Introduction and a call for advice

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Sethmillerguitars

Introduction and a call for advice

Post by Sethmillerguitars » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Hello forum, my name is Seth Miller, I am a semi-professional luthier. I was recently approached to build an 11 string bartolex alto classical harp guitar. Little out of my normal element but interested in the project. Was wondering if anyone can help me track down a blueprint/plan for one? Thanks for any help!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Introduction and a call for advice

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Hello Seth and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Sethmillerguitars

Post by Sethmillerguitars » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:48 am

well I'm a little disappointed with the lack of help on this one. Maybe i posted in the wrong category. Anyways I did contact a luthier that has experience in this model so he gave me some reference points and measurements.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:47 am

Sethmillerguitars wrote:well I'm a little disappointed with the lack of help on this one. Maybe i posted in the wrong category.
Hi Seth,

Given the number of new posts daily on the forum as a whole, and that many members use the "New posts" search option to list the titles of all new posts across the whole forum rather than just concentrating on individual subforums, it happens that only a minority of members will bother to read introductions, or open posts with very vague appeals for advice. A better approach would have been to post a separate introduction in our "Introduce yourself" area (though that's not worth doing that now) and then to post your question separately in this subforum with a more specific title like "Any advice on building 11 string bartolex alto classical harp guitar?" which would stand a better chance of attracting the attention of those who might be in a position to help (still worth doing though of course there's no guarantee that someone would know of any relevant plans). Anyway I'm glad to hear to did find some help eventually, albeit outside the forum.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Here's a thread on the alto guitar forum where a luthier put his drawing with dimensions.

Bartolex 11-string alto guitars are only 550mm, probably taken from a requinto scale. Most are 570-590.

http://altoguitar.com/index.php?option= ... 25&catid=8

ONE MORE THING - and I think this is very important. Traditionally the alto guitar has the nut going across 7 strings, then all the rest have successively longer extensions in order to provide more and more tension to the basses, allowing you to use a 6th string for all the basses.

I highly suggest you make the nut go across 8 strings instead of 7. There are occasions when you really want to be able to fret that 8th string, but if it has the usual extension it screws that up. I actually had a luthier (German Vazquez Rubio) remove the 8th string extension on my alto guitar and make a new nut that goes across 8 strings. It is sooooo much better. It turns out that the perfect string for this is an Aranjuez 7th string from their 10-string set. It's not the only choice, but it's really good because not only is it the right tension, but it's gold colored and makes it so much easier to glance down and identify which bass is which quickly.

Sethmillerguitars

Post by Sethmillerguitars » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Thank you for your link and also the bit of advice. I'm doing a call with the customer today to go over details, I'll bring up the idea with him..

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”