What chord is this? Sagreras Book 1 Lesson 70

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
stevel

Re: What chord is this? Sagreras Book 1 Lesson 70

Post by stevel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:39 am

Bar 5 is a V/iv chord. That's "five of four", which should lead to...

Bar 6 is a iv chord. The F# in the melody is called an Upper Neighbor (or upper auxiliary). It's a type of non-chord tone and doesn't affect the overall harmony.

Bar 7 is a i6/4 chord. That's "one six four". Six four means it's in 2nd inversion.

The end of Bar 7 is a V7 chord that's missing the 3rd of the chord (a common occurrence).

The last measure is of course a i chord - as one would expect.

That's it.

Steve

Ray

Post by Ray » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:56 am

stevel wrote:Bar 5 is a V/iv chord. That's "five of four", which should lead to...

Bar 6 is a iv chord. The F# in the melody is called an Upper Neighbor (or upper auxiliary). It's a type of non-chord tone and doesn't affect the overall harmony.

Bar 7 is a i6/4 chord. That's "one six four". Six four means it's in 2nd inversion.

The end of Bar 7 is a V7 chord that's missing the 3rd of the chord (a common occurrence).

The last measure is of course a i chord - as one would expect.

That's it.

Steve
Very good steve! :D

Next up for your succinct expert analysis is bars 345-360 of Strauss' Elektra lol! :lol: :wink:

Ray

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Alot of times we tend analyze things too vertically. As mentioned before bar 6 is an upper neighbor or nonchord tone. If it was a F# dim. chord it would resolve to the G chord. We can look at it as ii half dim. Chord, but it is in my opinion too brief as the that measure screams iv chord. I would say it is more of an apogiatura (even though most books wouldn't call it that) since it lands on the beat, very much like Villa Lobos Choro No 1 in measure two. Bar 7 the E is implied in the I 6/4 chord, as well as the D# is implied implied in the V7 chord. That is my 2 cents.

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”