Commissioning Guitar Compositions: A Proposal

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
av8t0r

Commissioning Guitar Compositions: A Proposal

Post by av8t0r » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

As part of the discussion I started about commissioning guitar scores from contemporary composers, I listed a few whose work I admire, including Michael Karmon, who has written a lot of guitar music including pieces for Martha Masters, Denis Azabagic, and Michael Partington. He responded to the post enthusiastically, and came up with the idea of a group commission. He describes it as, ""Backpack Pieces"... a suite of 10 movements, each under 2 minutes and with its own unique character. They will be easy to sight-read, play, and even memorize, and I envision it as music that exists purely for the joy of playing it." Michael wrote the first movement, available at http://michaelkarmon.com/pdf/BPsample.pdf as a sample of the kind of music he has in mind.

Each of nine people (I've already signed up for the project) can commission a movement that will be dedicated to them for a small fee. Once completed, the whole score will be available exclusively to the commissioners for 6 months to play, perform, record, or give away, but is not to be sold. After that time, it will be available as a free download from Michael's site. He will retain the copyright, as he would for any commission.

Commissioners will have their choice of movement in order of their participation in the project. Payment would not be due until the piece is complete which should be by the end of the year.

If you are interested, please use this thread to verbally commit to a movement, then PM or email Michael or I to work out the details.

I think this is a great opportunity to have a piece of music of your own, to support the creation of new repertoire that is not aimed exclusively at professional-level players, and a gracious offer from Michael, who says, "I have two main reasons for wanting to write this piece. First, I intend it as a friendly gesture toward the many enthusiastic and energetic list members. And second, I've been wanting to write some relatively easy music, and this project seems like a perfect opportunity."
Last edited by av8t0r on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too many guitars, not enough time.

David Norton

Re: Commissioning Guitar Compositions: A Proposal

Post by David Norton » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Roughly how much is "a small fee"? $100? $1000?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

av8t0r

Post by av8t0r » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:28 pm

$50. I didn't want this to be about the money, which is incidental to the project, but I guess I should have known it would be the first question.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Count me in!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

plus me.

dcarlso3

Post by dcarlso3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:24 pm

OK I'm in...

av8t0r

Post by av8t0r » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Great! Thanks for your participation! Six more spots.

classykid817

Post by classykid817 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Add me too.

Thanks,
Kenny

David.Smyth

Post by David.Smyth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Great idea - please count me in too.

Thanks,
David
D05 Student
Guitar: Yamaha G-235 (1980)
Strings: D'Addario Pro-Arté EJ45 Normal Tension
Recorder: Canon mvx250i & Roland R-09HR

franks59

Post by franks59 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Me too.

Frank

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 am

I'm in, great idea!

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 am

If I write a piece, I can assure you that it would be simple. :? I would love to try to be part of your project, it sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm leaving for England in a few days and won't have access to my guitar for 2 weeks, will that be a problem?

What if I write a piece and you don't like it? Can we just pass on to the next person or would you want me to twiddle with it until it's up to par? I'm pretty good at twiddling.
I really would like to do this.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

mandarin

Post by mandarin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:06 am

im assuming this project is limited to solo repertoire. If this would include a guitar duo, i (and my duo buddy) would love to be part of it :)

regards
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:22 am

I saw this post and felt an urgent need to register to be a part of it! I hope you will forgive me for having a "young" account :P

This sounds like a most interesting proposal, and I would very much like to be a part of it.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 am

KeMe wrote:If I write a piece, I can assure you that it would be simple. :? I would love to try to be part of your project, it sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm leaving for England in a few days and won't have access to my guitar for 2 weeks, will that be a problem?

What if I write a piece and you don't like it? Can we just pass on to the next person or would you want me to twiddle with it until it's up to par? I'm pretty good at twiddling.
I really would like to do this.

Kay :sorride:
I think you misread, Michael Karmon is the one composing the pieces.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”