SE83 Torres 11-string - build question

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Tim Buckley

SE83 Torres 11-string - build question

Post by Tim Buckley » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:51 am

A friend wants me to build him a 10-string guitar, closely modelled on the SE 83 plans in Romanillos book on Torres for an 11-stringed instrument.

Are there any structural or sonic issues that people are aware of with the extra string tension and extra long bridge? I don't see anything in Romanillos' catalogue description that jumps out.

I'm assuming that at least some of the added tension will be counteracted by the stiffness provided by the very long bridge. I'm also guessing that the very long bridge may make for quite a different sound profile.

Thanks,
Tim

hanredman

Re: SE83 Torres 11-string - build question

Post by hanredman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:44 am

Hi Tim,

I have built a number of 10-strings, and after the first one, where I made the top too thick, I have started building them exactly like a normal 6 string, except that I add a little to the height of the braces, and I use a bridge patch, which I don't normally use. You can extend the Spanish foot a little, and make it wider. Also, leave the back say 0.5mm thicker, and make the back braces a little wider and taller. That's it.
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

hanredman

Post by hanredman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:51 am

Also, it is a good idea to reinforce the neck somehow, but rather use carbon strips, and not a trussrod, because you are already going to have problems with a heavy neck, diving to the floor at every opportunity. Use a heavier endblock to counter the weight of the neck.
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

Tim Buckley

Post by Tim Buckley » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:57 am

Thank you!

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”