Upcoming 13 string Dresden Guitar

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
2handband

Re: Upcoming 13 string Dresden Guitar

Post by 2handband » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Emil Krasich wrote:
2handband wrote:Damn I want one of those, but probably will never own one. I can't imagine how you'd control all the sympathetic vibration anyway...
Where it makes so much baroque lute music easier to play, stopping a bass note that shouldn't be sounding is definitely the biggest challenge after programming your thumb to always hit the right bass note (you need to not look actually, hahah!). This will be a lot easier and more comfortable than baroque lute though in my opinion, plus I can keep my nails.
I can imagine. I'm probably a little too anal about it, really. 25 year of playing rock guitar has it deeply engrained in my psyche that if I didn't deliberately set it into motion it HAS to be damped.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:44 pm

I feel jealous even if I already own two Dresden!

Concerning dampening of the basses and controlling the sympathetic vibration I'll start a thread about it when I have more time. Should be interesting to receive insight from several multi-string players.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Maybe you need to add a double top Dresden to your collection :D . The response is unreal on it. That would be great to start talking about dampening. I learned quite a bit about it this weekend through experimentation and really requires you to play through pieces glacially slow. I've been putting together exercises on dampening with both slow and fast ascending bass lines.

I'm essentially replanting on the previous bass note when moving slower and trying to use the flat edge of my thumb to dampen 3+ strings. Another technique that I used a fair bit on 6 strings was to dampen 2 strings by placing my thumb in between them. Other dampening that I've been using is prepared planting with the right hand fingers and muting strings with the left hand. I also, dampen bass notes sometimes on the last 16th of a beat prior to a next note particularly if there are several strings between notes.

I've played the guitar for about 20 to 25 hours since Friday. This dresden has a darker, rounder tone likely on account of the cedar outer layer and double top which also seems to give notes a stronger fundamental. Alain, do you use the strings that Michael orders from Boston catlines or have you moved to something else? I find some of the treble strings to be a bit too thin in diameter at times.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 pm

Emil Krasich wrote: Alain, do you use the strings that Michael orders from Boston catlines or have you moved to something else? I find some of the treble strings to be a bit too thin in diameter at times.
I use the same strings except for the first where I use just a nylon d'Addario and the fourth where I use a Pyramid silver wounded lute string #1114.

I found the first in carbon too thin and the fourth too fat. I just hate that big Savarez carbon for the fourth. It sound just dead.

I decided to make a short video with dampening examples. I should post it during the weekend.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:29 am

I use the same strings except for the first where I use just a nylon d'Addario and the fourth where I use a Pyramid silver wounded lute string #1114.
I have my 10-string tuned up a whole step to F# and use a D'Addario J43 Light gauge 1st string for 1=F#. It works very well.

For my 4=E I use a D'Addario .025W. I have been considering going one thickness higher to a .026W. Since your 4th is F (a half step higher than mine), I wonder if the .025W might be something that would work for you.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Alain Cloutier wrote:
Emil Krasich wrote: Alain, do you use the strings that Michael orders from Boston catlines or have you moved to something else? I find some of the treble strings to be a bit too thin in diameter at times.

I found the first in carbon too thin and the fourth too fat. I just hate that big Savarez carbon for the fourth. It sound just dead.

I decided to make a short video with dampening examples. I should post it during the weekend.

Do you think that a hard tension E d'Addario is okay for the 1st string on a 640 scale at 415 hertz so it's still literally an E or did you go lighter? I'll check out the pyramid strings. I agree that the 4th string sounds just too tubby. Perhaps a higher tension Oasis 3rd string might work too, but wound is probably the way to go.

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm

It's lovely. Congratulations. The more of you that get these, the better chance I get to see new videos, so I'm all for it.
-mitch

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Emil Krasich wrote:
Alain Cloutier wrote:

Do you think that a hard tension E d'Addario is okay for the 1st string on a 640 scale at 415 hertz so it's still literally an E or did you go lighter? I'll check out the pyramid strings. I agree that the 4th string sounds just too tubby. Perhaps a higher tension Oasis 3rd string might work too, but wound is probably the way to go.
Yes, for the first string, just use whatever you use as a first string in a regular 6 strings guitar. When tuning the F @ 415 you get the same tension as E @ 440 Hz.
For the 4th string, I tried a nylon high tension G string, but the tension was still too low. I changed to a regular D string (the usual 4th string of a guitar), medium tension, and it is much better. My guitar is 650 mm, but I don´t this small difference matters.
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Using a high tension pro arte for the first string made a huge difference! I'm also considering using a normal tension B tuned up a step for the second string. I've also taken Alain's advice and ordered the wound strings for the 4th string to get more volume out of it. I'll probably try an extra high tension carbon g string for the 4th as well and see if that is okay or not. Having a blast learning this instrument!

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:20 am

Here is my first video on the guitar, the largo movement from Falkenhagen's g minor sonata:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=111293

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Congrats, that guitar sounds and looks great!
I wouldn't want to have to change strings on it too frequently, though!

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”