early 19th century guitarists. I recommended the Elements of Sonata Theory book here at Delcamp last year.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=107954

One of the proposals in the book is that there's a "Type 2" sonata in which not all material presented in an exposition is brought back in the recapitulation. I made a long-form case that once it is understood that this type of sonata is a normative option that it is pretty common in early 19th century guitar literature.

As for the analytic survey itself, it's in posts tagged on the topic over here:
http://wenatcheethehatchet.blogspot.com ... %20sonatas

This was a project I had intended to start tackling years ago but .. other kinds of writing projects about local events in the Puget Sound were a higher priority in the 2012-2015 period for me.

wchymeus

Re: a long form survey of early 19th century guitar sonatas by Diabelli, Molitor, Matiegka, Giuliani and Sor

Post by wchymeus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:43 am

Wow, very impressive work. Flicking through your notes on some Giuliani's work, I appreciated every little bit of analysis!
I couldn't find his Op 50 which is one of the most approachable sonata in term of technical difficulty, and studied a lot ... an analysis would be good material.

Thanks for sharing!
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

sxedio

Re: a long form survey of early 19th century guitar sonatas by Diabelli, Molitor, Matiegka, Giuliani and Sor

Post by sxedio » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks for sharing indeed. I have been playing the Diabelli in C, so it would be good to look through your analysis with score in hand.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”